• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

PBC Turkey Advice Needed

bs617

Found some matches.
Reaction score
So I'm planning on cooking a fresh 16lb turkey in my PBC on Friday and would appreciate advice, tips etc from those of you who have successfully cooked a turkey on the PBC. I have watched PBC video on this but I am interested in what has yielded the best results.

Do you recommend I
-hang the whole turkey as in the PBC video,
-cut in half and half and hang each separately
-put it a pan
-use some other method.

What about juices, if I want to catch juices for gravy (I'm not sure if need/will make gravy) is the only method to cook in a pan? If I don't catch the juices will they tend to put out the coals (I have struggled at times with keeping temps up on my PBC).

And finally, when smoking a turkey (I have read much on this but still would like advice) should I brine, inject, rub? Any recipe recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend cooking the PBC whole per the instructions in the video. I would not try to catch the juices, as the juices falling on the coals provide much of the smokey flavor. You could always make your gravy separately perhaps by using some drippings from a chicken you may have cooked earlier in the oven.

I am about ready to put a 13lb turkey on the PBC. We always cook a smaller bird the day before Thanksgiving so we have enough for leftovers. this will be the first time my wife let me actually smoke one for Thanksgiving. Will let you know how it goes. Best of luck to you.

I smoked a 21 pound bird last Christmas in my PBC. Could barely get the lid on as i sat it on the rack, no pan. Smoked beautifully in about four hours. Tomorrow I am doing an 18.5 pound bird in my OTG, with a pan below.

I did two 15 lb's Sunday in mine. Just hook and leave them be. Trust in the PBC and its miracale science.

I would recommend cooking the PBC whole per the instructions in the video. I would not try to catch the juices, as the juices falling on the coals provide much of the smokey flavor. You could always make your gravy separately perhaps by using some drippings from a chicken you may have cooked earlier in the oven.

I am about ready to put a 13lb turkey on the PBC. We always cook a smaller bird the day before Thanksgiving so we have enough for leftovers. this will be the first time my wife let me actually smoke one for Thanksgiving. Will let you know how it goes. Best of luck to you.

Just put mine on. Should take about 3 hours or so!

Attachments

• IMG_20141126_115228177.jpg
    IMG_20141126_115228177.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 375
I followed the PBC instructions and my 19 pounder took about 5 hours, but it was cold out here. It was my first time using the PBC. It turned out great, everybody enjoyed it.

Attachments

• 20141126_173516.jpg
    20141126_173516.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 327
  • 20141126_153530.jpg
    20141126_153530.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 326
As to the gravy - cut off the large pieces of fat that typically hang on the flaps to the carcass opening, render them down almost to the smoking point, then use the renderings for the gravy base. If'n your bird comes with guts and neck in those little bags inside the bird, chop up the neck and the gizzard, saute them to get the flavor eveloped, then simmer them for a while, and use that for the liquid part of the gravy.

I have done 3 turkeys before today. I spatchcock them and use the grate. If you don't use the rebar the PBC will run a lot hotter and the the temps will get up to the low 300's. I usually get one between 13 - 15 lbs. Inject your favorite solution into the breasts and rub it down with olive oil and rub with your favorite. I pull up the skin and use the rub on the meat and pull the skin back in place. I then place a couple chunks of wood, I use apple or cherry in the charcoal basket and light a full chimney. After 20 minutes pour the lit chimney on top of the charcoal bed place the bird on the grate and grab a beer. They have been taking around 3 hours to reach temperature.
Hope yours came out good.

I cooked a 16 pounder a few weeks ago on the PBC. I used patio daddios brine overnight. I then coated it with olive oil and dry rubbed it. It came out great. Yesterday I cooked a 21 pounder using patio daddios brine overnight. I used Oak Ridge BBQ game bird and chicken dry rub after it was coated with olive oil. I hung that turkey on the rebar and was nervous at first because it was a lot bigger then the 16 pounder. It hung for about 6 hours without any problems. I threw some applewood chips in there occasionally during the smoke. It was the best tasting turkey i've ever had. The first time I cooked the turkey for Thanksgiving and everyone agreed it was one of the best turkeys they've ever had.

rehless "I smoked a 21 pound bird last Christmas in my PBC. Could barely get the lid on as i sat it on the rack, no pan."

Rehless, I was nervous about hanging the 21 pounder and emailed Noah. I got a response that a 21 pounder on the grates would be too big and the lid would not close. He responded that the 21 pounder could easily hang on the rebar. I watched the turkey video prior to cooking yesterday as a refresher and I believe he states in the video you can hang a turkey up to 35 pounds.

Thanks for the advice - pics of the results

I did a dry brine, butterball and rub per amazingribs. It was 30F out but the bird was done in 3hrs 20min. As you can see one hook wasn't in as good as I thought and eventually pulled through.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 281
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 280
I've got an 18lb'er going in the PBC within an hour. Thanksgiving dinner, day 2.:biggrin1:

Back