Ribs cooked 3 ways side by side (foil, paper, unwrapped)

Baby Back Maniac

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Last week I went down and hung out with T-roy Cooks, James from Aim em and Claim em smokers (channel & bbq team), and David from Adrenaline BBQ Company. We shot a video for Dave in the morning and then he had to catch a flight so he only makes a brief cameo.

After that we cooked 3 racks of spare ribs side by side on Troy's Yoder offset smoker. After 4 hours we wrapped one rack in foil and one rack in butcher paper (and left the 3rd alone). A couple hours later we unwrapped them, sauced them, and then did a taste test. The results were a lot different than I was expecting.

Warning: This video has a nice chill vive to it but it IS longer than average but the reason is there was a lot of good info so I had a hard time trimming it down. I did manage to cut out about 8 minutes via the use of time lapses but I hated doing it because there was some good commentary...it just wasn't necessary. Also the taste test test scene was long but again, you kinda get to experience it as we do. I figure if you are willing to click on a 22 minute video, you probably won't mind. lol

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/KYC9FDQhbM4

Nice video.

Id like to see each method done independent. Its like you modified the cook plan to work for all three instead of making a specific cook plan for each method. Its almost like in the effort to go head to head compromises were made to each process.

Now i know this would be very hard to do logistically and may even add more varibles. Anyway still appreciate the work yall put into this

I kind of did this on this past weekend. I wrapped two baby racks and just let a rack of St Louie alone. I wrapped with honey, brown sugar and butter. The St Louis rack I continued to spritz with apple juice and added rub throughout the day. Hands down the wrapped ribs were the best. Everybody agreed. Smoked with Cherry and Hickory.

I tried butcher paper once. I'd swear we could taste the paper.

I really enjoyed the video and all 3 of y’all are great. As a foil, turned naked, turned BP guy, this was really unexpected. I certainly think you conducted a fair test, but, honestly, I’d like to hear y’all address rack-to-rack variation. Maybe you considered that in your ratings and I just didn’t pickup on that. On the video I couldn’t see much difference in bark but I *thought* the some ring on 1 rack (can’t remember which one) looked different.

Thanks for confusing my world guys. Not sure what to do on this weekend’s cook. Thanks a lot... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Important to know the temp variation across that Wichita... being closer or farther from the firebox seems to be a big possible variable in the product... pulling them all at the same time also seems a bit of a variable; the ‘crutch’ and BP accelerate the finish; naked should take the longest all other things being equal.

Great video. I’ve done the same test with back ribs on a pellet (even temps) and pulled each rack when the bend was the same (fastest off was foil, then BP, last naked by the bend test rather than time) and I liked naked best but BP was liked by most everyone else who tried them...

What's with the over use of the BP when wrapping? If I remember correctly, it is the same thing on the brisket video. I do Memphis style for ribs so I keep it unwrapped...

Nice video.

Id like to see each method done independent. Its like you modified the cook plan to work for all three instead of making a specific cook plan for each method. Its almost like in the effort to go head to head compromises were made to each process.

Now i know this would be very hard to do logistically and may even add more varibles. Anyway still appreciate the work yall put into this

Yep. you are exactly right. One of my regrets looking back is that I didn't explicitly explain that. The original point was to isolate the effect of the wrap vs non-wrap all other things being equal...and I'm still not sure they were exactly but it was as close as we could get knowing what we knew at the time. Now we can build on it. Really appreciate you watching!

What's with the over use of the BP when wrapping? If I remember correctly, it is the same thing on the brisket video. I do Memphis style for ribs so I keep it unwrapped...

Yeah, good point. Honestly I wasn't thinking about it at the time because I was thinking about the camera. He was going side ways on the roll so it didn't strike me as excessive at the time.

Back