New Years Spare Rib Experiment - w/ Pr0N

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Fired up a rack of St Louis Spares over hickory with the intention of having a head-to-head competition between our homemade mustard sauce vs. Bone Suckin' Mustard sauce. After I made a small batch of our stuff, based loosely on Tidewater Thin (Thanks to Viking72!), I cracked open a jar of the Bone Suckin' Mustard only to discover that it tastes like sweet pickles. Uhm, no thank you.

Thanks to NCGrimbo, I hit the ribs with some Carolina Table Salt Rub (nice, basic flavor that doesn't move the ribs in any one direction more than others) and let 'em ride on the 2-0.75-0.5 timetable over hickory at about 250-275F. I foiled them and add some apple juice during the middle interval before firming them back up.

2016-01-01%2017.19.07_zpsc02opdkp.jpg

Once firmed up, I cut the rack in half to complete my new plan of action:
a North Carolina (Cackalaky Cheerwine glaze)
1eb6dc_086f8786ddc645fb9509d53415605a58.jpg

vs. South Carolina (Wicken Yanks Guerrilla Gold sauce)
ee3ba26c-37c0-4c72-9270-c67a018cf166_zpsjt7lqtep.png

competition.

2016-01-01%2017.23.38_zpscbs3eods.jpg

After 10 minutes to set the first coat, I applied another and let 'em sit for 5 minutes longer before pulling.

2016-01-01%2017.34.06_zpsdacqsoww.jpg

Momma's collard greens and baked beans are almost ready, so the bones are resting in a 150F oven just to stay warm. We'll be ready to chow down in a few minutes and I'll have some more pRoN for you along with the results of this highly scientific experiment.

Last edited:
I can highly recommend the Cheerwine Sauce (as a glaze) on ribs. This is my second attempt at this, and it works very well. Barbecue and Cheerwine were meant for each other. It adds a really nice black cherry sweetness to the ribs and deepens the flavor.

I'm usually not a fan of mustard sauce on ribs (fan of a thin mustard sauce on pulled pork). That said, our thicker spicy mustard sauce works pretty well over top of the ribs, but doesn't add any additional sweetness. Big boost in depth of flavor here... but the aesthetics aren't as nice as the Cheerwine.

2016-01-01%2018.35.02_zps9szvntgk.jpg

Mrs Shadow's collard greens and baked beans were off the hook. Collards have been in the slow cooker for the past 7 hours with onion, garlic, and a ham hock that she shredded before serving.
2016-01-01%2018.39.31%20HDR_zpsspwwd4wb.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and having a peek. This isn't our traditional New Year's Day dinner, but it sure was an enjoyable alternative.

Shadow looks good and thanks for the side by side comparison. I think the greens and beans stole the show though.
Jesse

Nice ribs! Happy New Year from Mollusk Va.
Stay safe as you can.

Later,
Doug

I can highly recommend the Cheerwine Sauce (as a glaze) on ribs. This is my second attempt at this, and it works very well. Barbecue and Cheerwine were meant for each other. It adds a really nice black cherry sweetness to the ribs and deepens the flavor.

I'm usually not a fan of mustard sauce on ribs (fan of a thin mustard sauce on pulled pork). That said, our thicker spicy mustard sauce works pretty well over top of the ribs, but doesn't add any additional sweetness. Big boost in depth of flavor here... but the aesthetics aren't as nice as the Cheerwine.

2016-01-01%2018.35.02_zps9szvntgk.jpg

Mrs Shadow's collard greens and baked beans were off the hook. Collards have been in the slow cooker for the past 7 hours with onion, garlic, and a ham hock that she shredded before serving.
2016-01-01%2018.39.31%20HDR_zpsspwwd4wb.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and having a peek. This isn't our traditional New Year's Day dinner, but it sure was an enjoyable alternative.

Ribs is ribs and I know they were real good. That said though I'm with you on the collards. Those greens look to be way off the hook. :clap2:

Fine looking plate of food and thanks for the reviews.

Shadow,

Awesome plate of southern comfort food there....... And I really like the review with the side by side comparisons... Great job.

I hope you have a very Happy and Prosperous New Year as well...

Looks good. I see your bringing the new year in right.

Ribs is ribs and I know they were real good. That said though I'm with you on the collards. Those greens look to be way off the hook. :clap2:

I think the greens and beans stole the show though.

As per usual, there's only so much I can do on the smoker to "wow" a guest.

Luckily, a little while ago, my Mom kicked me a recipe for collards that take the cake (and saying that they're better than my late grandmother's collards is saying something). View attachment DixieCollardGreens.pdf (Hope the attachment works... first attempt at this).

Mrs. Shadow's beans have been the true star of the show since I first attempted to make barbecue at home.

Thanks for the kind words. Give that collard recipe a try.

The whole plate looks awesome. I'm liking the ribs both ways. Very nice! :thumb:

As per usual, there's only so much I can do on the smoker to "wow" a guest.

Luckily, a little while ago, my Mom kicked me a recipe for collards that take the cake (and saying that they're better than my late grandmother's collards is saying something). View attachment 120569 (Hope the attachment works... first attempt at this).

Mrs. Shadow's beans have been the true star of the show since I first attempted to make barbecue at home.

Thanks for the kind words. Give that collard recipe a try.

Got the collard greens recipe downloaded. Now, I want Mrs. Shadow's baked bean recipe. PLEASE?

Got the collard greens recipe downloaded. Now, I want Mrs. Shadow's baked bean recipe. PLEASE?

I managed to pry this out of her, but I can't get her to be more specific.

- Start with Can of Bush's Maple Bacon Baked Beans
Add the following ingredients to the beans as they heat on the stove.
Ketchup
Mustard
Maple Syrup/Brown Sugar/Molasses (whatever you have that's generally dark and sweet)
Worcestershire Sauce
Minced Garlic
Minced or Finely Chopped Onion
About 1 Tbsp of whatever Dry Rub you're using on your 'cue for the day.

Hope that'll help give some ideas.

That looks good, being from the land of Cheerwine I know it was good!

Looks great. Thanks for your service. Cheerwine makes everything rock...:thumb:

Back