• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

sliced picnic

DRMSMKER

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was pulling butts out of the freezer and notice one said picnic on it. From what I've read here, people smoke it just like a butt, but to a higher temp. Well when you smoke a butt for slicing you tend to only go til a temp of around 175ish. do people slice picnics too? Do they take longer to cook?

I was pulling butts out of the freezer and notice one said picnic on it. From what I've read here, people smoke it just like a butt, but to a higher temp. Well when you smoke a butt for slicing you tend to only go til a temp of around 175ish. do people slice picnics too? Do they take longer to cook?

Of course. I love spiral sliced smoked picnic hams. They are done around 140-150F though. Not sure where you got 175F for sliced.

I agree on pulling at 175ish and wrapping for about an hour since it is from the shoulder and there is some connective tissue that needs to break down. I love sliced picnic, better flavor than fresh ham IMO and is excellent with baked apples from the smoker.

I agree on pulling at 175ish and wrapping for about an hour since it is from the shoulder and there is some connective tissue that needs to break down. I love sliced picnic, better flavor than fresh ham IMO and is excellent with baked apples from the smoker.

You must be running hot. 225F till IT 150F is perfect for thin slices. Its been awhile since i smoked a picnic so i cant remember how long it took. I know it took longer then a boston butt/shoulder.

Also, are we talking bone in Picnic? That's what i assumed. And yes, ive seen boneless Picnics in the grocery store, so i wont rule that out of OP's post.

You must be running hot. 225F till IT 150F is perfect for thin slices. Its been awhile since i smoked a picnic so i cant remember how long it took. I know it took longer then a boston butt/shoulder.

Also, are we talking bone in Picnic? That's what i assumed. And yes, ive seen boneless Picnics in the grocery store, so i wont rule that out of OP's post.

Yes it's bone in.

An IT of 150 F is nowhere near hot enough for a fresh picnic. It would be like rubber. Maybe you're thinking of a cured picnic, which just needs to be heated through?

Of course. I love spiral sliced smoked picnic hams. They are done around 140-150F though. Not sure where you got 175F for sliced.

An IT of 150 F is nowhere near hot enough for a fresh picnic. It would be like rubber. Maybe you're thinking of a cured picnic, which just needs to be heated through?

Yep, a pre-cooked picnic ham only needs to be safely reheated. The OP is talking about actually cooking a green picnic. I would probably go in the 170-180 range for slicing.

Back