MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #61
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Green Mountain Daniel Boone Non WiFi - $549

https://greenmountaingrills.com/grills/

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #62
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Green Mountain uses Digital instead of PID -but haven’t seen much issues on their controllers lately. Seen some issues 2015-16 of controllers being replaced under warranty pretty regular....
GMG uses PID for their temp control. Not sure what you mean by "digital".
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #63
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
GMG uses PID for their temp control. Not sure what you mean by "digital".
from what I've read there is Analog, Digital and PID.

The type of controller, like any other pellet grill feature, influences the purchasing decision, but often for the wrong reasons. A PID controller for a pellet grill, for example, is a fairly sophisticated industrial mechanism that uses a continuous feedback loop to make very precise adjustments of the fan and auger. That may be all well and good, but the end goal is not just temperature control but temperature control that produces the best quality and quantity of smoke. If the goal was simply precise temperature control, then why not just cook your ribs and brisket in the oven.

In fact, a digital controller, one that allows a +/- 10*F temperature swing (as opposed to the +/- .5*F swing of the PID) may actually produce MORE good smoke because of more pellet smoldering in the temperature cycle. We believe that’s one reason why Grilla and Silverbac produce a smoke flavor equal to or superior than any PID grill on the market.

We’re not stating that the PID controller is not a good controller. We’re simply pointing out that there is no documented evidence that correlates better smoke production or flavor to the more costly PID controller.

Grilla Grills doesn’t believe in frills that offer pretend luxury. We don’t want excess. We want results. So, rely on Grilla Grills to deliver maximum smoke when you set the digital temperature control. Flowing from under the rack, the robust smoke produces the deep, rich, unbeatable flavor.

https://grillagrills.com/pid-controllers/

Everything on Green mountains Website says Digital Controller - NO mention of PID........?

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 07-08-2018 at 04:32 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2018, 04:30 PM   #64
SmittyJonz

Old 07-08-2018, 04:30 PM   #65
Joshw
Babbling Farker

That's from Grilla Grillz not Green Mountain, and it is marketing nonsense, from a company that doesn't want to use a PID controller. Not saying anything about Grilla, but that comment is nonsense. Just like Rec Tec saying that thinner metal holds temps better than thicker metal. You have to take the source in account when researching. It's not the temp swing that creates smoke.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #66
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
That's from Grilla Grillz not Green Mountain, and it is marketing nonsense, from a company that doesn't want to use a PID controller. Not saying anything about Grilla, but that comment is nonsense. Just like Rec Tec saying that thinner metal holds temps better than thicker metal. You have to take the source in account when researching. It's not the temp swing that creates smoke.
thats probally why I typed "FROM: https://grillagrills.com/pid-controllers/ "

and this was in answer to sleebus.jones saying he doesn't know what I mean by Digital........

Old 07-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #67
Joshw
Babbling Farker

I was referring to this.

Green Mountain uses Digital instead of PID -but haven’t seen much issues on their controllers lately. Seen some issues 2015-16 of controllers being replaced under warranty pretty regular....

Then you posted the comment about Grilla.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #68
SmittyJonz

Quote:
I was referring to this.

exactly - everything thing on the Website says Digital, not PID. the threads on pellet People forums about replacing their Green mountain controllers under warranty all call them Digital controllers.........All the Brands I see wih PID says PID controller? So I just Now emailed Green Mountain and Asked......and we'll See.....maybe it is PID? -but I'm going by what the Website says in their description.......

Old 07-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #69
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
exactly - everything thing on the Website says Digital, not PID. All the Brands I see wih PID says PID controller? So I just Now emailed Green Mountain and Asked......and we'll See.....maybe it is PID? -but I'm going by what the Website says in their description.......
OK, I got confused when you jumped from GMG to Grilla. Still stick by my nonsense comment though.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:43 PM   #70
SmittyJonz

Quote:
OK, I got confused when you jumped from GMG to Grilla. Still stick by my nonsense comment though.
the Grilla qoute was what I could find explaining difference in Digital and PID controllers. Green Mountains is All about their WiFi.............
I read a thread on a Pellet forum explaining the difference in Detail but that was Last Week and I didn't Bookmark it (wish I had) and can't find it now.........

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 07-08-2018 at 05:01 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #71
Joshw
Babbling Farker

From GMG operating manual

Controller: Your controller is a state-of-the-art PID
(calculus-based) computer which will keep your grill
at a reasonably steady temperatures

Old 07-08-2018, 04:46 PM   #72
SmittyJonz

Quote:
From GMG operating manual

Controller: Your controller is a state-of-the-art PID
(calculus-based) computer which will keep your grill
at a reasonably steady temperatures
Good to Know- I could Not find a description on their Website except for "Digital"

Old 07-08-2018, 04:47 PM   #73
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
exactly - everything thing on the Website says Digital, not PID. the threads on pellet People forums about replacing their Green mountain controllers under warranty all call them Digital controllers.........All the Brands I see wih PID says PID controller? So I just Now emailed Green Mountain and Asked......and we'll See.....maybe it is PID? -but I'm going by what the Website says in their description.......
Have you checked out that controller for the CookShack PG500 grill? You can actually change the drop rate to get wider swings and more smoke.

PID's are not the best way,IMO….but the Mrs would tell you that I'm never hardly right anyways.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #74
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Good to Know- I could Not find a description on their Website except for "Digital"
https://greenmountaingrills.com/wp-c...Manual_Web.pdf

Old 07-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #75
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt at Both Endz View Post
Have you checked out that controller for the CookShack PG500 grill? You can actually change the drop rate to get wider swings and more smoke.

PID's are not the best way,IMO….but the Mrs would tell you that I'm never hardly right anyways.
No cuz they are above price range I have been looking at........
Like I siad in this thread - I think I want PID from all the controller swaps on the cheaper Units I seen guys doing......they all go to PID - Savanah or Smoke Daddy - maybe cuz thats all there is aftermarket.?