I was curious, why is it you don't see the PBJ anywhere online yet except for PBC's own website whereas the original PBC is everywhere from Home Depot to Amazon to numerous other stores/sites? Are they having trouble meeting the demand for the Junior?

I don't have the ash pan yet and I noticed that after cooking a butt, there was a good bit of drippings that made it through the coal basket to the bottom of the PBC. Should I just let it roll, or try to clean it out. I don't want liquid and ash to result in rust. Any thoughts?

I don't have the ash pan yet and I noticed that after cooking a butt, there was a good bit of drippings that made it through the coal basket to the bottom of the PBC. Should I just let it roll, or try to clean it out. I don't want liquid and ash to result in rust. Any thoughts?

I would clean it out and get a 16" light duty pizza tray (they're around six bucks ... I got mine at a Gordon Food Service store). You can line that with aluminum foil for easy clean up. Getting it out is another challenge. Some have attached it to the fire basket. I got three lengths of light chain and attached to the pan rim. I had the chains meet in a key-ring in the middle. I have since replaced it with the official ash pan, but it worked fine as a temporary solution.

RS - So how did the briskets turn out?

BKettle - I'd assume they are testing the market for PBJ prior to blowing it out across multiple outlets.

Johnny - Before I got the ash pan, I just lined the bottom with two layers of heavy duty foil.

RS - So how did the briskets turn out?

BKettle - I'd assume they are testing the market for PBJ prior to blowing it out across multiple outlets.

Johnny - Before I got the ash pan, I just lined the bottom with two layers of heavy duty foil.

Great! They where in the PBC for about 4 1/2 hours. I wrapped and went into oven at about 275 for another 5 hours. That was about 4 AM they went to resting in the oven till the game. Moist and delicious, some parts where fall apart soft. I’m not sure if that was from over cooking or the Long resting period. My friends job was to stay up with them and pull them out when they are ready, I think he let one go till IT of 215 (he fell asleep)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome! Good to know that three is doable with a tad bit of tinkering.

I took mine on Sunday to 210-15 IT and then three hours in more foil and the towels but I planned on shredding. Hard to know if yours fell apart due to initial cook or the long hold, like you said.

I just had a couple of the pulled brisket sliders for lunch...I might need to shred the brisket more often. Nice to get the point and the flat all mixed together.

I recommend getting the ash pan too or least using a pizza pan. In addition, I recommend something a Gateway drum guy told me to do about grease cleanup that’s cheap and easy:
1) Go to Autozone or similar store and get a bag of Floor Dry pellets that gear heads use to cleanup oil spills. Non-toxic and they don’t catch fire.
2) Line the PBC bottom with about a 1/4” of pellets. Then cook as usual.
3) Every few cooks I scoop out the grease soaked pellets that are invariably mixed with ash with a dedicated Petmate pooper scooper from Amazon. Takes a few seconds.

In addition to soaking up grease, I theorize that the layer of pellets act as a sort of insulation against the ash causing rust... At least, I haven’t noticed any yet and I do keep the PBC under my porch roof which helps.

It's FRIDAY...or FRIBDAY...see what I did there

Happy Friday, or in my case and I hope yours too...

FriBday as in Friday Rib Day OR

F-RIB-Day OR

F*in RIB DAY!!!

Full slab of beef and 3 racks of baby backs going on in about 2 hours.

I recommend getting the ash pan too or least using a pizza pan. In addition, I recommend something a Gateway drum guy told me to do about grease cleanup that’s cheap and easy:
1) Go to Autozone or similar store and get a bag of Floor Dry pellets that gear heads use to cleanup oil spills. Non-toxic and they don’t catch fire.
2) Line the PBC bottom with about a 1/4” of pellets. Then cook as usual.
3) Every few cooks I scoop out the grease soaked pellets that are invariably mixed with ash with a dedicated Petmate pooper scooper from Amazon. Takes a few seconds.

In addition to soaking up grease, I theorize that the layer of pellets act as a sort of insulation against the ash causing rust... At least, I haven’t noticed any yet and I do keep the PBC under my porch roof which helps.

Is this floor dry you're talking about some kind of clay that absorbs grease?
We have some at work but they look like kitty litter and kind of spongy.

Is this floor dry you're talking about some kind of clay that absorbs grease?
We have some at work but they look like kitty litter and kind of spongy.

I’m at work so I can’t get my bag of it but a quick Google check comes up with similar stuff from Moltan (who I think makes Floor Dry) that’s diatomaceous earth pellets and I recall the bag saying it can double as kitty litter... Which makes using the Petmate pooper scooper to clean rather appropriate, eh? Lol

I’m at work so I can’t get my bag of it but a quick Google check comes up with similar stuff from Moltan (who I think makes Floor Dry) that’s diatomaceous earth pellets and I recall the bag saying it can double as kitty litter... Which makes using the Petmate pooper scooper to clean rather appropriate, eh? Lol

Yeah, diatomaceous ... that's the word I was looking for. :cool: I modified a garden hoe to use as my clean-out tool and even radiused the front to match the curvature of the drum.

1cdc9afc.jpg

Yeah, diatomaceous ... that's the word I was looking for. :cool: I modified a garden hoe to use as my clean-out tool and even radiused the front to match the curvature of the drum.

1cdc9afc.jpg

Sweet! Looks even better than the Petmate scooper. Now you just need a flat edged hoe/shovel to rake the pellets in to your modded hoe and off you go! Fastest and easiest way to get grease out of the bottom of your PBC/UDS that I know of.

I’m cooking a chuck roast for some chopped beef sandwiches. Today was the only day I could cook. How would y’all store the roast if we want to eat it tomorrow? It’s still coming up to temp now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm cooking a 8# full packer tomorrow any idea on timing? I've done two 6# flats that finished in 6 hours (these we're pastrami) and just one 12# full that cooked in 9 hours. Does 7-8 hours sound right? I'm also planning on cubing the point for burnt ends for the first time; should I add just a little more coals to the barrel so while the flat rests there is enough fuel for the burnt ends?

This brisket is really throwing me off. The point is probe tender but the flat is tough and only 165~ according to my DOT. Dinner is planned at 7 but I am only 6.5 hours into the should I panic or just let it ride? It smells fantastic though

Back