MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #8116
shishkabob
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Anthony

Well guys I just want to say thank you to all of you here, I haven't posted much since I joined but I lurk and read y'alls post for advice. This PBC is one cooking machine though. I've been doing smaller cooks like ribs, chicken, and even some pork belly on it while I learned it. last weekend I did my first long cook on it with a pork shoulder, and even though I had a little user caused mishap it still came out great. then yesterday for the game I did a big ol 16 lb brisket, and I honestly think it was the best brisket I've even done. Only thing I have an issue with was there were no left overs lol. I was skeptical of this style of cooker before, I grew up learning and smoking on a big offset stick burner so smoking with charcoal seemed weird to me, but wow this thing outs out amazing food consistently with little work. Sorry I haven't been taking pictures for you guys, but I will in the future. thanks again for all of y'alls tips and advice.
shishkabob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #8117
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Super Bowl cook was a huge success. Skewers are a game changer. Did around 50 wings just from using the space provided by the hanging grate whereas it would take so much cooking time to do that many when using the grate. Pork belly burnt ends were awesome as well. Pulled the brisket for the first time since it would be easier to eat for the party. PBC is amazing.

I also did 12 brats. Did a refuel for the first time once I pulled the pork belly off and put the brisket in the cooler. Just laid some foil down on the ground, pulled the basket out, put in some more wood chunks and filled it back up with KBB. Put it back in the barrel and let it go for 20 minutes or so before putting the wings and brats on. Worked like a charm.

Skewers though. I'm so stupid for not using them until now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180204_121102_176.jpg (56.3 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180204_121102_178.jpg (76.9 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180204_121102_187.jpg (71.8 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180204_153041.jpg (121.3 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180205_001951.jpg (82.2 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180204_143532.jpg (116.2 KB, 308 views)

Old 02-05-2018, 06:33 PM   #8118
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Big cook from BigKing! Nicely done sir!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #8119
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Awesome cook BK!
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2018, 10:20 PM   #8120
rs242
Got Wood.

Just a little update on the PBC, and anyone thinking about getting a one. Before my big cook I was worried the pbc would not be able to handle 3 large packers, so I called them someone answered the phone and had a regular human being conversation about the cook she understood what a brisket was and told me she didn’t think the pbc would hold up. Her main concern was not as I had thought that it was simply too much meat, but rather 3 briskets is a lot of fat dripping and will smother the coals. She suggested going with just 2, I had already trimmed and dry brined 3 and needed to do them. She said I can call on the weekend if I have a “cooking emergency” and needed help even thought the office is closed. She explained that Noah will get back to me if I leave a message. And that’s what I did I called partly for the fun of calling a company’s owner cell phone number (it’s on the recording to call his cell if u need something) and have him deal with your problem. He called me back the next morning I missed his call he apologized for taking so long to get back to me and explained that he had was traveling and had spotty service (to back up what he was saying as he was talking it was very choppy). Anyway he answer my question about the temps, basically told me to crack the lid open for a half hour to get the coals burning. This is something I figured out on my own to get the bbq going and finish my cook. But my point here is the level of costumer service is something I have never seen in my life. I am very impressed and I just wanted to give that over to you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rs242 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2018, 11:21 PM   #8121
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Yep. Great cooker + great customer service + fair price = solid deal.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #8122
Blue Kettle
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : TK

I was curious, why is it you don't see the PBJ anywhere online yet except for PBC's own website whereas the original PBC is everywhere from Home Depot to Amazon to numerous other stores/sites? Are they having trouble meeting the demand for the Junior?
Blue Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #8123
johnnylightnin
Full Fledged Farker

I don't have the ash pan yet and I noticed that after cooking a butt, there was a good bit of drippings that made it through the coal basket to the bottom of the PBC. Should I just let it roll, or try to clean it out. I don't want liquid and ash to result in rust. Any thoughts?

Old 02-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #8124
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
I don't have the ash pan yet and I noticed that after cooking a butt, there was a good bit of drippings that made it through the coal basket to the bottom of the PBC. Should I just let it roll, or try to clean it out. I don't want liquid and ash to result in rust. Any thoughts?
I would clean it out and get a 16" light duty pizza tray (they're around six bucks ... I got mine at a Gordon Food Service store). You can line that with aluminum foil for easy clean up. Getting it out is another challenge. Some have attached it to the fire basket. I got three lengths of light chain and attached to the pan rim. I had the chains meet in a key-ring in the middle. I have since replaced it with the official ash pan, but it worked fine as a temporary solution.
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #8125
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

RS - So how did the briskets turn out?

BKettle - I'd assume they are testing the market for PBJ prior to blowing it out across multiple outlets.

Johnny - Before I got the ash pan, I just lined the bottom with two layers of heavy duty foil.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #8126
rs242
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
RS - So how did the briskets turn out?

BKettle - I'd assume they are testing the market for PBJ prior to blowing it out across multiple outlets.

Johnny - Before I got the ash pan, I just lined the bottom with two layers of heavy duty foil.

Great! They where in the PBC for about 4 1/2 hours. I wrapped and went into oven at about 275 for another 5 hours. That was about 4 AM they went to resting in the oven till the game. Moist and delicious, some parts where fall apart soft. I’m not sure if that was from over cooking or the Long resting period. My friends job was to stay up with them and pull them out when they are ready, I think he let one go till IT of 215 (he fell asleep)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rs242 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2018, 03:17 PM   #8127
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

That's awesome! Good to know that three is doable with a tad bit of tinkering.

I took mine on Sunday to 210-15 IT and then three hours in more foil and the towels but I planned on shredding. Hard to know if yours fell apart due to initial cook or the long hold, like you said.

I just had a couple of the pulled brisket sliders for lunch...I might need to shred the brisket more often. Nice to get the point and the flat all mixed together.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #8128
D&D BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
I recommend getting the ash pan too or least using a pizza pan. In addition, I recommend something a Gateway drum guy told me to do about grease cleanup that’s cheap and easy:
1) Go to Autozone or similar store and get a bag of Floor Dry pellets that gear heads use to cleanup oil spills. Non-toxic and they don’t catch fire.
2) Line the PBC bottom with about a 1/4” of pellets. Then cook as usual.
3) Every few cooks I scoop out the grease soaked pellets that are invariably mixed with ash with a dedicated Petmate pooper scooper from Amazon. Takes a few seconds.

In addition to soaking up grease, I theorize that the layer of pellets act as a sort of insulation against the ash causing rust... At least, I haven’t noticed any yet and I do keep the PBC under my porch roof which helps.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-09-2018, 12:49 PM   #8129
SS13
Knows what a fatty is.

Default It's FRIDAY...or FRIBDAY...see what I did there

Happy Friday, or in my case and I hope yours too...

FriBday as in Friday Rib Day OR

F-RIB-Day OR

F*in RIB DAY!!!

Full slab of beef and 3 racks of baby backs going on in about 2 hours.
SS13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #8130
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D BBQ View Post
I recommend getting the ash pan too or least using a pizza pan. In addition, I recommend something a Gateway drum guy told me to do about grease cleanup that’s cheap and easy:
1) Go to Autozone or similar store and get a bag of Floor Dry pellets that gear heads use to cleanup oil spills. Non-toxic and they don’t catch fire.
2) Line the PBC bottom with about a 1/4” of pellets. Then cook as usual.
3) Every few cooks I scoop out the grease soaked pellets that are invariably mixed with ash with a dedicated Petmate pooper scooper from Amazon. Takes a few seconds.

In addition to soaking up grease, I theorize that the layer of pellets act as a sort of insulation against the ash causing rust... At least, I haven’t noticed any yet and I do keep the PBC under my porch roof which helps.
Is this floor dry you're talking about some kind of clay that absorbs grease?
We have some at work but they look like kitty litter and kind of spongy.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it