MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
Weberlamp
On the road to being a farker

Default Planning for Memphis in May

I am planning on attending Memphis in May this year as a spectator only. I have some friends that are cooking and want to take it all in. I am looking for any advice on where to stay and how long I should attend for. Any help would be great thanks. I will be traveling from Virginia Beach
22"Weber Kettle
300 Gallon Oil Tank Pig Cooker - Piggy Smalls
Pit Master IQ110 - retired
BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 x 2
Mav. ET-732 x 2
Weberlamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
Gary Tomato
is one Smokin' Farker

I traveled solo from Australia to MIMin 2013 and went for the three days and had a great time, primarily because I purchased a VIP Pass which entitled me entry to a VIP area, with alcohol, drinks, food (cooked by Dr BBQ), we got to go around to 6 different teams and try their pork shoulder (included Myron, Melissa Cookston, Red Hot Porkers and a couple of others), samples of comp entries after the judging and other things as well. It was good to have people to talk to, and an area to rest. I also signed up for People's choice judging.

Both of those were paid activities, the VIP Pass was about $425 from memory and the People's Choice $10 or something cheap.

i think it would have been pretty boring for me being solo without those activities to keep me busy.
Gary Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 01:14 PM   #3
BurntFinger_Jason
Full Fledged Farker

Having friends cooking the contest will give you a nice home base. If they give you a team wristband, then you can be there on Wednesday for family night. That's the team party night. Thursday night is the public party and then Friday night starts to settle down as teams get ready for Saturday judging. It just boils down to what you want to do. The whole thing is a blast. Check the website to determine any public activities you want to partake in. The teams will be cooking ancillary contests on Thursday and Friday. There's tours you can sign up for. Plus the teams have plenty of work to do, so I'm sure your buddies could put you to work doing something if you find yourself bored.

There's various hotels in downtown Memphis that are walking distance from the park. A quick google search will plenty of results. We like to stay across the river in West Memphis, AR. The places aren't as nice as downtown and the area is more industrial (and along a noisy highway), but it's quite a bit cheaper. We're only in the room to shower and snooze so it works for us. Downtown hotels will have more creature comforts. We also like to leave vehicles at the hotel and Uber to the festival. The driver will just drop you right at the front gate. It sure beats trying to find parking downtown and then walking to the park.
BurntFinger_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
Navy85
Got rid of the matchlight.

I went with my son several years ago - good advice above. Another consideration for accommodations is AirBnB or VRBO; usually priced competitively.
Navy85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
BAjhawk
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntFinger_Jason View Post
Having friends cooking the contest will give you a nice home base. If they give you a team wristband, then you can be there on Wednesday for family night. That's the team party night. Thursday night is the public party and then Friday night starts to settle down as teams get ready for Saturday judging. It just boils down to what you want to do. The whole thing is a blast. Check the website to determine any public activities you want to partake in. The teams will be cooking ancillary contests on Thursday and Friday. There's tours you can sign up for. Plus the teams have plenty of work to do, so I'm sure your buddies could put you to work doing something if you find yourself bored.

There's various hotels in downtown Memphis that are walking distance from the park. A quick google search will plenty of results. We like to stay across the river in West Memphis, AR. The places aren't as nice as downtown and the area is more industrial (and along a noisy highway), but it's quite a bit cheaper. We're only in the room to shower and snooze so it works for us. Downtown hotels will have more creature comforts. We also like to leave vehicles at the hotel and Uber to the festival. The driver will just drop you right at the front gate. It sure beats trying to find parking downtown and then walking to the park.

So.....How'd you do last year?!?!?
;)
BAjhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
BurntFinger_Jason
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAjhawk View Post
So.....How'd you do last year?!?!?
;)
We brought home a nice souvenir.
BurntFinger_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #7
newtwoq
is one Smokin' Farker

Envious
18.5" and 22.5" WSM's
36” Blackstone
DigiQ DX2
Pit Master IQ110
Mav. ET-732
Thermapen
newtwoq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
kyleb76
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Wherever you decide to stay, make your reservations early. The closer to downtown the earlier your reservation needs to be made.
kyleb76 is offline   Reply With Quote