Live Cook: Beef Ribs and Tri-tip

Melissaredhead

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Keyport, NJ...via Soulard,MO via Missouri farmland
:yawn: Dogs woke me up at 3:30 and I haven't been able to go back to sleep. So what else is there to do but BBQ!
Doing beef ribs and something I've never done:tri tip.
Smoking the beef ribs on pecan with a little cherry. The tritip I'll reverse sear later.
Ribs slathered with yellow mustard and a little hot sauce. Then patted down with my beef rub (salt, black pepper, chili powder, onion, garlic, minced onion and bourbon smoked pepper).
In the rig around 285 until probes like buttah.

The only thing I hate about beef ribs: damn membrane is the worst.

:help: For the tritip I'm was just gonna smoke until IT at 115, rest and crank up the heat and sear it off to 125. I'm always open to suggestions from those of you that have cooked tritip!!

I've been on a big tri tip kick lately. I do a reverse sear on them as well. I like to make a paste of Worcestershire and Bovine Bold and smear that all on it. Then back over with a sprinkle of Bovine Bold. That rub on your ribs sounds great.

Last edited:
Looks great, Melissa! Those are some big bones!

Tri tip u can cook basically any way u want as long as u cook it to 125 it will be good. Make sure u cut against the grain or it will be tough. A lot of people grill them like a steak or do a reverse sear like u are doing. I smoke it the whole way and pull it. Let it rest about 10 mins and then cut it.

I did beef ribs yesterday. I find using a scrubbed screwdriver to lift the membrane helps on them. Or, if I remember, those SS chopsticks someone gave us. I've also used a large crochet hook my wife made the mistake of leaving in sight.

Great looking start !!!

Your tri-tip plan is fine....just remember the grain changes direction at the "elbow" when you go to slice.....:grin:

Very wide-ranging piece of beef, I just put up a low heat cook that went to pulled beef.....

I bet they come out awesome! I use a butter knife to start the membrane, then use a paper towel to get a grip on it and pull like the devil!

Dino bones are wonderful, but for a real treat, ask your butcher for boneless beef ribs next time and cook them like brisket. I pay the same here for boneless as bone in, so not wasting money on huge, useless bones. (other than the cool factor, that is:)

One could also roll and tie the boneless ones and take to medium rare just like prime rib Yummm! :hungry:

I usually end up with 5 to 7 pounds of well trimmed beef that is to die for!

Back