Tri-Tip

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I haven’t cooked a Tri-Tip in quite some time so I just had to remedy that. I thawed out one I had in my freezer and got all my ingredients together.

I smeared on some Worcestershire sauce, then some fresh ground sea salt with garlic, fresh ground black pepper, some steak seasoning and finally some fresh minced rosemary from my garden.

Wrapped it up for an 8 hour rest in the fridge. Shortly before the 8 hours were up I prep’ d my kamado for 2 zone cooking and lite it up. After taking the Tri-Tip out of the fridge, I put a couple of Pecan chunks on the charcoal and placed the Tri-Tip on the indirect side.

Here it is after the Maverick said the I.T. was 112.

I took it off and loosely tented it with foil and opened up the vents for searing. Once the thermometer read 500 degrees (more like 650 on the grate) I placed it on for 3 a minute sear, a 3 minute sear. Here’s a pic without the flash.

After 3 minutes I flipped it and took this pic with the flash.

Brought it inside and let it rest for 10 minutes.

I then cut it in half along the seam so I could cut it against the grain. (See the way the grain is running?)

Sliced

And that’s Money!

I then reserved some for a special project :becky: and vacuum packed the rest.

Yum!

Last edited:
That looks pretty darn tasty. I've never cooked a tri tip, I can't even remember seeing one in our local grocery stores

Looks fantastic great job. :thumb:

What was your cooking temp prior to searing and how long did it take to get to 112F?

Cooked quite righteously! Reserved some for a special project...OK there ya tease!

Excellent!

Great job! It looks perfectly cooked. I can't wait to make one this weekend. Ralph's has them locally for $5.88 trimmed this week...:grin:

Nailed that one to the wall !!!!

Yeah, good idea to cut at the notch....then you can see right where to go..........

Tri-Tip?

My first post here. Great looking Tri-Tip. I've never cooked one. Where would one get a Tri-tip? I don't think I've ever seen one in my local grocery store. (Fort Worth Area)

Back