UDS Help for First Timer

sanch10

Reaction score
I am adopting a UDS (I believe it is built with the BPS kit) and I am looking for any assistance I can get on how best to use it. I have been using a Kamodo for a few years now and feel like I have it pretty dialed in.

I know the UDS is a different animal and there is so much information scattered through this forum it is hard to find a good clean path on the UDS best practices without querying 100's of posts (how to light it, best temps for a hot and fast cook, vent management, water pans (necessary?), controllers (does anyone use them?), cleaning between uses, using multiple racks (does that require a deflector?), etc.

If any of you can either just point me to links to some good threads here, or if you have any tips you could pass along it is greatly appreciated. I am primarily cooking brisket on the drum, so that would be the focus.

I have also been looking for any videos like this, but cannot really find any that are very good. If you know of any please post the links.

Thanks for the help!

Hopefully one day a UDS master.

SS

Thanks Smitty, that helps. At 275 on the Kamodo I am cooking a 15-17 pound brisket in about 7 hours, is that about the same on the drum?

I liked using Stubbs charcoal in my UDS. I would fill my charcoal basket with some wood chunks and charcoal. Then I would light a weber chimney about a 1/3 full. When the chimney was fully lite I would dump it on top of my charcoal basket. Put the lid on..Then after it got to the temp I wanted, I would let it burn for about 30 mins before adding any food.
Never really used a diffuser. Them drums make some fine chicken. As shown in N8's post above.

Without a water pan or diffuser the center can be 50° hotter than the edges with diffuser or water pan you can get it down to 25° hotter

I use a UDS I built and this is what I learned.
1. Charcoal, fill the basket mix in wood chunks, put it back in, and light a half or full chimney.. Wait until coals are white. While waiting, move to next step
2. Prep the grates, thermometers, and meat to get ready to out on. Use a diffuser, otherwise the center is hotter than the sides, and you will burn something. I use a pizza pan, with holes drilled in it, and place it on my third rack. You can also line the 3rd rack with foil and poke holes in it.
3. Coal are ready, throw them on top, of the unlit coals... Move fast and put in the 3rd rack, with diffuser. Also, put in second rack, middle, and set you therm in position.
4. Let come up to temp. 225-250 for me.
5. Put meat on the second rack.
6. Put in first rack. The put the rest of the meat on it. Set up therm if you want temps on this grate too.
7 close lid, figure out how it runs, and set it and forget it!!

It's all in the setup, get everything ready and set in first. Once the hot coals go in, you don't want to piddle around, get it all setup put the lid on, adjust vents and let it settle in.

Btw, I will use the pitmaster iq for overnight cooks.

You can use a diffuser or drip pan like your Kamado, your choice.
For temps 300* and under use 1/2- 3/4 full chimney to light then dump onto of fresh coals/wood
For 350* up, use a completely full chimney to light then dump on top of fresh coals/wood.
If you have plenty of time and will be cooking at upper 200*, you can light a small area of the full coal basket just like your Kamado. Like your Kamado, once going, put your grates and food in/on, set intake/intakes. Exhaust open full for all cooks. IMHO

Back