• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Outdoor Cooking Shelter .... iso ideas

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Looks like Sir Porkalot HQ is going to be relocating to a place with 4 seasons, one of them being winter..snow and all.

I’m going to build a shelter of some sort.
I’m not a master carpenter, but I can erect a pole type structure with a simple angled roof

Gravel base? Concrete pad?

I’d love to see what you’ve built, maybe I can get some good ideas.

Please share

This doesn't really fit your request because it's not covered. I setup a canopy when it rains. The picture was taken before my LSG shipped.

Where are you headed?

kUZE8r0l.jpg

I live in northwest Georgia where we mostly get four seasons, although spring and fall are typically short-lived. We might get a bit of snow and ice once in a while, but our primary weather-related concerns are rain. I also am not a carpenter.

I put this post up a while back:
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259095

This is a 16-foot x 8-foot, 12-foot-tall wood shelter. I never intended to make this a permanent structure, so I put the shelter on deck blocks. I used 5x5 posts to run as floor joists to raise the flooring that I covered with two layers of 3/4" plywood and painted with two coats of weather-resistant exterior paint mixed with playground sand (for traction). I left part of the flooring undone so I could back my trailer-mounted smoker into the shelter.

I didn't put a proper angled roof on it...instead I shortened one side of the shed by a few inches so rain would run off and covered with corrugated tin roofing.

Hope that helps.

I live in northwest Georgia where we mostly get four seasons, although spring and fall are typically short-lived. We might get a bit of snow and ice once in a while, but our primary weather-related concerns are rain. I also am not a carpenter.

I put this post up a while back:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259095

This is a 16-foot x 8-foot, 12-foot-tall wood shelter. I never intended to make this a permanent structure, so I put the shelter on deck blocks. I used 5x5 posts to run as floor joists to raise the flooring that I covered with two layers of 3/4" plywood and painted with two coats of weather-resistant exterior paint mixed with playground sand (for traction). I left part of the flooring undone so I could back my trailer-mounted smoker into the shelter.

I didn't put a proper angled roof on it...instead I shortened one side of the shed by a few inches so rain would run off and covered with corrugated tin roofing.

Hope that helps.

Perfect!

Anything you would have done differently if you were to do it again?

We have gravel in our cook area. I wish it was a more firm setting. I do like how a little grease or ash can blend in much easier, but I've had my feet slip a few times because the rocks move or I stepped on them funny.

My next bbq investment will likely be one of those galvanized car ports. I can lay the gravel and rent a tamper. I just don't know the size yet. It will be for my Shirley and a woodpile so I think 12'x15' should work. I'm actually obsessing over this.

John, where are you headed to?

I remember you brought this up as a possibility not too long ago, but it sounds like a firm reality.

You might find some cooking shelter ideas HERE.

18x26' carport with the west and south sides covered, concrete. love it, if I wanted I could easily tarp the side and other end and heat it. it can turn into a furnace in the summer if no wind so a good fan is needed. I have a drum fan of about 3', somewhere around $4000 total

Perfect!

Anything you would have done differently if you were to do it again?

Yes:
1) concrete slab with proper raised floor
2) hire somebody to make a custom a-frame roof. You will get lots of snow where you are headed, and I imagine snow will more easily slide off an angle than flat like mine.
3) have an electrician run power to the ShaQUE. Never underestimate the value of good lighting.
4) put on sliding doors or at least awnings to keep the rain from slashing in

I can still retrofit these items, but it would have been nice to do them first.

Good luck!

This is in the plans for me too. Something like 14x20. Put in some cement footings. Have it be a slanted roof, like a lean-to. Roll-down windbreaks or something. Electrical to run temp gizmos and have lighting out there.

Like so:
16x20-Lean-to-Pavilion-Plans.jpg

This is in the plans for me too. Something like 14x20. Put in some cement footings. Have it be a slanted roof, like a lean-to. Roll-down windbreaks or something. Electrical to run temp gizmos and have lighting out there.

Like so:
16x20-Lean-to-Pavilion-Plans.jpg

This is what I’m thinking, maybe just a tad bigger

cb09908466f39fee7a5e8a820f606641.png

Here's mine. I love my BBQ hut as it allows me to cook in all of the elements. I've got a 36" Blackstone griddle, Rec-Tec Bull pellet grill (RT300 shown in the picture), UDS and a Weber Performer under the roof. It is 14'x7'. It has a brick paver base.

Attachments

• 20180802_065614.jpg
    20180802_065614.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 304
Back