MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Mexican Mesquite charcoal...??

I went to party a while back , they were grilling (some of it indirect) with some Mexican mesquite. This stuff burned slow like over 6 hrs. also it did not leave a strong mesquite taste . They were just given it and did not know jack about it...Anybody ever deal with it ??

Old 04-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Hmm, all I can say is that the Lazzari lump mesq charcoal that I use is made in mexico... I kinda dobt that they haul trees from the US to mexico to charcoalize them and then haul them back...

The lump does burn for a decent amount of time, but usually the chunks are log sized pieces about 5-6" diameter and 7-12" long.

It's really dense stuff even in charcoal form. Even whacking it with a hammer doesn't always break it into pieces the first time.
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

I should not have used the word "charcoal " . It was large sized lump , looked like it still had some moisture in it..

Last edited by T-Man; 04-08-2010 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: gr
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have used some lump mesquite when I lived in TX. It was awesome for grilling, without the dark mesquite flavor. The one thing I recall though, was it popped and sparkled alot.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
JediDog
is one Smokin' Farker

Over here in Socal, they sell the best of the west brand and it's pretty decent. It does sparkle a whole bunch and it's perfect for grilling.
JediDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Being from south Texas I use actual mesquite splits and mesquite lump ALOT. It's great stuff and yes it does pop alot so I'd be careful on really hot dry summer days in grass. I buy it from mexican meat markets and its pretty consistant it burns clean and it's great for grilling. I haven't gotten a 6hr burn but minion I'm pretty sure you could. I use a Weber Kettle for most of my grilling. I should have posted pics of the marinated chicken legs I did tonight with mesquite lump from Culebra Meat Market.

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've been getting Best of the West Mesquite Lump Charcoal at Sam's. It has very large dense pieces that burn very slow, and put off a very mild pleasant taste to the food. When using it in my WSM, when I refuel I toss on about 3 big chunks (logs really) and get an 8 hour burn from those 3 chunks at about 250 degrees.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
spacingtool
Got Wood.

this is what I use . it crackles and pops a bit. I think it's the moisture in the lump charcoal
spacingtool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2010, 12:28 AM   #9
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have used Lazzari and like it.

Burn a lot of Mesquite logs in the fireplace and it naturally pops and sparks, need to keep any carpets away from the fireplace as it will send flying embers out a couple feet. .

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
dannypat21
is One Chatty Farker

Here in SoCal the mesquite lump from Mexico is what is most abundant. Does spark quite a bit and the pieces are very large, but leaves a nice flavor, not overpowering.
dannypat21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->