MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #61
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
Saying the rep cheated is like saying someone wore an apron, there is much more i'm sure to each of those stories.

I know the details of the apron, what is it the rep did exactly?
This is as much information as I have on the issue:

http://www.kcbs.us/news.php?id=513

http://www.kcbs.us/news.php?id=658

SOME ONE cheated, and the rep was helpd accountable for one year. SOME ONE wore an apron, and I was held accountable for three years. I don't disagree that there is more to both stories, but for a group who was so obsessed with the integrity and reputation of the brand, for a group who wants to be "The NFL of the BBQ World," does this further those goals?

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #62
wrenfro12
Full Fledged Farker

So are these the only two people that have been punished by KCBS? Why are we comparing only these two?

Wilbur's Been Smokin' Somethin'
Woodstock, GA

wilbursbbq.com
wrenfro12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #63
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Thank You. I'm not looking for dirt or rumors, just wanted to know the publicly available information on this issue.
I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down.

It seems that there are a bunch of Rep advisories, etc. but, I don't see any Cook advisories letting us know what/who to watch out for.....

www.TheSlabs.com
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #64
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

because one offense is deemed a lapse of judgement and someone harshly punished that had nothing to do with it

and the other offense completely comprimised the entire integrity of the scoring system and got a hand slap in comparision
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #65
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenfro12 View Post
So are these the only two people that have been punished by KCBS? Why are we comparing only these two?
Because the OP is the one serving the three year ban and he believes that his punishment is more severe for doing less.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #66
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

What a great thread to read right before heading out to my first comp.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #67
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP7794 View Post
These are just 2 scenarios out of the hundreds of competitions that happen a year. You'll have fun.

That being said, to the OP, they certainly are 2 very important scenarios that bring to light issues with how KCBS is run and how problems are currently dealt with. Hopefully going forward when conversations like these happen it can help turn the mirror on KCBS and tighten up how things are run and people/teams are treated fairly.

The apron was bad, but not 3yrs plus probation bad. It doesn't sound like it was planned. The information presented about the falsifying scorecards seems premeditated and premeditated cheating/falsifying is not acceptable. A 1yr sentence on that is a joke and looks very bad for KCBS and how they deal with issues.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #68
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
These are just 2 scenarios out of the hundreds of competitions that happen a year. You'll have fun.

That being said, to the OP, they certainly are 2 very important scenarios that bring to light issues with how KCBS is run and how problems are currently dealt with. Hopefully going forward when conversations like these happen it can help turn the mirror on KCBS and tighten up how things are run and people/teams are treated fairly.

The apron was bad, but not 3yrs plus probation bad. It doesn't sound like it was planned. The information presented about the falsifying scorecards seems premeditated and premeditated cheating/falsifying is not acceptable. A 1yr sentence on that is a joke and looks very bad for KCBS and how they deal with issues.
I dont know if I would call it premeditated, at least not days in advance, but it was messing with the integrity of the blind judging and the integrity of the reps.If there was not enough judges seated then the judges that were should have judged more not just fake card filled out for the entries that didnt have judges. In my opinion what happened to DMP was not right or fair, a 3 year ban, but what was done by Sonny Ashford was 10X worse, and more importantly I know for an absolute 100% fact that there was at least 1 team that will not do KCBS directly because of the North Platte issue. I wonder how many teams quit KCBS because of the apron incident??

I am not defending the apron issue, though I feel Daniel was punished to extremes, and I have no clue what happened at Myrtle Beach. But in my opinion the North Platte incident was much much worse and I personally am disgusted that the rep can be reinstated so soon.

Sorry about not naming names earlier, I was trying to have fun with it before I got all pi$$ed off about it again.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #69
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I know for an absolute 100% fact that there was at least 1 team that will not do KCBS directly because of the North Platte issue. I wonder how many teams quit KCBS because of the apron incident??
Well, KCBS will never, EVER, see any of my money after this. Not even for a Restaurant Depot day pass if I never decide to actually compete one day.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #70
Jason TQ

Quote:
I dont know if I would call it premeditated, at least not days in advance, but it was messing with the integrity of the blind judging and the integrity of the reps.If there was not enough judges seated then the judges that were should have judged more not just fake card filled out for the entries that didnt have judges. In my opinion what happened to DMP was not right or fair, a 3 year ban, but what was done by Sonny Ashford was 10X worse, and more importantly I know for an absolute 100% fact that there was at least 1 team that will not do KCBS directly because of the North Platte issue. I wonder how many teams quit KCBS because of the apron incident??

I am not defending the apron issue, though I feel Daniel was punished to extremes, and I have no clue what happened at Myrtle Beach. But in my opinion the North Platte incident was much much worse and I personally am disgusted that the rep can be reinstated so soon.

Sorry about not naming names earlier, I was trying to have fun with it before I got all pi$$ed off about it again.
Yeah, premeditated isn't exactly the right word from the standpoint that it wasn't planned a lot ahead of time. But sounds like when they realized there were short 2 judges the rep had a choice at that point. To fess up and say "oh crap we are short 2 judges" or think for a minute and decide/plan "falsifying these 2 scorecards is a much better option". Better to cheat/falsify than look foolish is the route that was taken.

Cheating/falsifying is so much the worse offender here.

Last edited by Jason TQ; 06-20-2013 at 12:29 PM..
Jason TQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #71
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
If you are really wondering Chris I wont drop names, but what I will say is maybe if you happen to look at KCBS events in Nebraska in 2012 and accidentally look at reps at say the North Platte contest, you might be on the right track.
The chitty thing about that whole situation for my team was that was when we got our first walk. After I found out the scoop, it really cheapened my teams thoughts about our walk.

Now, we don't even really know if we did or didn't. That sucks, especially for first timers that blow a bunch of money just to try it out.

I applaud the BOD members that voted no.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #72
hogzgonewild
Full Fledged Farker

I guess I'm playing devil's advocate here, but when I read the KCBS article presented, I don't feel that the word "cheated" is correct to use in regards to the Reps.

It seems that the Mistake the reps made was not verifying that there were enough judges at each table, and fixing that issue.

During the judging, it is my experience that the Reps are away from the cook tables. Is it possible that the Reps didn't realize the issue of being 2 judges short and didn't notice til time to tally up the scores?

If that is possible, then it seems the judges did the best thing they could at that point. They averaged the other 4 cards to create the additional two scores, which seems to be the rule for "missing score cards" per KCBS.

What I'm saying, is, from the first 4 pages of this thread, you would think the Reps falsified scores on purpose to help a team achieve a higher standing. From the KCBS meeting minutes, I don't see that as being the case in my eyes.

Think of it this way....if they were trying to help out a team, why would they average the scores instead of taking the highest....Averaging probably lead to some 8's instead of 9's.

Again, I may be playing devil's advocate, but I don't feel that anyone should be bashed when most of us only know the details listed in 4-5 lines on the KCBS website.

Now I will also comment on the Apron subject, since like it or not, if you bring up this thread as a "response" to your punishment, you've got to know its going to be talked about.....

As far as that situation, A person on the team made a deliberate choice to wear something inappropriate to awards. As the father of a small child, and knowing how many children were potentially in attendance, I have no remorse for any punishment of the individual, up to a permanent ban of KCBS events.

For DMPRANTZ, I agree that as the team captain, its your job to be aware of who is on your team and you are responsible for those people. I do hope that the event and KCBS includes something along those lines in their rules and Regulations, as it should be. I would not dare include anyone on my team who would perform such a morally offensive act, and have no problems with KCBS or events banning/punishing teams who do. I think 1-2 years would have been sufficient, but we elect the KCBS officials, and they took a vote on it, so it is what it is.
hogzgonewild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #73
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
What would have happened if this had been an Sam's Club event you think?
dmp
Well, based on my experience with a rules violation at a Sam's Club event nothing would have happened.

Jambo Backyard
Gateway Drum
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
Certified MOINK Ball Maker, 2008
KCBS Member and CBJ
8.5 X 28' ATC Trailer
Trucky1008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #74
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP7794 View Post
Dont worry... Go out and have fun, dont get drunk during your cook, follow your check list.

BBQ Comps are real fun and you will meet some very good people indeed!!!

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #75
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Respectfully....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzgonewild View Post
it seems the judges did the best thing they could at that point. They averaged the other 4 cards to create the additional two scores, which seems to be the rule for "missing score cards" per KCBS.
Either you or I is misreading what happened. The way I read it is the following statement:

"cards were falsified in the two categories."

The averaging procedure which you later describe is what I took to happen by the KCBS after the cheating had been detected, not the original actions. If some one knows more about this situation and would like to correct my enterpretation, please do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzgonewild View Post
Now I will also comment on the Apron subject, since like it or not, if you bring up this thread as a "response" to your punishment, you've got to know its going to be talked about.....

For DMPRANTZ, I agree that as the team captain, its your job to be aware of who is on your team and you are responsible for those people.
Once again, my issue here is that the punishment for wearing an adult themed apron is more severe than the punishment for submitting false scores (I'd call that cheating). Whatever you think the appropriate punishment should have been for me, if you think that having a lesser punishment for some one associated with cheating, well that's your opinion, but that's the topic at hand.

And, while I don't want to turn this into that long argument, I was not the "team captain," but was the "head cook," and again, that was because I filled out the applications. We were a team, not a military organization with ranks and hierarchy. What's more, despite all the yelling, the KCBS rules do not indicate that the head cook is responsible solely and punishable for the actions of all team members. That's a longer topic, but the implications that that is written are false.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote