MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #16
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

Appearance is all fine and good, but if the chix don't taste great, pretty is the least of your worries. Gimme some delicious smoky meat!
SaucyWench is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 08:53 PM   #17
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
Ganome, it seems from the pix that you need a little more heat. The chicken looks kinda light and it make the grate marks very noticable. a thinned out sauce could also help even out the color, just make sure you give it a bit of time to set in.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=82

I agree with the lightness in color, this is when I first tried to turn it in, 11:30 insted of 12:00. it went back on the smoker and did set up/darken a bit. I was a little ahead of my self, I was thinking of sausage turn in at NewHolland! after all was said and done I laughed even though walking up to the judges tent a half hour early and see any one else wasnt funny.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #18
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
I agree with the lightness in color, this is when I first tried to turn it in, 11:30 insted of 12:00. it went back on the smoker and did set up/darken a bit. I was a little ahead of my self, I was thinking of sausage turn in at NewHolland! after all was said and done I laughed even though walking up to the judges tent a half hour early and see any one else wasnt funny.
Hey, at least you were ahead of schedule the rest of the day, no?
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #19
ipls3355
is one Smokin' Farker

better 30 minutes early then 30 minutes late

Crankin out Q on my ECB since 2005
UDS born September, 2007
22" Weber Kettle
18" Weber Kettle
ipls3355 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 11:05 PM   #20
Michael in PA
Got Wood.

We've only been to one KCBS competition, but we took first in chicken. We don't grill and we don't sauce. We pull the chicken and immediately apply avery little thin, sweet glaze. The chicken is hot and the glaze is hot so it cooks on immediately. Best thing is the skin stays crispy and is a little sweet and shiny.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:10 PM   #21
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Three words...

Brine! Brine! Brine!

It gets flavor to the bone and greatly improves moisture retention, which means a lot more overcook insurance.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 11:40 PM   #22
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

No, no, no! Brine just makes the chickie taste salty. Smoke, real smoke, is what you need to be trying for!
SaucyWench is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2008, 08:13 AM   #23
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyWench View Post
No, no, no! Brine just makes the chickie taste salty. Smoke, real smoke, is what you need to be trying for!
Tell that to AB (Alton Brown)
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #24
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
Three words...

Brine! Brine! Brine!

It gets flavor to the bone and greatly improves moisture retention, which means a lot more overcook insurance.

John
testing the brining waters today,
thighs

1 quart water
1/4c salt (kosher)
1/4c brown sugar
1 tbs dehydrated chopped onion (I really dont know why)

gonna let the thighs in the brine about 4-5 hours and smoke to temp. I will sauce at the end with Stubbs original (I think).
Sal
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #25
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyWench View Post
Not if you use a salt/sugar ratio of 2/3 cup to 1 cup, and brine for 6 hours. It works like a champ for me. The two times I tries not brining my scores plummeted.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #26
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
Not if you use a salt/sugar ratio of 2/3 cup to 1 cup, and brine for 6 hours. It works like a champ for me. The two times I tries not brining my scores plummeted.

John
I'm assuming that's 2/3 cup salt to 1 cup of sugar. How much water?

Do you rinse the chicken after the brine, SaucyWench? I forgot to rinse once and the chicken was way too salty.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #27
MilitantSquatter

Sal - I'd be careful with the grate marks on the top using the exanded steel grates. When I used to have my Pitts & SPitts, it always made chicken look unappealing on the top side with the large diamonds embedded. If you want, try skin up first until the skin tightens up and gets some color on it.

Also, it seems that aside from the color of the sauce, there is very little traceability of the original rub. Either coating was light to begin with or it got wiped away when sauce was applied.

As far as brines, marinades or injections - I think all are good options and one method is probably not much better than the other as far as overall noticeability as it would affect scoring as long as the flavor was pleasing.

I'd dare a good percentage of people couldn't tell which method was used on smoked chicken after all the rub and sauce is applied.

Good Luck !!
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #28
VA BBQ PIRATES
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
testing the brining waters today,
thighs

1 quart water
1/4c salt (kosher)
1/4c brown sugar
1 tbs dehydrated chopped onion (I really dont know why)

gonna let the thighs in the brine about 4-5 hours and smoke to temp. I will sauce at the end with Stubbs original (I think).
Sal
Sal I brine with about that same ratio but only go about 2 hours. Let us know how it goes. (onion? I know why)
VA BBQ PIRATES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #29
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA BBQ PIRATES View Post
Sal I brine with about that same ratio but only go about 2 hours. Let us know how it goes. (onion? I know why)
Why?

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, The Grill Center, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty and Natures Own Charcoal
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #30
VA BBQ PIRATES
On the road to being a farker

Gnomes like Onion

And in addition to adding moisture you can add flavour with your brine. As the water is being forced into the chicken by osmosis it takes some of the flavor of the brine with it.

Tom
VA BBQ PIRATES is offline   Reply With Quote