MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
Cobra7
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Lump coal only?

If lump coal has all the bad stuff burnt out of it and its 100% wood, why not use only lump charcoal?
Cobra7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well, here is why i don't use it all the time. I do use it for some applications, but not for smoking.

Lump comes in bags that are half full of nice sized chunks, and the other half is either huge, or crumbs that fall through the grate. Add the fact that I'd have to pay more for it, and it does not appeal to my "poor" side.

For smoking, briquettes give me even, predictable heat. I add wood chunks for my smoke.

I love lump for grilling a steak. Great heat. I buy Kroger lump. It is cheap, and made by Royal Oak. Since 10-20 percent is going to be wasted, the price of Kroger lump works for me.

If I had money to burn (pun intended), I'd have a patio full of expensive cookers, and a garage full of expensive lump charcoal. But, I don't have money to burn, and quite frankly, I eat very well off my Webers and briquettes, that's what I use.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I use only lump. Never occurred to me that it is more costly than briquettes.

It's the cost of the meat that is my problem.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
Smokin'Butts
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I use only lump. Never occurred to me that it is more costly than briquettes.

It's the cost of the meat that is my problem.
+1 It never bothers me to buy bags of lump...it is the meat counter that makes me have a stroke every time! I also use lump only
Smokin'Butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Cobra7
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Well, here is why i don't use it all the time. I do use it for some applications, but not for smoking.

Lump comes in bags that are half full of nice sized chunks, and the other half is either huge, or crumbs that fall through the grate. Add the fact that I'd have to pay more for it, and it does not appeal to my "poor" side.

For smoking, briquettes give me even, predictable heat. I add wood chunks for my smoke.

I love lump for grilling a steak. Great heat. I buy Kroger lump. It is cheap, and made by Royal Oak. Since 10-20 percent is going to be wasted, the price of Kroger lump works for me.

If I had money to burn (pun intended), I'd have a patio full of expensive cookers, and a garage full of expensive lump charcoal. But, I don't have money to burn, and quite frankly, I eat very well off my Webers and briquettes, that's what I use.

CD
You make some good points. I am using Royal Oak as we speak to cook some chicken. This is my first time cooking with lump. That's when it hit me about asking the question.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
twofishy4u
Knows what a fatty is.

I love lump for smoking due to the low ash factor. Works great for steaks too. I pretty much use stubbs briquettes on the grill and lump with about 20% stubbs on the smoker (wsm). I will say we have a local place called Grove Charcoal that makes a superior lump IMO.
twofishy4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
Cobra7
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin'Butts View Post
+1 It never bothers me to buy bags of lump...it is the meat counter that makes me have a stroke every time! I also use lump only
Lump only, no wood?

Old 07-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra7 View Post
Lump only, no wood?
Lump only for pizza. Lump and corn cobs for chicken. Lump and unsoaked wood chunks for everything else.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra7 View Post
If lump coal has all the bad stuff burnt out of it and its 100% wood, why not use only lump charcoal?

More importantly,why use briquettes?Have you ever seen how they're made?Rotten mulch and coal.Yes coal,as in steam engine or smelting metal coal.Not for me.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

I can't tolerate the taste of charcoal briquettes. Yes, I can taste it when it is used for primary fuel, nasty.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

First, all lump is not created equal. That is to say...what exactly was it? We could turn this thread into a "What did you find in your lump that was not hardwood?" thread no problem. How many times have you found a piece of plywood or some random object in a bag of lump?

I burn lump. I burn Kingsford blue (to start a bed of coals, then on to sticks). I burn sticks...lots and lots of sticks.

Try a cook with just lump and then try one with wood mixed in your lump and see what you like. I'm betting that you'll pick the mix.

Having trouble finding good hardwood to fit in your cooker and that is why you are considering only lump? If there is a cabinet maker in your area, he's got tons of unfinished (and I stress unfinished, just the raw wood) hardwood scraps at his shop. Trade him a box of oak or alder scraps for a rack of ribs. He's just going to burn it anyway, you both win.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
Smokin'Butts
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brian

lump and apple wood
Smokin'Butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
andy53
Knows what a fatty is.

I burn a mix of lump, briquettes and hard wood. I'm not sure why I started doing this, but I like the results. Burns well with decent smoke.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #14
letdasmokeroll
Full Fledged Farker

im no expert but i use lumps to start a bed then its all sticks for me ....i will add lumps if and only if i kill the fire
letdasmokeroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by letdasmokeroll View Post
im no expert but i use lumps to start a bed then its all sticks for me ....i will add lumps if and only if i kill the fire

Same here! A chimney of lump to get it started and sticks only after. Unless it goes out and then more lump.
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->