How to Legally Sell BBQ From Home?

I guess I stand corrected, we must have had the inspections because we were a food vendor as well as a competitor. I just assumed everyone else had the inspections.

That makes WAY MORE sense and it's good that there are some solid checks and balances when selling food to the public.

I’ve competed in over 100 KCBS comps in 6 different states and have never had or seen one single health inspection or check of any sanitary conditions. Do judges assume that health and sanitation are being checked?

We have had HD inspection a couple of times, but it was only when the comp also had a people’s choice competition. Otherwise it is meat inspection, which sometimes includes an IR thermometer check of cooler temp, and once in a while includes a check to make sure that we have the required three-bin set up, but that is pretty rare.

If the lot your house is on is zoned for commercial, you could build a stand alone kitchen facility and get it inspected. You would have to establish a food chain of custody with meticulous records. I think in most states that would fly. Otherwise rent space in a commercial kitchen. It's not easy to sell food legally.

Back