1st Time Venison Hind Quarter

JohnH12

Full Fledged Farker
A friend gave me a venison hind quarter from a small doe he got earlier. He also gave me a hind quarter from a small feral pig. Both were vacuum sealed and in his freezer for about a month.
I've never done either on the Lang but want to try. I figure if I screw it up they'll be combined for chili.
I don't have room to brine them but the basic plan is to inject both generously with some Cajun Lemon-Butter-Garlic or similar and rub with oil and some basic SPOG.
I have two levels of racks in the Lang and it likes to run at 275 to 325 temp.
Top or bottom rack?
Water pans under the meat?
What IT for the meats?
Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. (I already have a bunch of chili in the freezer so I would like to enjoy the meat itself)
Thanks.

I can't offer any advice, but I would love to see pics of this cook when you get it rolling.

A friend gave me a venison hind quarter from a small doe he got earlier. He also gave me a hind quarter from a small feral pig. Both were vacuum sealed and in his freezer for about a month.
I've never done either on the Lang but want to try. I figure if I screw it up they'll be combined for chili.
I don't have room to brine them but the basic plan is to inject both generously with some Cajun Lemon-Butter-Garlic or similar and rub with oil and some basic SPOG.
I have two levels of racks in the Lang and it likes to run at 275 to 325 temp.
Top or bottom rack?
Water pans under the meat?
What IT for the meats?
Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. (I already have a bunch of chili in the freezer so I would like to enjoy the meat itself)
Thanks.
Go to the search bar at the bottom of the page
picture.php

and search for "Venison Hind Quarter", there are quite a few, check out Cowgirl's cooks.

As for the venison hind quarter - over thanksgiving I cured one and made some Venison Pastrami -

Cured for 6 days - then put a basic pastrami rub on the quarter

Smoked until it hit 150 - then wrapped in foil with a little beer - then back into the smoker until it was at 170

Smoker temp from 230-270 during the cook

I too have a few feral pig quarters in my deep freeze - I plan on soaking them overnight in buttermilk, then brining overnight in a cherry dr pepper brine, then rub them down and smoke them for pulled pork - hope to do them on 1/1/18

Good luck with you cook

I like about a half inch deer steak cooked on the grill with garlic salt and butter on it.You have to be careful not to over cook them.Just passed medium is about right for me.

I've done several ven hind quarters. I don't inject, but do rub with SPOG. Smoke at 225* till a IT of 130*

Venison is very lean, so if you overcook it, you will dry it out. So nothing over 145*.

Thanks to all who replied.
I'll cook it at about 275 ~ 325 on the top rack of the Lang with a drip/wine pan underneath.
Take the venison to 145 IT and the feral pig to at least 160 IT. I may take the pig to 190 which is what I cook butts to since I prefer sliced over pulled.
I'll try to post some pics but I'm terrible about that.

I rub the deer leg with a beef rub and wrap with bacon ,water pan and spritz with apple juice ,foil for the last 1/3 of the cook with some apple juice

Back