Being forced to try Sous Vide

Rockinar

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My old lady won this at a Christmas party. She didn't even know what it was. She doesn't cook anyways and gave it to me. I'm against the idea of pre boiling my meat, but I guess now I have to try it....

jp8suv.jpg

Just started playing with one myself. It's a great way to reheat BBQ, but other than that, I haven't been impressed.

I've got one and I use it mostly for reheating full briskets I need to cook ahead of events. After taking the briskets off the smoker, I let them rest on the counter until they cool down to around 145 or so and then put them a food saver bag and seal them up. They then go into an ice bath and then into the fridge until whatever event I'm cooking for. To reheat, I fill a cooler up with water and set the temp to around 165 with the sous vide. Once the water comes up to temp, I throw the briskets in there for around two hours and then take them out and slice them up. Every brisket I've reheated this way has turned out awesome.

All the steaks I've done with it usually turn out really good too.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I like it for tenderloins, but not ribeye. The short sear time doesn't get the fat on a ribeye the way I like it. It does make some good corn on the cob and I have made the cheesecake jars with it. Seems like people like using it for round roasts too.

Might be interesting to do a small brisket, vacuum seal or brine bag with a cooker and use it as a poor mans Alto Shaam?? Set it for 145 and go to bed for a few hours so I dont have to time brisket around eating and sleeping schedules as much. Can buy yourself 8 or 10 hours?

Last edited:
I love doing carrots Sous Vide at 193 for 2 hours. Taste Great!

Next best is a chuck rust at 135 for 3 days. As tender as filet mignon!

Might be interesting to do a small brisket, vacuum seal or brine bag with a cooker and use it as a poor mans Alto Shaam?? Set it for 145 and go to bed for a few hours so I dont have to time brisket around eating and sleeping schedules as much. Can buy yourself 8 or 10 hours?

I'd bet it would work great for that.

The BEST double thick pork chop I've ever eaten was cooked sous vide
and then grilled. This was at a great restaurant in Austin TX. I tasted it and then asked the server how they were able to cook it this way. He brought out the chef who
explained. Have a great time with it!

I've tried it out a few times with a crock pot and a temp controlled relay and it was pretty neat. Did some chicken and steak - no veggies- basically all short time stuff.

Was a cool experiment but I don't see me using it much. The idea of some cuts taking days of waiting just never clicked for me.

My old lady won this at a Christmas party. She didn't even know what it was. She doesn't cook anyways and gave it to me. I'm against the idea of pre boiling my meat, but I guess now I have to try it....

jp8suv.jpg

Season up some chicken breasts, bag 'em and cook at 140F for 2.5 hours. Pull them out and cool for a bit sear quickly. Best chicken ever.

Check out some you tube videos...plenty out there.

Lucky for you it only hits 99 deg C, it's impossible to boil your meat.
C stands for Celsius. That's the boiling temp at 1,000 ft elevation. Even in Michigan, you can exceed that.

Sams Club has been carrying these big 2-3 pound Bone-In Pork Chops lately. Hit it with SPOG, seal it in a bag, and cook Sous Vide at 139 for 2.5 hours. Pull it out of the bag and get your grill raging hot, or a white hot cast iron skillet on the stove and get a good crust on it. Best Pork Chop you will ever have.

Also nice for cooking short ribs or tough cuts that really break down over 48 hours or cooking. No need to watch, and no issue burning down the house. A steak cooked Sous Vide at 120 degrees will never climb over 120 degrees, so you can cook in advance, chill in an ice bath, and sear to reheat later if you are having a party and want to spend time with your guests instead of watching a grill. A 12 oz steak and a 16 oz steak will both cook in about the same time so it takes the guess work out of grilling.

Just started playing with one myself. It's a great way to reheat BBQ, but other than that, I haven't been impressed.

I bought that exact one, but just haven't found that it does anything better than my previous methods. Your idea to reheat is fabulous! I finally found a great use for it!

I normally vacuum seal and free leftovers. I can now set this to my desired reheat temp and walk away. Thanks for sharing!

Back