Duck?

Lummy

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I guess I don't have enough posts to use the search function yet? But looking for help on a cooking a duck for Christmas. I'll be using a Weber Kettle. My smoked Turkey turned out so well at Thanksgiving that I want to give a duck a try. My thought is to brine and smoke at 275-300. Not sure what temp is best to pull a duck? Any other tips or tricks? Any certain type of duck to look for? Thanks!

If you want to pull it, you will have to go to go to 165 to 170. That is the temp the USDA recommends. IMO duck should be medium rare, and cooked to 135 to 140.
My favorite duck is Muscovy. Something about a bird that tastes like beef. But I would just pick up a duck from the store probably peking, if you are going to pull it.

Just to clarify, I'm not planning on 'pulling' the duck, like pulled pork. Just wanted to know at what temp to take it off the kettle. Was confusing! But thanks for the reply.

Ok, it's early, what can I say. I would suggest cooking at a much higher temp then. 400 to 475 range. Duck is extremely fatty, and you want to render as much as you can. Poke holes all over the skin, to let the fat seep out, that way the skin gets crisp. As I stated earlier, I think duck is best med rare. 135 to 140. It will be pink, and that turns some people off. Know who you are cooking for. If people will not go for pink duck, I would go closer to 155 to 165, but IMO, it isn't as good.

I guess I don't have enough posts to use the search function yet?

From our FAQ...

My SEARCH doesn't work. Where is the SEARCH and NEW POST feature.
The standard search is at the bottom of the forum. Its uses the google search engine but only searches our forum and is available to everyone with or without a subscription. The expanded search is included with subscriptions and is on the blue menu bar. It allows extended searching with advanced options, boolean searching, search by date, members, etc. A subscription must be purchased to activate the advanced search feature but the bottom google search is available to all members

Thanks! After you posted this I remembered that's how this forum does it. Little slow on a Monday morning!

From our FAQ...

Looks like this.
picture.php

Make sure you use a drip pan, otherwise your kettle will be a mess.

I have done whole duck on my smoker with mixed results. I prefer to do duck breast hot and fast to medium rare and duck legs and thighs in the sous vide at 165 to 170 for at least 12 hours preferably 24 hours to mimic a confit or can go as low as 155 for 36 hours, followed by a quick sear in CI or over coals prior to serving.

Is this a wild duck, if so what kind? Same for a domestic duck. What breed?

Is this a wild duck, if so what kind? Same for a domestic duck. What breed?

Don't have the duck yet. Have a really nice butcher shop by the house that probably has some frozen ones. Going to check it out today. May run by Costco first although I've never noticed duck there before. Suppose I could shoot one when I get down to the MIL's.

Harry Soo did a couple of duck videos on YouTube. One is basic. I think that's the one you want. The other is for Peking Duck and very complicated.

I would post a link if I knew how.

Larry S

Copy the link address and paste into your post.

You might consider first separating the skin from the meat Chinese Style and blanching the Duck in boiling water. It gets the funk off the duck and tightens up the skin considerably so that you have crispy skin. We all like crispy skin! You need to go fairly hot on the Weber... say 350F at a minimum to get those results and pull at 145F IT maximum.

Don't forget that drip pan either or you'll have a flame up you'll never forget.

Cheers!

Thanks for the help everyone. Picked up a duck but decided to cook it next week on New Years day. With over half of the people I'm cooking for being kids I instead went with a really nice looking Prime, Prime rib roast. Costco gets me every time! I'll report back next week with the results of the duck.

I cooked a Peking duck this past weekend by hanging it in the WSM at 350 until the internal was around 165. I separated the skin from the meat and poked holes in it. The drip pan caught at least a cup of fat. Breast tasted great, legs underdone and skin not as crispy as I would like. I didn’t give the duck skin enough time to dry out before cooking I think. Maybe I should cook at a lower temp for a time then ramp it up to 350+. First duck, not bad. It can be improved.

Back