Prime Rib Rub Suggestions

TheBBQJew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking to the brethren for a prime rib rub recipe. Going to be lightly smoking the prime rib at 350 degrees with hickory. I’m looking for a fairly standard roast rub. Not looking for a rub with bbq notes... ie sugar. Thanks!

I would say something simple like Salt, Pepper, and a little garlic powder. Some people say equal parts S+P but I find that a little too peppery.

I just made the best prime rib of my life the other day. Been to lazy to put the pics up but they’re coming. I used a recipe from atbbq on YouTube and made a paste with rosemary, minced garlic, steak rub (I used Oakridge Santa Maria, and evoo. I just pulsed it all together and rubed it all over the prime rib the day before.

Last edited:
McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning is really nice because it has very large particulates that stand out and make your roast look as good as it tastes. Don't use that two year old jar hanging out in the back of the pantry, go buy a new one! I always add some fresh ground pepper as well.

A very light coat of canola oil, a healthy dose of salt, some pepper, garlic powder, and finely chopped fresh rosemary.

Looking to the brethren for a prime rib rub recipe. Going to be lightly smoking the prime rib at 350 degrees with hickory. I’m looking for a fairly standard roast rub. Not looking for a rub with bbq notes... ie sugar. Thanks!

One last comment and I'm done, and it's only because I love Prime Rib! Please don't cook it at 350 degrees. If it's a whole boneless prime rib in the 14 pound range, or a whole bone-in prime rib in the 18 pound range your carryover cooking will kill you at 350 degrees. I call it culinary inertia. Think of a 16 pound bowling ball, push it gently and it will come to a gentle stop. Throw it as hard as you can and it will travel a long way.

A roast cooked at 350 degrees to say 130 degrees internal will continue to cook another 10 to 12 degrees AFTER you pull it out of the smoker. A roast cooked at 200-225 degrees will continue to come up maybe 2 degrees AFTER you pull it. Cook it gently, and if you want more color throw it on a hot grill, or in a pre-heated 500 degree oven for five minutes. You don't want to spend $$$$$ and overcook your meat.

Montreal Steak Seasoning on my FEC-100

Cookshack Prime Rib by David Miller, on Flickr

I just made a the best prime rib of my life the other day. Been to lazy to put the pics up but they’re coming. I used a recipe from atbbq on YouTube and made a paste with rosemary, minced garlic, steak rub (I used Oakridge Santa Maria, and evoo. I just pulsed it all together and rubed it all over the prime rib the day before.

Chef Tom is awesome. All of his recipes I’ve tried have been great...I saw that one the other day and might do it for Christmas. Post up some pics!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

^^^ Yep, what Bacchus said. If you cook hot n fast you'll get grey edges. 225-235 perfectly pink all the way through. I've used Meathead's Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust the last few years with great results.

Traditional prime rib has an Herbs de Provence crust. I also add kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic. Butter will help it adhere, and really make the HDP pop since they're fat-soluble herbs. Plus, it browns nicely, aiding the crusting process.

Traditional prime rib has an Herbs de Provence crust. I also add kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic. Butter will help it adhere, and really make the HDP pop since they're fat-soluble herbs. Plus, it browns nicely, aiding the crusting process.

I typically use a steak-ish rub and then crust it with a compound butter using HDP as well during the sear phase of my cooking.

One last comment and I'm done, and it's only because I love Prime Rib! Please don't cook it at 350 degrees. If it's a whole boneless prime rib in the 14 pound range, or a whole bone-in prime rib in the 18 pound range your carryover cooking will kill you at 350 degrees. I call it culinary inertia. Think of a 16 pound bowling ball, push it gently and it will come to a gentle stop. Throw it as hard as you can and it will travel a long way.

A roast cooked at 350 degrees to say 130 degrees internal will continue to cook another 10 to 12 degrees AFTER you pull it out of the smoker. A roast cooked at 200-225 degrees will continue to come up maybe 2 degrees AFTER you pull it. Cook it gently, and if you want more color throw it on a hot grill, or in a pre-heated 500 degree oven for five minutes. You don't want to spend $$$$$ and overcook your meat.

Kind of yes and no. It can be cooked just fine at 350, you just have to be aware of how much it will carry over and adjust accordingly. I.e. pull it 10-15 degrees earlier than you would if done at 225-250ish.
It really comes down to whether a person wants and consistent, edge to edge color (low chamber temp),

PrimeRib-600x399.jpg

or more of a "bullseye" effect where you end up with an outer band that's well done, then some mid well, then medium, yada, yada, yada. The higher the chamber temp, the larger the degree of variation.

PrimeRib.jpg

Which of those is better comes down to personal preference.

My go to seasoning for Prime Rib has always been Worcestershire, followed by Montreal Steak. Indirect at around 250 until internal temp is 127 or so. Has never failed me.

The first time I made Prime Rib I followed Dr BBQ's YouTube video, I still refer to it just to ensure I haven't missed anything. Ray does add seasoned salt to his, I omit it.

This is one of those cooks where I stick with what works and don't experiment. It's too expensive a cut of meat to screw up trying new things.

-lunchman

Back