MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

Default NY strip roast on Christmas

As I posted in an earlier post I have a new Big Green Egg and I thank all the people who responded and helped out. I am planning on doing a NY strip roast on Christmas. I am planning on cooking with a temp between 225-250 and pulling with an IT of 135. I plan on doing some wings and maybe a fatty next weekend and so I will not have enough cooks on it so a reverse sear is not an option as I will have to keep it under 350. I have done roasts like these in an electric smoker using only a few apple chips so I do have a couple questions I was hoping someone might be able to help with.

Should the place setter go feet up or should I not use one at all?

Should I add any wood chunks or will cooking over the lump add enough smoke flavor already? This is a very good piece of meat so I don't want a lot of smoke flavor.

Is there any other suggestions that anybody might have for me?

Old 12-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #2
Smoking Piney
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Reverse sear the strip - plate setter legs up (cover it with foil for easy cleanup), 250 to an IT around 115. Pull, cover and rest it it for about 15 minutes while you get the Egg set up for direct heat:

Pull the plate setter - WARNING: have some welding gloves handy to grab the plate setter and a landing zone VERY close. Even with welding gloves, the plate setter will be extremely danger hot...work fast.

Get the Egg set to around 500 for direct cooking.

Sear the roast over the hot coals for about a minute and change a side to done.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-14-2018, 02:46 PM   #3
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Piney View Post
Reverse sear the strip - plate setter legs up (cover it with foil for easy cleanup), 250 to an IT around 115. Pull, cover and rest it it for about 15 minutes while you get the Egg set up for direct heat:

Pull the plate setter - WARNING: have some welding gloves handy to grab the plate setter and a landing zone VERY close. Even with welding gloves, the plate setter will be extremely danger hot...work fast.

Get the Egg set to around 500 for direct cooking.

Sear the roast over the hot coals for about a minute and change a side to done.

It is new and I doubt that I will have enough cooks to run it at over 350 as suggested by BGE.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
Smoking Piney

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider22 View Post
It is new and I doubt that I will have enough cooks to run it at over 350 as suggested by BGE.
Long time BGE owner here........I did the same thing with the 350 limitation. Honestly, I doubt a short cook at 500 will come even near to damaging your gasket. 500 is mid range for a BGE...should be no problem.

Just cook on it and go for it.

You will be replacing the gasket at some point - they don't last forever. The stock BGE gasket is a joke. There are aftermarket gaskets out there for them much more substantial than the original - and they're easy to replace.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS

Last edited by Smoking Piney; 12-14-2018 at 03:01 PM..

Old 12-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #5
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with Smoking Piney. A compromise would be to bring it to 120, then grill direct over 350. That should allow you to get the color you want and bring up to 130ish.
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #6
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

As said above Cook at 225-250 Pull @ 115-120 Cover with foil Get the Egg ready for Direct You may be able to use silicon gloves/mitis to remove the place setter Open all vents top and bottom to get the temp up After 15-20 min sear the roast If you have grill grates that will give you a better sear as it will raise the cooking temp by 150-200* and will help to prevent flare ups Make sure you burp the Egg when at high temps. If not you will have a big flare up Burping allows some oxygen to get in and will save the hair on your arm and face Slice and enjoy the roast You already rested it while waiting for the Egg to come up to Temp You do not need to do it again Let us know how it turns out
I only did 2 cook before a high heat cook My Egg did fine I still have the original gasket. It is not in very good shape but the Egg still cooks fine and holds the temp that I want
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #7
tcaton
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : terry

My suggestion: consider cutting that roast up into some really thick steaks. When I've roasted a rib or loin roast, I've usually been a little disappointed: most of the flavor potential of these cuts comes from the browned crust. Instead of a seasoned crust across the entire surface of the steak, when you roast whole you get a little on the edges but the interiors are basically steamed and underseasoned. Sure, a whole roasted loin has great presentation value, but that comes at a cost.
tcaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #8
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcaton View Post
My suggestion: consider cutting that roast up into some really thick steaks. When I've roasted a rib or loin roast, I've usually been a little disappointed: most of the flavor potential of these cuts comes from the browned crust. Instead of a seasoned crust across the entire surface of the steak, when you roast whole you get a little on the edges but the interiors are basically steamed and underseasoned. Sure, a whole roasted loin has great presentation value, but that comes at a cost.

I have thought about doing it that way. It is a good idea and I love strip steaks but I have done a few of these in an electric smoker and they have come out excellent so I am hoping I get better results with the BGE as long as it is not too smokey.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #9
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I know that I am in the minority, but I have stopped searing rib roasts or strip roasts. I just cook at 225-ish until 130-ish internal and still get a nice crust.

Just an option in case you are concerned about the gasket.

Also, how about the Chargriller or even the gasser? You could use one of those for the sear.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I know that I am in the minority, but I have stopped searing rib roasts or strip roasts. I just cook at 225-ish until 130-ish internal and still get a nice crust.

Just an option in case you are concerned about the gasket.

Also, how about the Chargriller or even the gasser? You could use one of those for the sear.

That is not a bad idea. I might crank up the gasser or load up the charbroiler for a sear. One problem I have is that even though I love a seared steak or roast I am cooking for at least 4 other people that I am not sure if they will like it that way.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #11
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Then it may be better to cut it to individual steaks
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #12
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcaton View Post
I do prefer the crust of a steak to a roast in general there are some advantages to cooking a whole roast. the extra time it takes to cook can make it extra tender. that time gives fat a chance to render into goodness.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #13
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

Agree with the above comments that by the time your roast reaches the ideal IT the developed crust is more than satisfactory, no need IMO to add another step.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018, 07:17 PM   #14
Smoking Piney

Spider,

I think I was a little harsh in my reply about the gasket. Your new gasket will survive the time it takes to sear the roast with no troubles.

My original gasket lasted almost 4 years before it required replacement. In that time, I have had the BGE close to 700 degrees to cook pizzas on numerous occasions. The OEM gasket never separated from the Egg or burned up. It just got really flat from LOTS of use and failed to seal. I replaced the gasket with a High Que nomex gasket and it rocks.

Don't be afraid to use your BGE to its full capabilities. It's what you bought it for.

PM me if you have any BGE questions.

https://www.high-que.com/

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS