MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
GrillBillie_D
Full Fledged Farker

Default My first judging experience

I made it thru my first KCBS judging event.

First, let me say that I can cook way better than any of the entries I tasted! Just kidding!! I'm sure there are some cooks who judge who say that but not me. I got to taste some really good food.

Thanks to many of you for the advice going in to the tent. Several tips suggested helped make it go smooth. I got to talk to many judges...shared my first judging experience with another well known cook who is also making the journey inside the tent to see things from the other side. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot.

Here are a few things I took away from the experience (and/or observations):
  • As a cook, you should wait 15 minutes after turn in time to taste your own food. There's no doubt that as the food sits, things change (taste, texture, moisture, etc.)
  • The judges I saw in the tent at this event was a mix of comp cooks and backyard cooks who haven't competed
  • They ran out of comment cards - I plan to make a suggestion to KCBS/Reps to ensure it doesn't happen.
  • I saw a few judges who tried to use comment cards often (including myself) but most didn't fill out any
  • When I judged for appearance, the garnish wasn't all that noticeable and didn't affect my scoring in any way. I didn't see anybody really pay much attention to garnish - they were interested in the meat (I don't have to spend 20 minutes on each box trying to get it "perfect" )
  • Scores for Nor Cal judges were pretty low compared to other areas - 26 point difference between 1st and 3rd (it wasn't because of the quality of food)
  • A lot of entries seemed to be dry in all 4 categories - I attributed this to the food sitting - I didn't score down unless it was super dry.
  • I don't like the DQ rule for "foreign objects" - saw it happen at another table - 5 of the 6 judges didn't notice a thing but the last judge saw a tiny object (i think it was foil - and when the other judges looked again, they had to look really closely to even see it) Reps took picture and had to DQ entry. If 5 of the 6 didn't even notice it (including MCBJ's), it's not like someone was trying to "mark" a box. I understand the the rule but think a more common sense approach would be better suited. When you know what goes into a competition as a cook, it's horrible to think a tiny piece of foil (that 5 of 6 judges didn't even notice) can ruin an entire entry and the contest - that's just my $.02
  • Had two entries of cupcake chicken (the round kind) hit our table - one was boneless and one had a bone. I don't think some of the other judges liked it. I gave it good appearance scores because it was arranged neatly and looked inviting.
  • Pork entries had the most variety of presentation and flavor profiles. I liked some better than others but overall most were really good. Texture was all over the place from very chewy to mushy, sometimes on the same entry.

It was a good experience and would encourage anybody who cooks at a comp to see what it's all about on the inside of the tent.
GrillBillie_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
5string
is one Smokin' Farker

Glad your first experience was positive. Sorry we didn't meet up, I looked for your name badge. I was the guy from NC sitting next to Harry Soo. Also his first judging gig. This was my first comp in California. It was interesting to see the differences in how events are run here vs east coast, as well as flavors used. Talked with many fellow judges and got lots of insight on how it's done here and what is the norm. Not better or worse, just different.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
peterz
On the road to being a farker

That's awesome Dennis. Congrats on your first judging. You will see some good bad
and sometimes even kinda weird stuff turned in as you judge more comps. For the
most part some really GREAT BBQ =)
Great job on your first and thank you for sharing.

Peter KCBS CBJ

Old 05-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillBillie_D View Post
  • I don't like the DQ rule for "foreign objects" - saw it happen at another table - 5 of the 6 judges didn't notice a thing but the last judge saw a tiny object (i think it was foil - and when the other judges looked again, they had to look really closely to even see it) Reps took picture and had to DQ entry. If 5 of the 6 didn't even notice it (including MCBJ's), it's not like someone was trying to "mark" a box. I understand the the rule but think a more common sense approach would be better suited. When you know what goes into a competition as a cook, it's horrible to think a tiny piece of foil (that 5 of 6 judges didn't even notice) can ruin an entire entry and the contest - that's just my $.02
I'm sorry that you don't like the DQ rule for "foreign objects", but it isn't our job as a judge to "like or dislike" the rules, only to enforce them. If you feel strong enough about this rule, then you should get on the schedule to speak directly to the KCBS BOD at their next meeting.
Part of cooking in a comp is "attention to detail". Overlooking a piece of foil in a turn-in box is lacking attention to detail.

Other than this one issue, I truly believe that you "get it" as far as judging goes. I applaud you for approaching your first contest to judge in the manner you have - seeking guidance in advance and providing a brief "after action report" following the comp! I sure wish other new CBJs would be as conscientious as you!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
scruffee81
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

as a newbie here, this was an interesting read. ive been smoking for a while and have never entered a competition, when I read your opinion on the "foreign objects" rule, I saw your side using the "common sense" as we all know what happens behind the scene's, however, bbq.tom, made a good point, a judge is there to enforce the rules,...it is nice to know that judges do have a heart though...it was cool to see you wanted to let the guy slide, but rightfully, the judges made the right call. great job!
scruffee81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->