• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

"First World" Grilling Problems?

BuffettFan

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok, so it's daylight saving time which means it gets dark right about noon or something crazy like that.
I haven't reset the timers for the lights in the cookshack area.
I had to feel around in the dark through 4 different cookers before I found my vortex for the Peri Peri chicken tonight.
I'm sure I'm not alone in dealing with such struggles in trying to provide for the family.:razz:
Let's here how tough you all have it!:thumb:

I'm sure we can come up with some entertainment here!
That's the thought I have in mind.
Hope we can have some fun.

Well it actually happened the Sunday afternoon of the time change after the Wife went to church meeting and all. She was supposed to have the yard mowed that day. Now I'm not going to put headlights on the push mower but as far as BBQ, I've got floodlights on the grills and pits!

Here it's gotten chilly (below 50 in this part of the world) so I've had to get the wife used to bringing me Bourbon instead of the ice fold beer she usually brings me while I'm slaving away watching the smoker do it's thing.

Weather here in Melbourne has been cr@p (relatively) even though we're getting sundown after 8pm now. No point going out to Q when it's still raining and cold. I'm so desperate to have a good evening of it. Just not happening and it's nearly farkin Christmas. The rest of the country on farkin FIRE and we get THIS sh!t!!! :drama:

In my part of the globe you can be in a tornado -freeze-sunburn and get frostbite in the same 24 hour time period. Sometimes ya just gotta hit that Bangkok Tokyo for Pad C U or Kee Mao? You know, the one with jalapeño

Golf shorts 24/7/365 and a selection of fleece pullovers

Stay hydrated
Water-Dark Beer & Whiskey
Brown recluse-Black Widows and rattlesnakes keep me from rummaging around in the dark

In my part of the globe you can be in a tornado -freeze-sunburn and get frostbite in the same 24 hour time period.
Brown recluse-Black Widows and rattlesnakes keep me from rummaging around in the dark

Sounds a lot like Illinois except for the black widows and rattlesnakes!
We went from 90*F temps in the first part of October to 30* and 4" of snow on Halloween.

Golf shorts 24/7/365 and a selection of fleece pullovers

Yup. Cargo shorts all year round for me. :thumb: If it gets in the 50s, then it's pullover/light jacket time. In the 40s or below, I'll add a wool hat to that equation and maybe step it up to the Carhartt jacket if things are below freezing. But shorts 24/7/365 for sure. I've always been that way since I was a kid. As long as I have a jacket on and my head/feet are warm, I'm fine with shorts in even the coldest weather.

My cooking area isn’t covered and I have a car & two motorcycles taking up all the space in my garage, so I have to keep covers on most of my smokers and grills for the three or so times it rains here every “winter”. Plus I’m going to have to get up before 9AM Saturday to smoke a rib roast and it will be over 80* here. Boo hoo.

Last weekend almost brought the world to an end. While getting ready to provide for my family's food needs for the LSU-Bama game, the unimaginable happened.

I turned on the valve of the 20lb. propane bottle, grabbed the self-ignition button on the 3000 degree weed burner, and nothing. Nothing. Igniter had failed. What was I to do now, as my timing was now compromised. How was I to get splits burning?

With meats prepped, and guests arriving later, my back was against the wall. I had earlier confirmed that the television signals for the game were properly being bounced off satellites, received by my 4K tv, and that the audio signal was proper on the 7.2 surround. But a cold smoker was now my nemesis.

Finally, while dispensing ice from the ice maker, it dawned on me that to resolve this catastrophe, I was going to have to go to an old school solution.

So I used an electric match, to light the weed burner, to light the smoker, to cook the meat.
Whew, problem solved. Old school "electric match" saved the day.

Geaux Tigers.

Edit: Using my laptop, I researched a replacement ignitor, ordered it online, paid with a card, and got an email confirming delivery will be Tuesday. What has the world come to? Crap, no 2nd day delivery? Unacceptable.

Last edited:
AT&T U-verse got into a p1ssing contest with the NFL and I have been without the Redzone channel all season because I have been too busy/lazy to switch to Xfinity. Redzone and smoking/grilling on the patio has been a Sunday staple for years. Now I have to watch network programming like poor people

Me to Mrs Fan: Are you watching Hoarders Again?!?

Mrs Fan: How many smokers do you have?

Me: 3, why?

Her: How many Webers do you have?

Me, thinking she's gonna want me to cook a bunch of something: 4, why.... HEY!

Back