MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:57 PM   #16
OlyQ
Full Fledged Farker

Turkey breast sous vide at 130 for 24 hours then rethearmed on the kamado at 325* is how I roll
*Da-Fridge-Smoker
*BlackStone Pizza Oven
OlyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-13-2019, 05:20 AM   #17
HDOFDC
Got Wood.

I cook for 10 people at Thanksgiving. I throw 2 Butterball boneless turkey breast on the drum at 350 degrees and smoke with cherry chunks. No bones to contend with and like filet mignon no waste. I usually cut the netting off the breasts and wrap them in bacon to hold them together. My family really likes the Cajun version Wallyworld sells.
HDOFDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2019, 05:36 AM   #18
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

I'm a fan of the bone-in breast- I have not done a whole turkey in some years now.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #19
blackdogbbq21
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Paul

Turkey breast is served at a lot of the bbq joints in central texas and is really good. I've smoked them at home with good result also. I'd cook them more but they are hard to find 11 months of the year or crazy expensive when I can find them.
blackdogbbq21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2019, 05:37 AM   #20
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Whole turkey is pretty cheap. Cut it up, do the bone-in breast by itself for dinner. At the same time, do a fast smoke on the legs, thighs and wings, vac seal and use them for some good turkey/sausage gumbo later.

Thanksgiving dishes are ok- once a year. But gumbo? Ooooohweeee!

Old 11-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #21
Pife
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Earl

I've had really good success with whole boneless netted breasts. Brine/rub..smoke for a while, then pan/wrap with some broth. Slice and serve.

I like it better than a whole turkey.

For whatever reason, just the opposite for chicken. I love a whole smoked chicken.
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #22
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #23
Pife
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Earl

Yeah, man. Just like that.
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2019, 06:27 PM   #24
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Going to try turkey on the smoker for the 1st time. I'm assuming it's pretty much like smoking chicken, 325-250. What's the consensus favorite seasonings around here? Yardbird rub?

Old 11-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #25
Eckie
Full Fledged Farker

I've never tried my hand at smoking turkey, but was thinking about trying a breast this year on the performer. (The FIL usually does fried turkey, so that should still be available in case my first try turns out where only I will eat it haha.) The statements on cutting up a whole bird and cooking breast and thighs/legs separately to have some dark meat has me rethinking just the breast... For those of you who do this, should i put all the meat on the kettle at the same time, or would i have to stagger start times?

I was thinking either burn down oak to coals and feed that, or kinsford blue minion with maybe a cherry hunk or two. I have oak, cherry, hickory and pecan but know poultry doesnt need much. I feel that i have limited real estate in there, do i need to do any type of heat deflector? I was thinking brine (if i can get my act together), but most stuff around here has probably been enhanced...
Eckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #26
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ROBERT

I've been playing around with smoked whole turkeys, spatchocked and just breasts over the last few years. I can never get whole turkey to turn out exactly the way I want it. Spatchocked works much better but I'm always left with 95% of the dark meat as no one but me eats it.

The last few times I've done only the breasts and it allows me to make them to perfection. I start with a whole butterball (or whomever) turkey and cut off the the rib cage leaving just breasts attached. I brine for 8 hrs in a holiday herb brine, pull out, rinse, dry, and place back in fridge for a couple hrs uncovered to dry out skin. Place a bunch of herbed butter under the skin and set breasts in an elevated roasting pan with a few apple slices/onion and some stock in the bottom to add moisture. Smoke/roast with lump charcoal and a few pieces of your fav mild wood. Cook at 325 to get crisply skin. I baste with pan juices until skin gets enough color then tent with tinfoil. Pull at 160, loosely cover and rest for as long as it takes to make the gravy with the juices in bottom of the pan.

Enjoy!

I know this is wasting all the dark meat from the turkey but it's much cheaper to buy whole turkey than just breasts. Plus I do use the giblets and some of the dark to make a stock to add to the gravy.