Drum smoker

jhuyser

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looking to add to my collection.. Thinking about a drum smoker. Anyone have a recommended brand? Can you fit much meat on one, looks like most have 1 rack? Alos how do they work for long cooks 12-13 hours?? If you add more charcoal do you have to take the meat out to get to the basket ??

Take a look at Hunsaker, Gateway, Double-O and a couple of others. I chose Hunsaker because I like the bottom intake and the vortex basket, but all are solid cookers.

The Hunsake drums will actually hold 5 grates if you want to. I have used two on occasion, but mostly use mine for competitions and just use 1. I can fit one big or two smaller briskets, or two to three butts one a rack, and can hang a lot of ribs, and then stack and rotate when wrapped.

I chose Hunsaker as well. Stainless parts, easy to use, lid hinge, and I like the big back wheels. They offer a stainless drum for a little extra coin. They also just started selling drums with 1200 degree flat black paint. They recently had to add a flat rate shipping fee, but to offset that they are including a rib hanger with all orders. I haven't had to use it, but their customer service seems top notch as the owner is very accessible.

I just picked up a Hunsaker , mainly for the reasons listed above. I’m only 3 cooks in but it holds temp well and gets about 10 hrs on a basket of lump

take a look at the Oklahoma joe bronco drum smoker. they have the option where you can cook on 2 grates at the same time , a lot of capacity if you choose to hang your protein , great for long cooks ( 12 or 13 hours ) . and the best thing going for them right now is you can probably pick one up for a $100 or a little more . now if you don't like drum cooking your not out much ( gateway or Hunsaker north of $800 ) and if you do like drum cooking and want to go to a Hunsaker or gateway your still not out much, you can always gift it to someone or sell it and probably make all of your money back . I am gonna guess you will love drum cooking and keep the bronco and cook on it often ...

take a look at the Oklahoma joe bronco drum smoker. they have the option where you can cook on 2 grates at the same time , a lot of capacity if you choose to hang your protein , great for long cooks ( 12 or 13 hours ) . and the best thing going for them right now is you can probably pick one up for a $100 or a little more . now if you don't like drum cooking your not out much ( gateway or Hunsaker north of $800 ) and if you do like drum cooking and want to go to a Hunsaker or gateway your still not out much, you can always gift it to someone or sell it and probably make all of your money back . I am gonna guess you will love drum cooking and keep the bronco and cook on it often ...

This isn't bad advice at all. I bought the Barrel House Cooker for $45 and that is what turned me on to drums. Only took a few months of using the BHC before I decided to upgrade to the Hunsaker.

There are a few brands to choose. PBC is a 30 gallon (18inch) not adjustable vents so you cook at whatever temp it is, Gateway has a 30 and a 55gallon (22inch), Hunsaker has a 55 gallon with wheels, and there are a few more including a square one with wheels. All sorts of accessories with the Gateway and Hunsaker. Look at them and figure on what you like best.

Looking to add to my collection.. Thinking about a drum smoker. Anyone have a recommended brand? Can you fit much meat on one, looks like most have 1 rack? Alos how do they work for long cooks 12-13 hours?? If you add more charcoal do you have to take the meat out to get to the basket ??

Have you thought of building one? They're pretty darned easy to put together..

https://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/05/my-uds-so-far.html

Big Poppa also has drum kits..

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/big-poppa-drum-starter-kit

My drums will go for at least 16 hours on one full coal basket. No addition of hot coals needed. A lot depends on the outside air temp.
Sometimes I use 2 cooking racks, and I have an addition for a rotisserie. Dome lids also add more space.

Good luck with what ever you get!

So next question what is the best meat prob temp system to buy to us on the put cooker?? im guessing you run the cord down they the smoke stake on the hunsaker model?

So next question what is the best meat prob temp system to buy to us on the put cooker?? im guessing you run the cord down they the smoke stake on the hunsaker model?

I do the same on my Hunsaker. I have used the Thermoworks Smoke for about 5 years. I also have and sue the thermoworks dot and thermapen. I've had a temp probe go bad on me a few years ago so I ordered extra temp and food probes to keep on hand. Food probe finally quit after 5 years...Not bad. Pulled the brand new out of the pack and it failed after 1/2 cook. Contacted thermoworks and since it was bought over 6 months ago, I'm SOL. Still think thermoworks is pretty good, but Maverick is another good one. They warranty their probes for a year I believe. Those would be my 2 choices.

One more chime for the Hunsaker; what I like is how portable it is... very very easy to roll around on the wheels (I have to go up a down steps to my backyard, and it makes all the difference); and the service from Hunsaker is top notch. If you want to see some really great higher end drums, check out Cotton Gin smokers; hand made though a bit pricy.

I built my own and have less than $75 in it. I've cooked up to 6 large pork butts at once using 2 grates. Could probably fit 8 is needed. I have never had to add additional charcoal. In a recent charity cook-off, I received 1st place in wings and 2nd place in ribs using my UDS while competing against 16 teams and half of them had brick and mortar restaurants or established catering businesses.

I built one years ago and love it! I used an Old smokey lid to get some more height. I have gone over 12 hours without refuel, If I need more I finish in the oven. I holds temps with the best of them. You can go hot and fast or low and slow. I controlled the intake with magnets or balled up foil. It can become mobile with a drum dolly. Cheap and easy, turns out great BBQ. I could run up to three racks in mine if I wanted. Cost was less than 100 bucks to build.

Attachments

• 20150214_150342.jpg
    20150214_150342.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 110
There is a guy over in Brethren Sales and Ventures named JHorizon from Omaha that makes pretty nice looking drums for $375. Check it out.

If you don’t build your own, I vote for bronco as well. I like it so much I bought a 2nd one for cottage. My poor highland hasn’t been used since and now trying to sell it.
That’s how much I like the bronco. I also added a 2nd grate. The added grate provides plenty capacity for me.
With the soft/flexible seal on the lid, the probe wires don’t get pinched. I use both Inkbird 6X and 6XS. Also have a smoke, but it is limited with only 2 probes, it also works well, but haven’t used it since acquiring my Inkbirds because of multiple probes.

The nice thing about these drums, is playing with hot and fast; I did St Luis ribs in 2 hours start to finish last weekend that were the best ive cooked; at 350 even which shocked the hell out of me; one of the big bbq guys on YouTube has a step by step video up on it.

Back