MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #1
Hinds15
On the road to being a farker

Default Weber kettle 26 extension

Any weber kettle 26 owners out there cut a 85 gallon drum for a extension like the 22 kettle and 55 gallon drum? The outside diameter for the kettle bowl is 27" and the outside of the salvage 85 gallon drum is 27" ( not sure if the measurement for the drum is at the crown of the ribs or smooth portion). I know with the 22 kettle and the 55 gal if you cut around the rib area it fits on to the kettle bowl nicely.

If any of you 85 gallon uds users can help with measurement that would be great also.
Hinds15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
Bubblehead
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinds15 View Post
Any weber kettle 26 owners out there cut a 85 gallon drum for a extension like the 22 kettle and 55 gallon drum? The outside diameter for the kettle bowl is 27" and the outside of the salvage 85 gallon drum is 27" ( not sure if the measurement for the drum is at the crown of the ribs or smooth portion). I know with the 22 kettle and the 55 gal if you cut around the rib area it fits on to the kettle bowl nicely.

If any of you 85 gallon uds users can help with measurement that would be great also.

I have a Weber 26" lid on my 85-gallon drum. No modifications were necessary. I purchased the drum new from Grainger.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
Hinds15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
I have a Weber 26" lid on my 85-gallon drum. No modifications were necessary. I purchased the drum new from Grainger.
Can you get a measurement of one of the ribs heck if you can get a exact measurement of the smooth side portion. If it's right at 27 inches I know the rib is bigger so it will fit over the kettle bowl. Picture of what I want to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191106_184752.jpg (31.7 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg 20191106_184455.jpg (26.4 KB, 326 views)

Old 11-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

I love stuff like this.

Keep an eye on the weight if you do this. With my first 26, I experimented with stuff like this I think I tweaked the front leg socket. The leg itself was fine but I think the combination of the weight and the heat (and probably moving it) tweaked it just enough that the kettle permanently leaned back slightly. I'm not exactly sure when it happened or if that was even the reason but just throwing that out there as something to keep an eye on. I never had this issue with the 22...just the 26.

Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe.
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-07-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
Hinds15

Yep I've seen a few picture and post with the 26er having the weird lean. I know some are wondering why would i cut up a perfectly good drum. Reason is no one makes a extension for the 26. Smoke ez hasn't found a new home for production, I think cajun bandit use to make them but not anymore, and the company spitfiregrilling that can make them is in canada so shipping is outrageous. As long as it'll fit a cut down 85 gallon drum is the only and cheapest option.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:15 PM   #6
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

I’d like to find a source for an inexpensive second grate too.

Please consider a subscription!

Brisket is sacred, don't **** with brisket!

On a foggy day with stick burners in front of businesses and at houses burping Mesquite, Pecan, and Oak- the thin blue laying hazily near the ground- outstanding. - 16Adams
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
Bubblehead
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
Same.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
Hinds15

I'm thinking it will work. They have a few 85 gallon drums at my work that are unlined and haven't been used but the outsides are a bit worn. Just have to convince them to let me get one. Don't really want to cut up a brand new one or pay the 233$ but if it comes to it I will. For those with the weber lid on the 85 is the top or bottom of the drum?

Old 11-14-2019, 10:50 PM   #9
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Wait. Did Bubblehead just quote himself and say ‘same’ as if someone else said it and he was agreeing??

01BD2DD0-FD5E-4884-ABAD-C61879EE74F1.jpg

Please consider a subscription!

Brisket is sacred, don't **** with brisket!

On a foggy day with stick burners in front of businesses and at houses burping Mesquite, Pecan, and Oak- the thin blue laying hazily near the ground- outstanding. - 16Adams
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote