Playing With Dough

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Over the course of two days (Sat and Sun) I did two types of dough. First was fermented caputo 00 blue bag pizzeria dough 70% hydration that took about 20 hours. Dough came out really good but I learned that this recipe was much better done at home since it was colder at the cabin so the hydration was a bit much. Also at 6000ft elevation it took a while to warm up the oven. What usually took 15-20 mins at home I waited over an hour until it was at 800* ish for me to cook the pizza

9srZUsuh.jpg

I did an al pastor style pizza

4nyZg1Ph.jpg

K6cQHVLh.jpg

Pretty darn good but the cold + the elevation didn't let me reach my intended product

lbTHyWzh.jpg

2jTrScQh.jpg

As I got ready to launch my second pesto, grilled chicken pie below, it went down hill and a failed lunch due the dough sticking to the peel farked everything up :tsk: I tried to recover but made an even more of a mess, with cheese, dough and ingredients all inside the Roccbox. :shock: So I took out what ever I could and let it burn everything to a crisp, shut 'er down and called it a night. At least I had one pie in so it wasn't too bad.

oV2U3IZh.jpg

Sunday morning I cleaned the Roccbox, blew out all the residue, char and ash and got her set up for another go :becky:

aUqtxfXh.jpg

I made a new batch of dough with caputo self-rise flour this time. I froze the dough balls from the night before for another time.

MJukcksh.jpg

Al pastor style pizza again

6FzrpFzh.jpg

DV1AhEeh.jpg

2nGLJfrh.jpg

Better results but my dough from the night before was far more superior

qVBWTTfh.jpg

JjMhlwXh.jpg

Next I did the pesto grilled chicken pizza again

pSye5Qhh.jpg

1d2EVJUh.jpg

No accidents this time around and pretty happy with the results. Damn, if you think brisket is hard playing with dough will give a run for you money. Only thing to do is keep trying. :becky: Thanks for looking and many more cooks on the way to get it where I want it. I left the Roccbox at the cabin so it'll my toy up there since I have the Blackstone at home.

Very nice Sako! I’ve only used caputo once. It’s a long way for me to go get a bag. I think it was red though.
Do you think it is worth it?

Very nice Sako! I’ve only used caputo once. It’s a long way for me to go get a bag. I think it was red though.
Do you think it is worth it?

Thanks Mike!

IMHO it's totally worth it when you do Neapolitan style pies which I really personally enjoy a lot. It the only dough that will handle 800-900 degree heat and not burn. In turn you can crank out soft, fluffy and chewy dough pizzas in less than 2 mins. It's got high protein and gluten levels which are perfect for airy crust pies with a lot of depth in flavor.

If you have access to local Italian delis or markets they usually carry them in 1kg bags for about $5 each. Or you can order online and the last bag I bought was from ATBBQ.COM They're prices are fair IMHO when it comes to Caputo flour especially the blue pizzeria bag.

Nice recovery and persistence. 70% hydration is no joke.

Regarding the Caputo Pizzeria, you can make a decent Neapolitan pizza with most organic, unmalted AP flours. They key is unmalted. Two fairly common brands are Bobs Red Mill Organic AP, and Arrowhead Mills Organic AP. I'm sure there are others that work as well, depending on what's available in each person's area. Caputo is good, and I always have a supply on hand, as I prefer Neapolitan pizzas, but I'm also a fan of experimentation and finding things local to me that work in a pinch too.

Love this. I haven't made homemade pizza dough in too long now.

Al Pastor pie is the bees' knees! Hell, you could threaten me with that grill chicken pesto, as well!

Nice recovery and persistence. 70% hydration is no joke.

Regarding the Caputo Pizzeria, you can make a decent Neapolitan pizza with most organic, unmalted AP flours. They key is unmalted. Two fairly common brands are Bobs Red Mill Organic AP, and Arrowhead Mills Organic AP. I'm sure there are others that work as well, depending on what's available in each person's area. Caputo is good, and I always have a supply on hand, as I prefer Neapolitan pizzas, but I'm also a fan of experimentation and finding things local to me that work in a pinch too.

Nicely put and thanks for the input. I too love to experiment and never settle on one way of doing things. One of my favorite flour brands is King Arthur. Their offerings are excellent as well. And true caputo is nice to have as you know what to expect but there are definitely alternatives to play with.

Love this. I haven't made homemade pizza dough in too long now.

Al Pastor pie is the bees' knees! Hell, you could threaten me with that grill chicken pesto, as well!

Thanks Marc!

Being familiar with your work and pallette you will enjoy al pastor pizza. Tremendously!

Care to share your Caputo 00 blue bag dough recipe?

Do you have an oven capable of 800-900 degrees? If not, you are better served with AP flour. Caputo Pizzeria is not meant for home oven cooks. You'd be spending more money. And ending with an inferior pizza.

If you do have a high temp oven, what size pizzas are you looking to cook?
At what temp will you ferment your dough, and for what amount of time?

Looks great neighbor. The elevation thing makes a difference. We went from ~50 feet to almost 4000 feet. it's like cooking on another planet.

Looks great neighbor. The elevation thing makes a difference. We went from ~50 feet to almost 4000 feet. it's like cooking on another planet.

Thanks neighbor!

Yup! Not kidding. When q-ing, I usually open all vents full and pack an excess amount of charcoal as the cookers eat through charcoal and they run cooler than usual up there. I've learned to give myself extra time also as it takes longer to finish than at home. Pizza was no different. Upside is you go through more beer. :becky:

I have the kettle pizza attachment with the SS top, I have been using it for several years now. It takes about an hour to get it to temperature, but I can get over over 800 with an infrared thermometer, you just have to keep feeding it lots of wood. I usually make dough balls in the range of 250-275 grams, shooting for 12" pies. Previous hydration recipes were around 62%, the 70% used in this video may be to challenging for me. I need to work more on forming the cornicione & learn to not try to overload the pie with to many ingredients.

I have the kettle pizza attachment with the SS top, I have been using it for several years now. It takes about an hour to get it to temperature, but I can get over over 800 with an infrared thermometer, you just have to keep feeding it lots of wood. I usually make dough balls in the range of 250-275 grams, shooting for 12" pies. Previous hydration recipes were around 62%, the 70% used in this video may be to challenging for me. I need to work more on forming the cornicione & learn to not try to overload the pie with to many ingredients.

I started my pizza hobby with the Kettle Pizza. It was a fun tool. Sounds like you know what you're doing. I go 260g for my 12" Neo pies, 62-64% H2O. And like you, I used to load up all my pies like a Midwest bar supreme. Still takes some self control to remember, "simple is often better", with Neapolitan.

Back