De-hairing small pig: questions about options

Coldholler

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi brethren - I am de-hairing a little pig later this week - it's about 55 pounds so I have some options.

I can lower is one half at a time into scalding 140 degree water, and pour it over parts I can't get into the pot. Then scrape. I've never done that though. How long would it take? Does it come easy off of the ears and face?

I have a big propane leaf burner (300,000 BTUs). I could burn it off and am not afraid of the smell, but two things - one, I'm going to cook "racer style" - will it discolor or damage the presentation? Two, I learned here a long time ago that meat absorbs smoke best between 40 and 140 degrees or so, that's when the smoke ring occurs. Even if I'm careful not to overly cook the skin with the burner, will that effect smoke absorption? Seems like it could.

Third, I don't have a 22 or small caliber option on hand right now. Will a 12g slug completely destroy the head if I shoot down, between the eyes before we hoist and bleed it? Unrelated question but timely.

I've smoked many whole hogs big and small, but I've only ever killed and prepped one long-haired one that I just skinned and butterflied, and I don't want to do that this time.

Thank you!

Scraping a pig that size should go pretty quick, once scalded at the right temp the hair slips easily, it's easier to scrape with a hog scraper, that bell shaped thingee, but a dull knife would work. Work fast while the hair is loose.
Scald and scrape half at a time, if the hair starts to set, dip it again.
You can go over it with the burner to get anything left after scraping.

A 12 gauge is overkill, but if it's all you got....
You could always stun with a hammer first before the bleeding, but that's a skill you don't want to practice the first time.

Hi brethren - I am de-hairing a little pig later this week - it's about 55 pounds so I have some options.

Third, I don't have a 22 or small caliber option on hand right now. Will a 12g slug completely destroy the head if I shoot down, between the eyes before we hoist and bleed it? Unrelated question but timely.

Thank you!

Holy cow! I'd be asking around for gun toting types. 22LR are easy to come by.

Or perhaps ask a general contractor for one of those doofloppies that shoots a nail through a 2x4.

Jeanie will be along soon. Better ideas than mine will fix you right up!

Sure wish I was smokin a pig this weekend though! Have fun!

12ga would destroy the head. If dont have 22 do you have a 9mm? Also can use pneumatic bolt gun or bang stick. If good with compound bow can do that up close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only relating this back to my childhood. No recent knowledge, but it was a regular thing on the farm to build a fire under a split 44gal drum, boil water and then use a block and tackle to lower the pig into the boiling water. I'm talking 1970's.

Your pig is a little one and boiling water seems to me the best option. It will give you a cleaner finish. Any other hairs that remain you then burn off.

I've no idea on the guns. We're not allowed to have them anymore. Except... no. Don't use a shotgun.

Cheers!

Bill

Only relating this back to my childhood. No recent knowledge, but it was a regular thing on the farm to build a fire under a split 44gal drum, boil water and then use a block and tackle to lower the pig into the boiling water. I'm talking 1970's.

Your pig is a little one and boiling water seems to me the best option. It will give you a cleaner finish. Any other hairs that remain you then burn off.

I've no idea on the guns. We're not allowed to have them anymore. Except... no. Don't use a shotgun.

Cheers!

Bill

Not allowed to have guns!!!! Why that's just un-American!!!!
Oh, never mind.
Ed

We butchered a couple of hogs in the Summer of 2020. But we used a 9 mm to dispatch them. Right between the eyes.

I wouldn't want to use a hammer. That sounds . . . messy.

Messy is a slightly misplaced shot, pig running around yelling bloody murder...

Every method has drawbacks, Heck, old school guys would just grab them by the back legs and someone else sticks the pig...None of this is pretty .

The shotgun will work, won't be as bad as you'd imagine, Ideally something else would be better.

^^^^ Good idea to have a Bowie knife handy. Once my Uncle missed the shot with his rifle because the pig banged his head on a steel fence just at the wrong time. Pig mortally wounded, squealing blue bloody murder and thrashing around too much for a second shot. Had to cut it's throat. Very messy. At 8 years old standing 3 feet away I never forgot that.

^^^^ Good idea to have a Bowie knife handy. Once my Uncle missed the shot with his rifle because the pig banged his head on a steel fence just at the wrong time. Pig mortally wounded, squealing blue bloody murder and thrashing around too much for a second shot. Had to cut it's throat. Very messy. At 8 years old standing 3 feet away I never forgot that.

We did that too. More for draining the blood. Time is of the essence! :shocked:

Scalding temps are between 140-155 F., depending on the pig it takes 3-6 minutes to loosen the hair, too hot will start cooking the skin and set the hair.

Back