What was the worst thing you ever bbq'ed?

TxQGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Let's face it, y'all. Not every single experiment can be a success, and not everything always goes according to plan. I thought it might be fun to share tales of things you've smoked/grilled that turned out horribly. So, pull up a seat, crack open a cold beer, and maybe keep a trash can nearby in case you need to dispose of some disastrous food. Here are some that come to mind for me:

1) The Pledge Pork Loin: Many years ago, I got a killer recipe/technique from a friend's father (who has since passed on...thank you for the tips, sir) for a smoked, andouille-stuffed pork loin. It works deliciously, and is still a staple of mine. For reference, it is quite simple...cut a slit in a pork loin lengthwise, stuff with an andouille link, apply some rub, and then smoke nekkid until done. You should try it sometime. However, there was one time I tried to shake things up a bit and do things differently with this beloved recipe. I decided to, after an hour or so smoked nekkid, foil the loin with some lemon slices and a little italian dressing. I'm not sure what exactly happened, but the finished product had the texture of mushy sand, and tasted like lemon Pledge cleaner. Thank goodness that I had also made ribs and chicken for those in attendance that day.

2) First and last attempt at Jerk Chicken: I had a hankering to try making real, authentic jerk chicken. So I got ahold of a recipe and made it, including Scotch Bonnet peppers. Not sure where I went wrong or what happened, but as soon as I put the first piece of chicken on the grill, it created what felt like pepper spray. I coughed, gagged, went temporarily blind, and leaked out snot while attempting not to choke to death. I'm not sure how that chicken actually tasted, it theoretically may have been delicious, but by the time I got back outside from washing my eyes out in the sink, it had burned to charcoal.

3) Zombie Chicken: I bought a standard issue whole chicken from Walmart Neighborhood Market. Yes, I remember where I bought it from all these years later because I vowed never to purchase meat there again after this... Anyhow, all seemed normal as I prepped it and put it on the grill to make beer can chicken (I had not yet learned the futility of this method). When it was done to temp, I let it rest, and then carved into this otherwise normal looking bird...only to find that the meat inside was literally black. :shock: I swear to you guys, it didn't look or smell even remotely off when I bought it. I have no idea what happened, but needless to say it went right into the trash.

What are your disastrous stories?

Hmmm I can honestly say everything I have grilled, smoked has been at worst decent and more than edible even what I considered a failure others were perfectly happy with it. I have definitely had some failures in the kitchen though.

I've had a few disasters over the years but I guess the most memorable was when I really started getting interested in grilling and smoking meat.
Circa 2008. I got a Weber grill and would do chicken thighs, 2 zone. I let the coals get ashed over but I would pile on wood chips throughout the cook. The backyard looked like a coal fired power plant. The family never seemed to like the chicken as much as I did. I thought they were crazy. Hindsight, after more experience I wouldn't eat that chicken either. I think they didn't want to hurt my feelings. :mrgreen:

The first time I smoked ribs on the Pit Barrel Jr. I used the all purpose rub in the box, in normal amounts that I always do. I didn't dry brine the ribs, but the rub was way too salty for my taste.

I do still use the rub pack, I just use it sparingly when I would normally salt the ribs, then add my own salt free rub on top.

Last edited:
My first several Tri Tips made fantastic chili

Brisket, I can't cook one for the life of me, I have given up.

pork roast put it on the grill for slow cook we got drinking and 8 hours later well you know the rest it looked like lump charcol

I did a hot and fast turkey that I just couldn't keep the temps up. Had to finish in the oven....couldn't server some of it.

The first time I tried to make pulled pork. It was before I found this great site and I was having a hard time wrapping my head around cooking something beyond 200 degrees. If I remember correctly it stalled for a while so I just figured it was done. It was so tough I couldn't pull it. I think I ended up chopping it. Think the taste was ok but it tough as nails.

My lighter was definitely the worst think I've tried to cook. I set my stick lighter in the slow and sear after lighting the chimney and promptly forgot about it. Dumped the charcoal in later and couldn't figure out why the charcoal had such weird flames shooting out of one area and such a nasty smell. Posted about it here actually, complaining about how my lump charcoal must have had plastic in it.

Even though it wasn't till later that I realized what happened I decided I couldn't cook over it. The next day when it dawned on my I was happy I'd made that decision.

I've also forgotten food multiple times -- the worst being a chicken breast that cooked all night and ended up as charcoal all the way through, drooping down between the grates down to the flame tamers.

In terms of food I actually ate, the worst was probably the first whole chicken I cooked on the Kamado Joe. Didn't let the charcoal settle in before putting it on and with poultry taking on smoke so well it tasted like an ash tray

My first cook on the BGE or with charcoal. I filled it up with lump, lit, threw the burgers on. When I plated them my wife took a bite, looks straight and me and said "what is the return policy on that thing"...

Thanks,
Greg

First pork butt on a new gas grill. Do you know what happens when lava rocks soak up enough pork grease. Actually the inside part was still pretty good.

At one of our big events we had 4 smokers going, the main meats most years are butts and legs of lamp, every few years we'll cook 3 or 4 briskets as well.... but one year one of the cooks showed up with some marinated rabbits and two beef hearts. All of us are hunters (as are many of the guests) and we had plenty of room for the rabbits and hearts, but we didn't pay attention as close as we should have, the flavor and texture of the rabbits were all over the place, and the hearts were mush.

I cooked three whole chickens on the WSM with no water pan (i.e., direct over the fire). When the chickens were done, I put on a fatty. Who knew a fatty could taste like pure chicken grease?

Way back when...............

I was smoking a whole fresh ham on a WSM.....long smoke.

A buddy of mine came over for a few beers and I told him I needed to add more coals. He said he was on it and I let him go.

He put his own Match Light coals on figuring it would speed the process, and after over 10 hours of cooking clean, the Match Light made the ham inedible.

I was less than amused, and we ordered pizza that night.

My first brisket. 1 hour per pound was my mantra back then. No deviation. Tasted okay, but was like eating the inside of a golf ball. That's when I coined the term "diet brisket". That is, you burn more calories chewing it than you take in by swallowing it!

Pizza the first one I tried the dough was raw in some spots and black and others it was just a mess

Big fat chicken breasts. Had some family over years ago. Had just bought my first ever Weber kettle. Was super excited and ran to the store to pick up some protein to cook. Big fat/plump chicken breasts were on sale. What the heck, easy cook for my maiden voyage. Had no idea what internal temp to cook them to...

Let’s just say that they were extremely dry and flavorless. Probably some of the worst chicken I have ever eatin’...

Also learned that some of my family members are big fat liars. “Mmmmmm, this chicken is amazing!” LIES!!!! lol [emoji13]

Not so much me, but my older brother was going to treat us to BBQ chicken and put the chicken on already sauced. Being black he decided it must be done but inside not so much.
Ed

Back