I smoked a brisket on an offset for the first time. How did this happen?

harrybbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
First a little background:

I own a Big Green Egg XL. I have cooked maybe 10 Costco primes in it, and another 15 Snake River Farms Wagyu black grade. The costco primes were always just OK, but the SRF wagyu were always amazing. I have gotten the SRF 18 lbs down to a science, where I can nail down the end of the cook to the half hour, and the result is always consistent and amazing. I am enlisted to cook for work bbqs every 3 months, and get the most flattering compliments ("best brisket ever", "holy $#%t this is good", etc). People tell me they look forward to these for months.

So, I just got a 20" Horizon Classic. I bought a sad looking last pick 12 lbs prime Costco packer, the thinnest flat I've seen. So sad. But since this was just a trial run to learn the new equipment, and my "guest" was only my wife, I figured it would be OK to mess this up.

So, I wake up at 4am to start the cook in order to eat early evening, late afternoon. It was a lot of fun to be outside tending to the fire. I appreciate the "Set and forget" of the egg for weekdays and overnights, but the offset is just so much more fun. I was struggling to keep the grate temp steady at 250, which wasn't happening. It was hovering between 225 and 275 as measured by the InkBird probes, BUT the dome temp was steady at 225 .

I made sure to feed small enough pieces of wood so that I could have a full raging small fire (dampers fully open) in order to "control" the temp solely by how much wood I put it. Smoke was always blue or completely transparent.

I wrapped it 2/3s into the stall, and cooked for another 2 hours. I pulled it when it probed tender in the flat.

When I took it to the kitchen I was already making excuses as to why it was going to be bad. But then I made the first cut at the tip of the flat. HOLY S%$#. I was so confused. It was amazing.
I then proceeded to cut in between the flat and the point, and then just the point. I looked at my wife and told here this was the best I've made among all, even SRF. She said "Really?!" and then proceeded to get some slices. Slices were buttery, juicy, and as tender as they can be without falling apart. The smoke flavor was much cleaner and more subtle than the Egg. Wife does not like smoke from the Egg...

As we sat down and ate, we couldn't stop wondering how the heck this happened. First time cook on new equipment, inferior piece compared to the stuff I usually use (SRF sagyu), and bad temperature control on my part. How did this happened? Was it a fluke? Can I ever reproduce this? Will a wagyu SRF be out of this world then?

The sad part is that now I'm not as excited smoking with the Green Egg given the results of the offset.

A couple of observations:
On the Egg I cook fat side down, and on the offset I did fat side up. When wrapped, the fat accumulated in the bottom, and on the Egg scenario, the meat is on top. Could it be the case that the fat side up on the offset, when wrapped, made it so the meat side down would be soaked in the accumulated melted fat, contributing to the amazing fluke result?

I'm trying to understand why this was so good so I can make this again. Me so confused.

Last edited:
That's interesting. Maybe the convection action that offsets tend to generate helped with that as well? Not sure, but I do know that I really like brisket off of offset and I thought the last one I cooked was getting messed up because temps were all over and it came out amazing as well.

Your temps are fine. Offsets swing 50 degrees and that's normal. Fat side up wrapped is what I do. Never hurts to cook the flat in its own juices. Just have to set the bark first.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No mystery to me, you changed cookers.
I'd bet that by the time you have an equal number as you have run through the Egg, you will have it down.
Keep on chooglin!

And remember.... Ice cold beer is for minor burns. Keep one in reach at all times.

My "guess".
With the offset you had at least 4 or 5 times the air flow compared to the Kamado.
Completely different flavor profile.

Offsets = airflow = convection smoke voodoo magic compared to more static cookers... especially for brisket. My opinion is the cooker way effect more than fat up down etc... this has been my experience having cooked on all types of things all different ways.

Briskets love them some offsets.

Great post and I concur... I have a Horizon, Primo (ceramic), and about 5 other grills. I write down notes for all my cooks, and brisket ALWAYS comes out best on the Horizon (offset). It takes more time involved, but, man... If you know how to run a clean and hot fire, you can put out some amazing bbq.

One "hint" on the offset/Horizon... Put an aluminum pan/cookie sheet at the bottom to catch drippings. Part of the great flavor is keeping that chamber tidy. You don't want a lot of gunk on the bottom. Some will say it's flavor, but trust me.. Don't keep it clean and you won't cook a brisket as good as you did on that one! Keep it cleaned and seasoned!

The first brisket I cooked on my Shirley came out amazing, it was probably the best I'd ever cooked up to that point. It was so good I almost woke my wife up to try it :becky: I didn't really do much differently than I had on previous briskets, just a little something special I'd always been longing for that took burning splits to achieve :thumb:

I am not at all surprised by your outcome

Honeymoon phase.

It will wear off, then you will buy another smoker to get it back, and eventually you'll be like all the others who have 18 cookers and are saving up for number 19

:D

I made a switch a few years ago from a BGE to a stick burner. What a difference between the two. The egg is a near perfect grill for me. Except for when it comes to smoking. You can still make some fantastic Q off it but sticks had always intrigued me. I think it was my 2nd cook off the stick burner when I knew what I've been missing the 1st 8 years with the BGE. That smoke profile can't be replicated with a kamado. The stick burner makes you work for it though. It's a ton more work that a set it and forget it type grill. I find it enjoyable though. You'll find yourself thinking twice about firing up the BGE for Q. Even though it's much more work.

Yup I know the feeling. I did a brisket on my ok joe and used a charcoal basket with wood chips. It came out good I thought. Then I get my LSG and cook my first brisket on it with straight wood. Night and day!!!! The wood fired brisket tasted so much better cleaner tasting. I would blame the different tastes on wood vs charcoal.

Agree with all the above. Once you try sticks only, the flavor profile of charcoal isn't as appealing IMO.

Agree with all the above. Once you try sticks only, the flavor profile of charcoal isn't as appealing IMO.

speak for yourself on that one :)

I tried stick burners twice - each time no improvement in flavor so I got rid of them.

Maybe Im just that good with a UDS

I have an offset and a 22"weber. When I smoke something on the Weber, the Mrs. complains that the meat is too smoky, but when it is done on the offset using 100% wood, she loves it....me too!!

Well that's just swell. NOW I want to go out and buy an offset. Thanks. Thanks a lot. :mrgreen:

Edit: Ooooh... I can get one at Bass Pro Shops near me. Now all I need is a good divorce lawyer... :icon_cool

Last edited:
Well that's just swell. NOW I want to go out and buy an offset. Thanks. Thanks a lot. :mrgreen:

Edit: Ooooh... I can get one at Bass Pro Shops near me. Now all I need is a good divorce lawyer... :icon_cool

Yep, that's what I did. Went the Bass Pro route because they actually stock the 16 and 20" classic, so delivery took only 2 weeks instead of 2 to 3 months. If you want anything bigger, you'd have to wait for it to be built by Horizon.

It took me about a year to clear with the wife. My break was that we are hosting Thanksgiving this year, and we needed something to smoke the Turkey... :D

Great strategy! I will file away for future tactical skirmishes.

speak for yourself on that one :)

I tried stick burners twice - each time no improvement in flavor so I got rid of them.

Maybe Im just that good with a UDS

IMO = in my opinion.

No, you're not just that good with a UDS. You just have your own opinion. :thumb:

Back