Help!Indoor fireplace with outdoor grill (pic)

NFLNative

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I bought this house and it has a fireplace that’s been converted to gas logs, and a built in in grill on the outside of the chimney. It is vented pretty well except for when the weather is bad. If the air is heavy smoke doesn’t reach the top of the chimney and will fall back down into the inside of the fireplace and into the house. Any ideas on how to better vent the grill so the smoke is sure to get out?

Attachments

• E0EA77A7-B540-40C9-9048-63C8C6785403.jpg
    E0EA77A7-B540-40C9-9048-63C8C6785403.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 064D2A91-23A5-45D9-B42A-55C1DE6CAEB3.jpg
    064D2A91-23A5-45D9-B42A-55C1DE6CAEB3.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 109
My Dad had an indoor charcoal grill in his billiard room. He always thought it was crazy to go outdoors to cook and inside to “piss”. Put a fan inside the chimney, that would suck the Crome off a bumper hitch. No idea where he got it, but it worked great. Had a bar, sink kegerator. Thanks for bringing that memory back. Special cooker. Hope you enjoy.

Is the flue is clear all the way up, including the roof cap?
Does the damper control both interior and exterior fireboxes?

My guess is too small a fire in the exterior grill area to get the chimney (flue) heated sufficiently to draw properly. Or another way to look at it, is that the main chimney flue was originally sized for a larger traditional, full multiple (3-??) split fire, for warmth and entertainment for the interior.

A small cooking fire may not be generating enough heat have the exhaust gasses not be cooled prior to exiting. If not enough heat to push upward, "heavy" air and wind can exert a resistance, dropping smoke, and presenting it into your interior space.

I would try a larger exterior fire, at least as an experiment. Or look into a smaller insulated flue, dropped inside the original chimney, that could retain enough heat to keep the gasses rising through the roof cap. Assuming that the interior fireplace will retain the gas logs, and not be returned to a wood burning status.
A mason should be able to isolate the two fireboxes, and install a properly sized drop-in insulated flue that would serve only the exterior.

May be as simple as a birds nest, especially if the interior fireplace was not used with wood for a number of years. And the exterior floor firebricks appear to not have had much use as well.

Cool set-up. Hope you can get it functioning the way you would like.

Last edited:
Back