• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How do you make new grates?

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with my 270 grates. I was thinking of using expanded metal for grates. So is it hard to do?
I was thinking it might improve airflow.
I am thinking of upgrading a few things on it.
So what is involved? What tools do I need?
Thanks.

Depends on far you want to go.
Do you want round bar grates?
Do you just want expanded metal?
Or both.
I have both. Different grates for different cooks.
Do you do alot of jerky? If your spacing on the round bar is to far apart, you can run into trouble. Loading and keeping the jerky on the grates.
It is all cut and weld. But you can buy cheap $10 grates for a 22" weber. Cut those and match em up to fit your grate frame. Depending on what sizes you need.

What kind of welder should I buy? I probably wont do anything major. Could I get away with a cheaper harbor freight one? Thanks.

One of those 125 amp flux core welders will work for this and a few other jobs you don't know you have yet, believe me when I say you're gonna use it more than you think. Get a good shield and gloves, I see they come with junk accessories.

Depends on far you want to go.
Do you want round bar grates?
Do you just want expanded metal?
Or both.
I have both. Different grates for different cooks.
Do you do alot of jerky? If your spacing on the round bar is to far apart, you can run into trouble. Loading and keeping the jerky on the grates.
It is all cut and weld. But you can buy cheap $10 grates for a 22" weber. Cut those and match em up to fit your grate frame. Depending on what sizes you need.
Just expanded metal for now. I like the look of expanded metal.
I think compared to the stock grates it will give it better air flow.
I do make jerky but only at Christmas.

Just expanded metal for now. I like the look of expanded metal.
I think compared to the stock grates it will give it better air flow.
I do make jerky but only at Christmas.

Make sure you buy the smooth expanded metal, there's a rough grade so ask when you buy.

What kind of welder should I buy? I probably wont do anything major. Could I get away with a cheaper harbor freight one? Thanks.
You could get by with a cheaper HF welder.
But..
I bought my Lincoln mig around 25+ yrs ago. I prefer Lincoln vs Miller. I've used both for many years. But your choice. I believe Miller makes Hobart/cheaper brand but same parts.
My point is. If you buy quality. It will/should last your life time. Also how smooth and adjustable the welder works makes your welds better.
I would not recommend digital crap. Stick with rotary dials. They are much easier to adjust while welding and they last longer than circuit boards. In my experience.
Only reason to go digital is if you weld the same thing everyday, time after time like line welding. You can get/set in your weld current/speed.
If your welding vertical or any other non table welding. The digital is a PIA.
But that's me.

But..
I bought my Lincoln mig around 25+ yrs ago. I prefer Lincoln vs Miller. I've used both for many years. But your choice. I believe Miller makes Hobart/cheaper brand but same parts.
My point is. If you buy quality. It will/should last your life time. Also how smooth and adjustable the welder works makes your welds better.
I would not recommend digital crap. Stick with rotary dials. They are much easier to adjust while welding and they last longer than circuit boards. In my experience.
Only reason to go digital is if you weld the same thing everyday, time after time like line welding. You can get/set in your weld current/speed.
If your welding vertical or any other non table welding. The digital is a PIA.
But that's me.
I am probably going with a harbor freight one. I have never welded before and want to try it out.
Either that or maybe I can find a good used one. I suppose craigslist would be a good place to look.
If I can't find a good used one then harbor freight would be ok.

Regardless of the brand or type, you chose, consider seeking out some instruction before you dive into a project. Unless your goal is to quickly become a proficient grinder, enlisting the services of a good instructor will help you get safely started on the path towards laying dimes much faster than watching a few U-tube videos and blindly burning rod (or wire) on your own.
If you have the time, most junior colleges offer basic welding classes in the evening. If your local high school has an ag program, there is a good chance the ag or industrial arts instructor would be willing to help you get started .
Good luck

Spend the time to go get trained,it is cheap and VERY HELPFUL. You will be glad you spent the coin and time.Cheaper in the long run,you're welds won't look like dawg turds or fall apart the first time you use whatever you just spent a week welding.:shocked::wink:

Find someone to get you started.
For making grates, you are not laying any kind of a bead. Not for any distance. Not even an inch. So don't worry about it.
Just tack welds mostly. As long as you have enough current and wire speed set close to the right speed. You should be fine.
If you find you really like welding. Then have someone teach you the art.
I used to be a great tig/mig welder. Nowadays, unless it is up on a table. Plenty of light. The right reader lens. I can do pretty good. But laying on my side, welding overhead, leaning over a railing etc. I can not see @#!!. Can never get a good view in focus. And after my hand surgeries, I sometimes can not weld worth crap. Heck, I even drop the handle sometimes. But I still do it. Hard to give it up.
Get a quality helmet. The time delay on the HF are pretty slow to darken compared to a high dollar helmet. The flash of light ain't good for your eye's.
The HF only have one sensor in one location compared to some that have 4 corner sensors.
Example, if your arm covers that small area of the sensor you have no darkness. Only blindness since the sensor can not see the flash.
Those who weld know what I am talking about.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend using bare wire with 70argon 25 co2.... the flux core on the small migs are using inner shield has..... no bottle required.... but they make a ugly weld..... ive been welding 40 years and it is worth using solid wire with gas.....much much easier and better..... you can tune the mig down and weld something as thin as paper with it.....with a 140 amp u will be reaching out trying to weld a thing greater than 3/16 thick.... a 140amp would be fine for small stuff.... with a 20 percent duty cycle.... you wan weld continuously for 2 minutes out of 10.....good luck!!!!!as far as grates go... use 3/4 # 9 flat for your wire....1x1x3/16 angle would last forever!!!!

But..

Don't go HF or cheap Northern. Yes, I bought one of the reconditioned little flux core welders from Northern for about $125. I thought it would be good at our farm for small projects. Lite enough and portable. It sux. Sorry, there isn't a kinder way to put it. I have a Hobart 140 and a Millermatic 251. Maybe I'm spoiled. If you were close I would give you the flux core welder. I hate it that much. In reality, if you just want expanded metal, you don't need a frame. Get a heavier grade and cut it with a cut-off wheel on a grinder. No welding necessary.

Don't go HF or cheap Northern. Yes, I bought one of the reconditioned little flux core welders from Northern for about $125. I thought it would be good at our farm for small projects. Lite enough and portable. It sux. Sorry, there isn't a kinder way to put it. I have a Hobart 140 and a Millermatic 251. Maybe I'm spoiled. If you were close I would give you the flux core welder. I hate it that much. In reality, if you just want expanded metal, you don't need a frame. Get a heavier grade and cut it with a cut-off wheel on a grinder. No welding necessary.

A no frame solution might be the way to go.
I was thinking about this. The 270's do not have frames on their grates, on the original models anyways, they are a flat piece of steel with holes laser cut in. So tubing you set it on top of the slides or remove and replace the slides, they won't fit in the stock setup.
Might save a few bucks to put towards a few other upgrades.

You might be better off by just cutting out a cardboard template and taking it to a fabricator , unless you just want to learn how to weld.
Frameless expanded metal grate will sag unless it is thick (thick = expensive)

Larry

craiglist always has welders for sale.....the welders at home depot lowes are not the same as the ones at the welding supply store even if they have Lincoln or miller attached to their name.... tractor supply has a good little Hobart that is decent

I think I am just going to leave my stock grates.
I am limiting what I am putting into this cooker and a new welder would shoot the budget.
I like the idea of learning to weld at some point in my life but not in the cards right now.
Thanks for the info guys. It is appreciated.

Back