Not all butts are created equal!

mjpmap

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Giving a neighbor a hand putting pulled pork together for this weekend. A young couple responsible for the Q for the family, but he’s working long hours while she is dealing with weekly chemo. He dropped off 3 butts from the local Kroger store. 2 butts about 8 pounds & one around 7, but really flat. Cooking on the Primo XL, RO lump & apple wood chunks. Dry rubbed with a mixed of Everglades’ rubs. Average temps have run from 230 to 240. Put Igrill probes in each with a target temp of 195, but still relying on the twist before pulling. On the fire at 11AM. The smallest was done at 5PM, with the bone pulling easily. The second wasn’t done until 7:30PM. Its after 8, and the last butt is still at 185 and the grill temp has creeped up to 280. Moral of the story is that there are no hard fast rules with pork butt. It’s done when it’s done. For a kicker, I made up a scotch bonnet & pineapple BBQ sauce to go with the pork Sammies.

Marty, I put half of a fresh pineapple and four scotch bonnet peppers on top of the butts and let them roast for half hour. Seeded the peppers and put it all in the blender with half head of fresh garlic and quarter of an onion. Turned it to a paste, then in a pan with a cup of balsamic, half cup black strap, Worcester and ketchup. I’m not great at using exact measurements, just add til it looks right. Simmered it for half hour and then in the fridge to cool. It has a bite, but its tempered quite a bit from the sugar in the molasses & pineapple.

Marty, I put half of a fresh pineapple and four scotch bonnet peppers on top of the butts and let them roast for half hour. Seeded the peppers and put it all in the blender with half head of fresh garlic and quarter of an onion. Turned it to a paste, then in a pan with a cup of balsamic, half cup black strap, Worcester and ketchup. I’m not great at using exact measurements, just add til it looks right. Simmered it for half hour and then in the fridge to cool. It has a bite, but its tempered quite a bit from the sugar in the molasses & pineapple.
Thank you very much Mike.

Bone-in butts come with a built in thermometer.When the bone pulls clean,it is done.Other than that,chop or slice if.They are both good too.

Umm...So the lot next to me is available to build on. Hint.Hint.:-D
Awesome on you for squaring your neighbors away. If the rest of the world could take a page out of that book, we would be alright.

yes not all butts are the same had four butts all about 7lbs. trimed first three where done in about 7.5 to 8 hours forth was still not done when i gave it away at 10hrs. there right it`s done when it`s done :amen:

Back