MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:06 PM   #1
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Default Tomorrow will be my 2nd Attempt at a brisket!

Funny story about the brisket I have! Got a pretty good deal IMO. I have to order briskets to get them. I called and ordered one last week from a local grocery store. The next day the truck arrived they forgot the brisket. Had to wait til their next order which are ordered Monday and delivered on Tuesday.

I went in there expecting to pay around 3.69/lb which was the cost of the last brisket I ordered which was Choice packer. I noticed the price tag was 3.10/lb figured it was a select grade. Looked at the grade label it is a 10lb USDA Prime brisket!

I know down south its a good bit cheaper. But I say they gave me a better deal due to their Error. So this will be my 2nd attempt smoking a brisket on my brinkmann trailmaster!

Last brisket I made I wrapped way to early and turned it into roast beef. Gonna try avoid doing that this time!

Any tips this time around? This time I'm left with no temp gauges I will be winging this except for the default gauge on the smoker. I think I will use a shiskabob stick to probe it?

Also Just an idea. When i consider it getting time to wrap Could I just tent it instead of wrapping it? No butcher paper. only thing I have is foil. Last time I say I could of done the entire cook without wrapping. Will the meat dry out easier if I don't wrap?
blazinfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

Bludawg's method get some.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
Danny B
Full Fledged Farker

I suggest buying a cheap oven thermometer at that grocery store to set on the grate. Keep the temp on it at 275-300 for 5 hours then wrap in butcher paper. After 2 hours start probing with the shiskabob stick right in the top middle of the brisket. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:20 PM   #4
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
I suggest buying a cheap oven thermometer at that grocery store to set on the grate. Keep the temp on it at 275-300 for 5 hours then wrap in butcher paper. After 2 hours start probing with the shiskabob stick right in the top middle of the brisket. Good luck.
Yeah well I cant make it through to the store. We have a week long festival where I'm at its freaking a mad house every day! I meant to be buy a oven thermometer but it just slipped my mind. I've decided I'm not going no where near town anymore this week! I say it'll be fine, I personally would like to have a meat thermometer but oh well =D

Old 10-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice screw up! Enjoy!!
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #6
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You do need to keep your temps nice and consistent. And as to wrapping it's up to you.
You can go the whole cook without it, but your meat will be more smokey. Do you have a brown paper bag?

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #7
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
You do need to keep your temps nice and consistent. And as to wrapping it's up to you.
You can go the whole cook without it, but your meat will be more smokey. Do you have a brown paper bag?
Yeah I have a decent size brown paper bag they put the brisket in. Asked for it for that specific reason! well I have the original temp gauge on the smoker. the only reference point I'll have tomorrow. I just know I'll be wrapping really late into the cook this time around and gonna avoid roast beef

Old 10-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #8
Diesel Dave

Well you're on the right track my friend

Wrapping in paper will not turn your brisket to pot roast. Foil does that. I cook at 250-75 and wrap at 4 hours or so into a 10 hour cook. No problems when using paper. All it's doing is keeping it from getting too smokey and the bark getting too dark.

I'd really suggest a cheap oven thermo like was mentioned. If not do your best to hold one temp through out your cook

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe

Old 10-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #9
mikemci
Babbling Farker

You can use your hand on the lid as a thermometer. That's how I've done it most of my life. It still works just fine. No dead batteries, bad probes ever.
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #10
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
Well you're on the right track my friend

Wrapping in paper will not turn your brisket to pot roast. Foil does that. I cook at 250-75 and wrap at 4 hours or so into a 10 hour cook. No problems when using paper. All it's doing is keeping it from getting too smokey and the bark getting too dark.

I'd really suggest a cheap oven thermo like was mentioned. If not do your best to hold one temp through out your cook
Yeah. It would be awesome to have gauges and stuff but oh well! I've cooked on the smoker enough to where needing to know the temp is not an issue. I just let it cook lol

Old 10-06-2015, 08:32 PM   #11
Diesel Dave

It's awesome you know your cooker that well. You got this one.
I'm betting on a WIN tomorrow

Old 10-06-2015, 08:46 PM   #12
Danny B
Full Fledged Farker

Check out this video at the top http://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq...ode-1-brisket/ showing Aaron Franklin cooking three briskets. One with foil, one with butcher paper and one naked. They turned out differently from each other but none were pot roasty. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:40 PM   #13
landarc

I always wrap by color, never time or temp. With paper, look for a deep red color, then wrap, and let the temp run. Last cook I did was without grate temps and it worked out fine.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #14
SmokeHouse Blues
Full Fledged Farker

Bludawg's method

Old 10-07-2015, 12:06 AM   #15
Bludawg

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from the FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER> This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Thanks from: --->