MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Akorn ? Guru Question

With the big Akorn following here is there anyone who uses a Guru with theirs???? It seems like a natural fit despite the point that the Akorn seems to manage well without a closed air flow system.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
NeuseRvrRat
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

check out the Akorn section on www.kamadoguru.com

there's a big Akorn following there and there are plenty of posts about Gurus and other fan controllers.
NeuseRvrRat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Thank you - I will do that.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
BBQMako
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

JB,

I have limited experience with using a PartyQ with my Akorn. I've only done about three overnight B-butts with it. Once I l learned to fine tune and stabilize my temp around 235, it has been great just leaving the PartyQ to manage the cook.

My first low and slow had me doing a couple of lump relights. It may have been operator error of course ;)
BBQMako is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
CtTradArcher
On the road to being a farker

John, I purchased my Akorn online and had it shipped to me. When I unpacked it, I discovered some damaged parts, including the ash pan. CharGriller customer service was very helpful and sent out replacement parts immediately.
I decided to keep the old ash pan and mod it for use with my Auber Instruments pit controller. I removed the slide door and fabricated a plate to accept the blower motor.
I only use it on extended cooks, like brisket or pork butt. Works very well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Akorn1.jpg (38.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Akorn2.jpg (41.6 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Akorn3.jpg (25.4 KB, 120 views)

Large UDS, Small UDS, CG Akorn, NB Bandera, NB Black Diamond, Home Built Offset, Vision Classic Kamado, Green Mountain Daniel Boone, Weber Gasser, Smokey Mountain Cabinet, and several Weber kettles of various sizes.
CtTradArcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Those are some impressive mods - I already have a guru 10 cfm fan all I would need to buy is the adapter.

I was wondering though if you would start the fire any differently. I have played with the Akorn several times while I season it - there is a big difference in starting the fire for long cooks and grilling.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
CtTradArcher

Good question. If you are not careful it's easy to overshoot your temp and not so easy to bring it back down. I do not use the blower when first getting the Akorn up to temp. I hook everything up, but leave the blower unplugged from the controller. Then I just leave the ash pan unsnapped on one side and watch for the temp to get to about 25 degrees shy of my desired temp. Once there, I plug in the blower, snap the ash pan shut, and let the controller take over. Make sense?

FYI, 10 cfm may be too much...

Large UDS, Small UDS, CG Akorn, NB Bandera, NB Black Diamond, Home Built Offset, Vision Classic Kamado, Green Mountain Daniel Boone, Weber Gasser, Smokey Mountain Cabinet, and several Weber kettles of various sizes.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for the tip.

The guru site reccomended the 10 cfm fan and my interest was peaked because I have that fan for my BWS. I will say though I have not had much trouble controlling the temps so far - the first night I seasoned the cooker it zoned in to 350 and sat there all night. I just hate having 90% of the set up if I can get more control.

I cooked steaks on it last night and I don't think I will ever look at another grill for steaks again.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
CtTradArcher

I agree. I cook on mine quite a bit. Pulled pork or brisket at 225, roasted chicken or bone-in pork roast at 350 with baked potatoes on the upper rack, pizza at 500, and steaks at 600+ with asparagus on the upper rack. Does it all and does it well.
Doing two pork shoulders for a picnic this Saturday. I will setup the controller for that cook and put them on around 11:00 pm Friday night. Then go to bed...
Very impressive cooker for the money.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Good Luck with the cook and thanks for the help.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
tnfan47
Full Fledged Farker

I'm not sure if you have been able to control the temp by the vents yet, but it might be wise if you're able to do this as a backup. You never know if the air flow system malfunctions or goes out.
tnfan47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are 100% correct! I have been playing with the vents since I got the Akron - I love it and so far it has been easy to control the heat through the vents.

I just have this problem with gadgets ... maybe there is some 12 step deal I can get into.

IMHO though - to me the big issue is starting the fire and once that is under way correctly it will be a breeze to control the air flow. I have only been playing with the Akorn a week but from what I have picked up around here it has been the easiest cook to learn I have ever had.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
discmen95
Knows what a fatty is.

I use the Pitmaster with my Akorn for slow cooks. I had a problem initially with the fire going out when trying to smoke at 225. My diffuser was a cast iron griddle. I figured out that the griddle held too much heat, so the Pitmaster stayed off too long, and the fire died. I bought a pizza pan for ten bucks off Amazon, and that solved the problem, but I can tell that at 225 the fire is always on the brink of going out. I now smoke at 250 or so. I recently did my first overnight. Slept on the couch with my Maverick nearby, it never went over 275 or below 225. It does seem, at least some of the time, to increase fuel usage.
discmen95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for the info - I have been using my pizza stone and it seems to work okay.

I have another question though - it seems that for the long cooks on the Akorn most people just set it and forget it basically - they don't wrap their butts etc. If you open the lid after say 5 hours to wrap or spray the meat - does that mess up the fire and temp beyond repair????

Old 07-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
tnfan47
Full Fledged Farker

I don't wrap or spray. I open to put the meat on and again to take it out. The Maverick has been a life saver while doing these long low and slow cooks. Once you figured out the vents, it's pretty much "set it and forget it". I still catch myself watching the Maverick every 10 minutes or so.
tnfan47 is offline   Reply With Quote