Roccbox-Detailed Post

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Some of the brethren were curious about my thoughts on going with the Roccbox pizza oven so here goes it. Finally got to break it in after receiving it over a month ago. I got in on their black Friday sale when they threw in the cover and the turning peel.

Deciding factors for me to go with the Roccbox were:

No door to open and close constantly like some of the oonis

Insulated

Built better than comparable oonis

Faster recovery times (heat renention) in between pies since I do more than a few at a time

Cooler to the touch than the oonis due to insulation

The dome is more traditional and less shallower than oonis

5 year warranty

Temp gauge

One thing too keep in mind, compared to the oonis this thing is hefty. Heavier to move around but I'll take that since it's built very well.

Rec'd the oven fast from them through Amazon since I had gift certificates I needed to use which was a good thing as they seemed to fulfill Amazon orders first I came to find out. I ordered the Wood Burner 2.0 (next gen burner since 1.0 was flawed) direct from them and it took almost 2 months to get it. :mmph: Wasn't thrilled with their customer service as they took days to reply after numerous attempts. If it's not in stock they shouldn't charge their customers and have them wait forever. I guess they learned from their mistake since a lot of people were pissed and now the website states that they'll notify when certain accessories are available again. Aside from that it really is a solid and quality oven which arrived packed very well

mYwIMU2h.jpg

QI6BZZXh.jpg

The oven

dUtIu0qh.jpg

The gas burner

HJgmkVNh.jpg

BhFTvVnh.jpg

The wood burner

5Mu0kqxh.jpg

XYIAvPZh.jpg

Comes with the pizza peel and a bottle opener

Fq8grdOh.jpg

And a sturdy carry strap

FOFP9e5h.jpg

The turning peel

Jqq4NSah.jpg

The cover which is really nice and also comes with a heavy duty carry strap

6OFtLp9h.jpg

Ready for action

Ol8XpXYh.jpg

This is a huge plus for me

KoGidyRh.jpg

Dough was made before the unpacking

EnvskYOh.jpg

Grated some mozzarella

xgllTfOh.jpg

Had this Serrano ham in the fridge for a while

OrAv9TUh.jpg

Shaved off some for the pizza :clap2:

fGqTwhfh.jpg

Let her warm up

M8XmQsMh.jpg

8jd8dLvh.jpg

The first pie

nM504NLh.jpg

wJA8sXeh.jpg

After a few flips and about a minute and a half

RRHlXTUh.jpg

Sliced up

sVdpNanh.jpg

Nice char on the whole pie

rtieEvEh.jpg

Including the crust

Y2mjyKfh.jpg

Of course I had a mishap with one of the pies with the dough being thin and created a mess :laugh: Totally my fark up.

r5rPM6ah.jpg

Overall, I am EXTREMELY happy with this oven. This thing is like a miniature traditional pizza oven. I also do have a Blackstone which is impeccable but this a great oven as far as portability and when I don't feel like moving around the burly Blackstone as I have a multi level back yard.

Next cook will be with the wood burner. So stay tuned.

lK5tnqih.jpg

Last edited:
Nice wright up man, maybe something for me to think about if I can ever seem to kill the BS

Nice wright up man, maybe something for me to think about if I can ever seem to kill the BS

Thanks Tom!

I hear you. Mine's going on it's 8th year and still working like day 1. Other than being rusty and only replacing the turn table motor that died it's kicking and no signs of it wanting to slow down either. Fires right up and ready in 10 mins. I could've done with the Blackstone but that's like having just 1 cooker. :laugh:

Thanks for the write up! Looking forward to the results using wood.

I’ve been happy with the results from my Blackstone PO, but the last time I tried to use it, no joy - Gas wasn’t making it to the burner. Disassembled what I could and cleaned it & put back together. Life has interrupted and I haven’t tried it since. Should do that. I imagine next step (if still not working) is to replace the gas line. Not something I want to do, but not really that big of a deal (if it resolves problem)

As a result I’ve been looking at the various PO’s that have a Gas/Wood option. Looking at the Ooni’s, but kinda pricey if you get the new larger one with the Wood/Gas option.

Looking forward to any additional comments Sako.

Thanks for the write up! Looking forward to the results using wood.

I’ve been happy with the results from my Blackstone PO, but the last time I tried to use it, no joy - Gas wasn’t making it to the burner. Disassembled what I could and cleaned it & put back together. Life has interrupted and I haven’t tried it since. Should do that. I imagine next step (if still not working) is to replace the gas line. Not something I want to do, but not really that big of a deal (if it resolves problem)

As a result I’ve been looking at the various PO’s that have a Gas/Wood option. Looking at the Ooni’s, but kinda pricey if you get the new larger one with the Wood/Gas option.

Looking forward to any additional comments Sako.

Thanks John!

You may have something in the line so I'd clean/blow out the burner or the line/regulator. Insects are known to get in especially if you haven't used it for a while. I know the Blackstone griddles had that problem quite a bit.

Replacement parts are pretty cheap directly from them if you find that you may need something but I'm betting it's insects.

https://blackstoneproducts.com/collections/replacement-parts?page=1

I initially wanted the ooni karu 16 but it wasn't/isn't available. Plus with all the extras added with Karu that would've put me to almost a $1000. So I figured I already have the Blackstone which makes 16" pizzas and in the 12" range the Roccbox would be perfect. I mean I had been eyeing the Roccbox for some time but couldn't justify it since I had the Blackstone. I finally bought it since I had some birthday $$ sitting in the Amazon account. Regardless it wasn't cheap since it's still cost a little below $700 and that's not including the cover and the turning peel which was part of the Black Friday sale. They (both Roccbox and Ooni) def are pricey for what they are to be honest but I do use pizza ovens quite a bit and the gift certificate put a dent on the final cost.

If you can get the Blackstone back up and running it's a fine machine. Comes to temp way quicker than the Roccbox and you don't have to rotate the pizza. I just like the whole experience with the Roccbox.

Appreciate the thorough review, Sako. Those are some of the best pizzas I've seen from you yet!

Sounds like this oven is a winner for a number of reasons. What's largest diameter pie you can fit in one?

Appreciate the thorough review, Sako. Those are some of the best pizzas I've seen from you yet!

Sounds like this oven is a winner for a number of reasons. What's largest diameter pie you can fit in one?

Thanks Richard!

I honestly didn't expect to like it this much but I surprised myself. The pizza peel is fantastic in picking up the pizzas and launching them. I was a little worried about the launching part but that's behind me. Super easy to do with the ridges and the holes on the peel. And the turn peel makes flipping of the pizzas effortless as you need to be quick since on average each pie took about a minute and a half to a minute when it was in full effect.

I'd say about 11" is max. 12" may make the flipping difficult since the pie will sit wall to wall. I'll give it a shot next time and report.

**correction** not flipping but rotating

Last edited:
Looking forward to the wood burner!

Me too neighbor. Heard it's gimmicky and uses a lot of fuel then again everyone's experience and competency is different so I have to try it myself to know for sure.

I mean some people leave a negative review on a product because the packaging was torn upon delivery. :biggrin1:

Nice review, glad ya like it!
I can’t launch with one of those pizza peels, I have to use wooden.
And I have made a mess on my stones too!

I have that same Spanish ham and have pondered what it would be like as a pizza topping - how did it work? Did it dry out or become tough? It looks great.

Nice review, glad ya like it!
I can’t launch with one of those pizza peels, I have to use wooden.
And I have made a mess on my stones too!

Thanks Mike!

Funny thing is I prefer metal or aluminum peels to launch the pies. Bought a wood peel and probably used it once.

I have that same Spanish ham and have pondered what it would be like as a pizza topping - how did it work? Did it dry out or become tough? It looks great.

Thanks Suds!

It worked really well. I went a tad bit thicker on the slices but still thin and easily chewable and it worked perfect. The plan was to top the ham after the cook if it charred or crisped up but it didn't. Only crisped/charred the edges of the ham and that's about it. Carving it fresh helped IMO since it still was still moist enough as opposed to having the slices sit for while before topping them on the pizza. Really good flavors as I also sprinkled some feta cheese with the mozzarella. A glass of cab and a slice of the pizza paired really well.

Thanks for the review and great looking pies!

I was just reading about the larger Dome a couple days ago. It looks really nice — but considering that my blackstone has been used once in the last year or two, it’s probably not something I should spending a lot of time thinking about.

Thanks for the review and great looking pies!

I was just reading about the larger Dome a couple days ago. It looks really nice — but considering that my blackstone has been used once in the last year or two, it’s probably not something I should spending a lot of time thinking about.

Thanks Bill! If you don't use the Blackstone much which is easier to use then there is no sense. The Dome is nice but in that price range I feel like there are better options for the price.

Great review Sako, thanks! Good looking pizza, too. Like Bill, I've been eyeing the Dome for a while - but it's pricey. And it's just the wife and I. Probably going to give the GMG pizza oven accessory a try in the ol' Rec Tec but the Roccbox has been on my radar as well.

I looked at the roccbox when they just came out and I liked the look of it. Just mot the prcie!
I eventually bought a 2nd hand uuni 3 and real chuffed with that one (got the pellet burner and gas burner).
Added issue was that the roccbox was too heavy as I emigrated the uuni in my suitcase ;)
Nevertheless, the roccbox looks better and more sturdy, but I believe both make great pizza's and real fast :)

Fantastic review and cook, Sako... ! My mouth is watering up here:

sVdpNanh.jpg

Back