• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hot holding questions for event

BuffaloDave

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a big bbq event upcoming. It's at 1 on a saturday, so I'm figuring out logistics. 250+ ppl Brisket, pork belly burnt ends, and chicken lollipops are the meats.

I'll be starting the brisket at one location friday 3 ish and hot holding, then bringing my smoker to the event where I'll finish. I figure I'll be on location about 7am. I was thinking about possible starting the burnt ends early (like 5am) just to give myself some breathing room. Would they be ok to hot hold for 3-4 hrs? I imagine if I keep them sauced they won't lose moisture, has anyone done this?

I have a couple carlisle cateraides and a cambro. Will the brisket be ok holding from 630 ish till 2? Are they gonna look like pot roast?

Cook brisket the day (week before, doesn't matter), slice and transfer to vac bags then into the freezer to set the juices so you can pull vacuum. Strip the wrap then reheat it at the event in full size pans 2 hours before service.

Pork and chicken are very predictable for cooking times, concentrate on cooking and serving fresh as possible with the pork and chicken.

Never screw around holding food for hours unless you have a crew that knows what they are doing one guy doing it all with just some extra hands on deck for a backyard event has way to much going on already to safely monitor holding temps.

Cook brisket the day (week before, doesn't matter), slice and transfer to vac bags then into the freezer to set the juices so you can pull vacuum. Strip the wrap then reheat it at the event in full size pans 2 hours before service.

Pork and chicken are very predictable for cooking times, concentrate on cooking and serving fresh as possible with the pork and chicken.

Never screw around holding food for hours unless you have a crew that knows what they are doing one guy doing it all with just some extra hands on deck for a backyard event has way to much going on already to safely monitor holding temps.

I thought you needed commercial vacuum sealers to use to sell food to the public?

Last edited:
Yeah it's too much risk to hold long though InthePitBBQ you're right. Gonna scrap belly burnt ends and just go brisket/pork shoulder then chicken onsite. Won't have to worry about long hold times that way. Gonna keep it simple.

I guess that I was right. Good luck. I hope your customers get what they paid for.

If I thought you were asking the questions you did because you were actually trying to be helpful I'd dignify it with an answer. But alas here we are. Your inference is waaaaaay off base, hopefully your bbq is better. Good day

Back