Money Muscle

West River BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Bill
Two questions please:

1. Under KCBS rules, are you allowed to remove the money muscle from the shoulder once it is done cooking, hold it, and then continue cooking the rest of the shoulder?

2. Does anyone have luck competing with a SPG rub on their brisket?

Thanks all.

To answer the first question, I do believe that once the butt hits 145*, you may separate as you see fit. I do exactly that.
I compete in backyard and have only done two comp briskets. I scored in the bottom half both times, so I am not really qualified to answer the second question. As long as the brisket is cooked correctly and has good flavor, give it a go.

Yes, you can remove any part of the pork butt or shoulder once it has hit 145*. I cut off the MM when I wrap but temps are usually a bit higher.

I don't think most people in KCBS would do very good with just SPG. Most use mops and wraps in addition to rubs. Many even use sauce :shocked:

Your first question is answered you're good there.

For SPG on brisket you can use only that for rub but you're going to need to bring flavor in other ways like injections, mops, braising, etc. The idea is if you bring other ingredients then make sure to keep it all in balance, don't overdo any one thing. Simple is often times better so I like your idea of starting with the basics. If you cook it right you can do well.

True story, scouts honor, swear on the souls of my grandchildren, but in 2011 I beat Johnny Trigg in ribs using only Lawry's garlic salt and pepper. I modified a sweet baby rays sauce and boom $500 in the pocket. I got my arse whooped in everything else but I beat the rib champ in ribs so I'll brag about that till I die! I kept it simple, the ribs were cooked perfect, nothing overpowered anything else and the judges loved it. It can be done.

Good luck!

Two questions please:

1. Under KCBS rules, are you allowed to remove the money muscle from the shoulder once it is done cooking, hold it, and then continue cooking the rest of the shoulder?

2. Does anyone have luck competing with a SPG rub on their brisket?

Thanks all.
1. once it's cooked AKA 145 by USDA temp guidelines, you can separate, hold different pieces etc.

2. I think you'll find many use rubs that are a SPG style as a base layer but also layer other rubs. I don't think just using an SPG rub alone would hit hard consistently.

Thanks all for the feedback. I think that beating Johnny gives you the right to bring it up whenever you can. Heck, maybe even print t-shirts. I struggle with some of the flavor profiles because I really like things simple - no gooey chicken or ribs, no sweet beef, etc. It has required a real conscious effort to apply as much salt as I do. My strategy has been to make small changes along the way and I am still working on my cooking skills. So, like many things, I'm trying to figure this out, but I like this part of the equation.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

So you were on the same table?

No I meant overall in ribs. I got 2nd, Trigg took 3rd or 4th (I forget exactly it was a long time ago). I presented a perfect square of 6 ribs, no 4 stack, and it was purdy. I can't believe that was almost 10 years ago! Seems like yesterday.

This is the rule for Pork, straight from the KCBS website:

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or
Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of four (4) pounds at the
time of inspection. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole
(bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated
and returned to the cooker at the cook’s discretion. It may be
turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any
of those.

This is the rule for Pork, straight from the KCBS website:

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or
Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of four (4) pounds at the
time of inspection. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole
(bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated
and returned to the cooker at the cook’s discretion. It may be
turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any
of those.

I have always found this funny, that more people don't go back and forth about this rule.

According to how this is written, it needs to weigh 4 pounds at inspection but could weigh 4 oz when you put it on the pit.

I have always found this funny, that more people don't go back and forth about this rule.

According to how this is written, it needs to weigh 4 pounds at inspection but could weigh 4 oz when you put it on the pit.

Yup, Exactly!!

The rule is actually more bizarre than that and, in fact, could be interpreted the exact opposite not allowing any trimming after inspection. It must weigh 4 pounds at the time of inspection but can't be separated until cooked. What separated means is up to interpretation. Everyone assumes that it means, and I am sure that was the intent, separating the money muscle from the rest of the butt.

Where it gets interesting is if I show up with a 10lb butt still in the cryo and have it inspected. I like to trim my butts to just over 4 pounds, I tend to narrow it the width of the money muscle and then trim as much as I can off the top such that all of the meat is about the same thickness as the money muscle so it is done at the same time. If I cut away 5.9 pounds of meat and fat off the top, leaving less than half of the butt that was inspected is that separated? What if I plan on doing just pulled and cut the money muscle off before it is inspected but it is still 4 pounds? What is the largest piece I can remove so that it is not distinct and separate?

It would be better if they just said you had to cook pork shoulder or butt and got rid of the 4 pound rule altogether.

The rule is actually more bizarre than that and, in fact, could be interpreted the exact opposite not allowing any trimming after inspection. It must weigh 4 pounds at the time of inspection but can't be separated until cooked. What separated means is up to interpretation. Everyone assumes that it means, and I am sure that was the intent, separating the money muscle from the rest of the butt.

Where it gets interesting is if I show up with a 10lb butt still in the cryo and have it inspected. I like to trim my butts to just over 4 pounds, I tend to narrow it the width of the money muscle and then trim as much as I can off the top such that all of the meat is about the same thickness as the money muscle so it is done at the same time. If I cut away 5.9 pounds of meat and fat off the top, leaving less than half of the butt that was inspected is that separated? What if I plan on doing just pulled and cut the money muscle off before it is inspected but it is still 4 pounds? What is the largest piece I can remove so that it is not distinct and separate?

It would be better if they just said you had to cook pork shoulder or butt and got rid of the 4 pound rule altogether.

It literally does not say anything about trimming having to be before/after inspection. That is the problem.

Where it gets interesting is if I show up with a 10lb butt still in the cryo and have it inspected. I like to trim my butts to just over 4 pounds, I tend to narrow it the width of the money muscle and then trim as much as I can off the top such that all of the meat is about the same thickness as the money muscle so it is done at the same time. If I cut away 5.9 pounds of meat and fat off the top, leaving less than half of the butt that was inspected is that separated?

No, that is not considered separated, that is trimmed. As long as the Butt is 4lbs at time of inspection you are good to go and trim the butt how you want, however after trimming it has to be cooked whole before you can separate it.

I really don't see the confusion with the rule. IMO, it's pretty cut and clear.

Last edited:
So let me see if I understand this correctly if say I want to trim after meat inspection then I can trim the butt down to a small chunk with money muscle still attached as the weight only matters at inspection.
Now I am asking lets say I trim the butt down to the size of a marble minus the money muscle then trim the money muscle into shape as long as I do this after inspection then I can do this? Is that really considered "whole"?
Just want some clarification on that. Thanks.
I could see how this could really be abused if I understand you guys correctly.

Plus one other question does it matter where I take the temp of the butt to call it cooked? I dont think it says in the rule you need to temp it in the thickest part.

No, that is not considered separated, that is trimmed. As long as the Butt is 4lbs at time of inspection you are good to go and trim the butt how you want, however after trimming it has to be cooked whole before you can separate it.

I really don't see the confusion with the rule. IMO, it's pretty cut and clear.

I agree it is very clear. Just not sure it is clearly interpreted by everyone.

Back