Reaction score
Friday put these 3 (and a couple more) in a brine of-
1qt Water
3/4tsp Prague #1
1/4c salt
1/2c raw sugar

ghqolWi.jpeg

D2Es0Xk.jpg

~90min in. Cheated and used the water pan since I was originally planning on a nap

oVFYeuo.jpeg

Started raining, forecast for less than an hour so could not be bothered to get out the whole umbrella, as I did not take said nap

ezl1VYt.jpg

~3hrs in and flipped for fun

hUKfOFy.jpeg

4hrs in it got super cloudy (and nothing happened) so I threw them in the oven set to 200*F for another ~hour til I ate

w2Gxs8l.jpg

2LBCEHQ.jpeg

Went a little heavier on cumin than I prefer eaten as-is, but it gave me the idea of apple pie mole baked beans which I am very much looking forward to making. Thanks for watching!

Looks good, we eat fried Pineapple with ours

I'm a big fan of pineapple- drink juice almost every morning and like it with/on just about anything pizza, burgers etc. Need to get some pineapple preserves/jam for wrapping ham ribs, ham burnt ends, and to make some pineapple gochujang/bulgogi

What piece of meat did you get these ham steaks cut from? Looks good!

They're butt steaks, a ubiquitously popular/easily-found cut around here known simply as "pork steaks". <$1.60 or less buying only a few lbs, and when butts go on sale they'll slice them however thick for free. Technically I suppose it's buckboard bacon, but my username isn't buckboardbacondrew, lol, and that cure ratio (Pop's Low-Sugar Brine) tastes much more like ham IMO.

Only thing I would (SHOULD, imo) have done different is cooked them on a rib rack fat side up, but I apparently lost mine moving this winter.. Those things not surprisingly make a very noticeable difference for pork steaks

Ham steaks cooked in a rib rack,interesting.The eats look divine!

Ham steaks cooked in a rib rack,interesting.The eats look divine!

I rarely have reason to use the rib rack for ribs, so, to me, they have almost always been pork steak racks, LOL. Having that fat cap up where it belongs.. Can get more fat drippings in a pan of baked beans/whatever, too!

I rarely have reason to use the rib rack for ribs, so, to me, they have almost always been pork steak racks, LOL. Having that fat cap up where it belongs.. Can get more fat drippings in a pan of baked beans/whatever, too!
Never thought of using a rib rack for pork steaks. Other than the obvious space saver and catching the drippings, what else would be the noticeable benefits?

Thanks,

Robert

Never thought of using a rib rack for pork steaks. Other than the obvious space saver and catching the drippings, what else would be the noticeable benefits?

Thanks,

Robert

It just cooks much more evenly from the fat constantly basting the whole thing, particularly noticeable on leaner loin-end steaks.

They're butt steaks, a ubiquitously popular/easily-found cut around here known simply as "pork steaks". <$1.60 or less buying only a few lbs, and when butts go on sale they'll slice them however thick for free. Technically I suppose it's buckboard bacon, but my username isn't buckboardbacondrew, lol, and that cure ratio (Pop's Low-Sugar Brine) tastes much more like ham IMO.

Only thing I would (SHOULD, imo) have done different is cooked them on a rib rack fat side up, but I apparently lost mine moving this winter.. Those things not surprisingly make a very noticeable difference for pork steaks

I got ya, this is why I asked. I thought they looked really similar to pork steaks, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something out there looking that appetizing I didn't know about. Thanks.

Back