Lewis BBQ here

johnlewis469

Reaction score
This thread came up on a Google search of our pit building company, “Austin Smoke Works vs other guys out there”. Haven’t been on this forum in quite a while, but gonna add my opinion. There is a bunch of copy cat pit builders out there now, mostly replicating Franklin and Lewis pit builds. There is something that comes with serving masses of guests and cooking for that day in and day out over a long period of time that leads someone to start building the perfect tool that produces the exact results you want with minimal room for error. That’s how I came upon the eventual pit design we for Austin Smoke Works, and what we use every day for our successful restaurant, with a large staff of cooks that rotate in an out constantly. That’s the life of operating a restaurant, constantly training new pit cooks, that come and go, and these pits are designed to make that process more idiot proof. So first thing to think about, is your pit builder operating a successful restaurant with tried and true results? Do they understand completely all the nuances that go into the design, which crear a consistent product 7 days a week? You’ll get that with an Austin Smoke Works pit.

Last thing I’d like to say about any offset pit you are looking at, is fire one up before you buy it. When you open the fire box door, no smoke should come towards you, even wide open with an active fire burning full logs. It should be sucked into the cook chamber and out through the smokestack. I’ve spent years of trial and error with long pit builds perfecting this, and we have a winner with the pit design I’ve settled on. It due to rolled smoke stacks of a perfectly sized diameter, rolled reducers from the steel 90degree elbow, that are perfectly sized for the cook chamber. Many have copied the outside look of my pits, but used off the shelf pipe and fittings. The one thing they haven’t gotten right yet, is the connection between the fire box( underneath all that insulation and outer square steel shell). It’s the most important part of the functionality of these pits, and also the hardest/most time consuming portion of the build. But it makes the world of difference.

Anyways, test out pits before you buy, open that firebox door, if smoke ( any bit) comes back towards you, I’d say it’s not a perfectly designed pit. So whoever you’re looking at a big purchase from, I’d try that test first, it’s my first thing to check the box on!

Welcome John! We are glad you stopped by and I am sure there will be a million questions for you concerning pits and your legacy in the business. I hope you hang around for the fun!

And thanks for the info and insights to what to look for in a good pit!

Had some great BBQ come off one of your pits up in Richmond at ZZQ. Happened to be wearing my Lewis BBQ hat and had a fantastic conversation with the folks there.

I've owned a few offsets and I can't remember opening the fb door and heat not coming out of the fb. Temps drop too. Glad you pointed that out. The guys at LA bbq let me play with the pits a few years ago. They run almost too easily. I thought it would take a lot of wood and effort to keep those huge pits at 250 but I was wrong. You just started me down a new rabbit hole... [emoji106]

Looking forward to hearing more wisdom from you!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This thread came up on a Google search of our pit building company, “Austin Smoke Works vs other guys out there”. Haven’t been on this forum in quite a while, but gonna add my opinion. There is a bunch of copy cat pit builders out there now, mostly replicating Franklin and Lewis pit builds. There is something that comes with serving masses of guests and cooking for that day in and day out over a long period of time that leads someone to start building the perfect tool that produces the exact results you want with minimal room for error. That’s how I came upon the eventual pit design we for Austin Smoke Works, and what we use every day for our successful restaurant, with a large staff of cooks that rotate in an out constantly. That’s the life of operating a restaurant, constantly training new pit cooks, that come and go, and these pits are designed to make that process more idiot proof. So first thing to think about, is your pit builder operating a successful restaurant with tried and true results? Do they understand completely all the nuances that go into the design, which crear a consistent product 7 days a week? You’ll get that with an Austin Smoke Works pit.

Last thing I’d like to say about any offset pit you are looking at, is fire one up before you buy it. When you open the fire box door, no smoke should come towards you, even wide open with an active fire burning full logs. It should be sucked into the cook chamber and out through the smokestack. I’ve spent years of trial and error with long pit builds perfecting this, and we have a winner with the pit design I’ve settled on. It due to rolled smoke stacks of a perfectly sized diameter, rolled reducers from the steel 90degree elbow, that are perfectly sized for the cook chamber. Many have copied the outside look of my pits, but used off the shelf pipe and fittings. The one thing they haven’t gotten right yet, is the connection between the fire box( underneath all that insulation and outer square steel shell). It’s the most important part of the functionality of these pits, and also the hardest/most time consuming portion of the build. But it makes the world of difference.

Anyways, test out pits before you buy, open that firebox door, if smoke ( any bit) comes back towards you, I’d say it’s not a perfectly designed pit. So whoever you’re looking at a big purchase from, I’d try that test first, it’s my first thing to check the box on!
Wish you guy’s made a backyard size. Would love one myself.

I think for most of us the issue is size. Yeah...I said it! :heh:

For me even a 250 gallon at 30x94 is just too much cooker. Im just a back yard cook. 1 brisket at a time. Any plans to make anything smaller or under $5k? My guess is that it's probably not that profitable for you guys. I've wanted one of your cookers for years but just don't have a need to cook a dozen briskets anymore.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes, a smaller backyard version woud be nice. But maybe offering too many different sizes might affect production of the mainstay in a negative way.

Thanks for the info John. I’m not to far from you in North Myrtle Beach. I make a trip to Charleston a few times a year, and ometime just to eat at your place and drive right home. You do an amazing job and put out the best bbq around. I tell people if I had to have a last meal it would be at Lewis BBQ. Also love Juan Luis! Can’t beat the tortillas!

Really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us!

Thanks for the great info. I've enjoyed visiting Charleston and your restaurant many times. And now you've got me itching for the ASW 250.

I love Lewis BBQ. I’m two hours away so we don’t make it down there often but I always try to time my trips around a brisket sandwich. Just wish I could get down there more often for the bbq rueben on Thursday’s. That is probably my all time favorite sandwich.

Anyone know what that "rolled smoke stack" comment meant? Is there something going on inside that exhaust tube?

It just means they roll the stack to a specific diameter to tune it to the cook chamber somehow. They would also have to roll the collar piece underneath it to match it to the custom-diameter stack. They aren't buying a ready made pipe off the shelf. At least that's what I gather from all that. I have no idea he means when he talks about the opening between the cook chamber and firebox but I assume its a certain size and shape to work with the cook chamber and stack in some way that maximizes the air flow or finely tunes it.

I love Lewis BBQ. I’m two hours away so we don’t make it down there often but I always try to time my trips around a brisket sandwich. Just wish I could get down there more often for the bbq rueben on Thursday’s. That is probably my all time favorite sandwich.

I second this. That sandwich is a gift from the gods. the homemade dressing and sauerkraut put it over the top.

I’m betting the dont roll their stacks from plate....

John?

Back