Some recommendations from those with experience

RNF

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My mom is having her 83 birthday next Saturday and I am cooking for her party. She has 30 confirmed guests that ages will vary from mid fifties to mid eighties.

I am planning on doing two briskets, three racks of spare ribs and a turkey on my Big Easy for those who might not care for bbq. The sides will be a full serving pans of baked beans and potatoes salad. I'm also doing a half pan of mac n cheese, cold slaw and collard greens.

Is this enough food or am I over doing it. They will serve their self. Thanks for all advise.

I would say your good. But my 95 yr old dad can still pack away 2 plates full and 2 desert plates when there is good food. And he is a skinny man.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am amazed at how much my 87 year old dad can eat when it is something he likes.

It always depends on your type of guests, which you know best, but my guidelines for buffet style events like this generally 1/2 pound of meat per person, and full size pans of sides are about 30 servings and half pans are roughly 15 servings. Assuming about 6oz portions.

So if you were to say have 14 pounds of cooked brisket, that alone would yield almost a half pound per person. With ribs and turkey being offered as well there should be plenty to go around.

marubozo,
This is the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks.

Back