MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #1
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill
Default Looking to add to the stable

I'm thinking about adding a portable smoker to cook along-side my cabinet. It will mostly be for running hot, 300+ for chicken and the like. I've been interested in a UDS but I'd rather not spend so much. Any thoughts on how a kettle would work out? Is it worth the extra money to get a drum? I'd rather not quickly outgrow it (the kettle). I'm posting this in the Competition area because that would be its main use.
West River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2019, 07:47 PM   #2
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West River BBQ View Post
I'm thinking about adding a portable smoker to cook along-side my cabinet. It will mostly be for running hot, 300+ for chicken and the like. I've been interested in a UDS but I'd rather not spend so much. Any thoughts on how a kettle would work out? Is it worth the extra money to get a drum? I'd rather not quickly outgrow it (the kettle). I'm posting this in the Competition area because that would be its main use.
Build an UDS. I built mine out of old junk. I originally built it as a no weld project. I will say I got my brother to weld the gas pipe nipples on as they ripped through the one time. If you can get someone to weld then get those welded on. If nod conduit nuts work but check them for being tight. Every couple of cooks.

You could also order a big poppa smokers kit.
Rusty Kettle is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

How do you plan on cooking the chicken?

I kettle will do fine, lots of folks use them for chicken. You may have to play around with the fire setup if you want to go indirect to find out what works best for you.

But, I can’t say enough about my Hunsaker drums. They do a fantastic job on chicken! We did a practice cook today and the chicken was great! Moist, tender, bite through skin, everything we hope that the judges are looking for

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2019, 08:57 PM   #4
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

For around $300 including shipping, this is a difficult option to beat https://ssomd.com/products/red-box-smoker

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2019, 05:38 AM   #5
ffemtreed
Got Wood.

a 14" WSM is good for cooking chicken and doesn't take up too much room. Personally I wouldn't want to haul around a UDS or any large drum just to cook chicken at a comp.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:13 PM   #6
rorkin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
How do you plan on cooking the chicken?

I kettle will do fine, lots of folks use them for chicken. You may have to play around with the fire setup if you want to go indirect to find out what works best for you.

But, I can’t say enough about my Hunsaker drums. They do a fantastic job on chicken! We did a practice cook today and the chicken was great! Moist, tender, bite through skin, everything we hope that the judges are looking for
Use my Hunsacker for hanging ribbs till wrap then full cook for chicken,.. I do the chicken in mini loaf pans.. Wonderful..
GMG Davy Crockett
KCBS Master Judge/Certified Table Captain/100+ Club
SCA Prime Judge

"I have more smokers than I need but not as many as I want "
rorkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #7
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Thanks all. I appreciate the input.
West River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2019, 03:29 PM   #8
didisea
Take a breath!

While I don't have one personally, a Pit Barrel Cooker is on the lower end of the drum price spectrum at $299.
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

A PK Grill isn't a bad chicken cooker either.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #10
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

We do our comp chicken on a Pit Barrel.

Tags
kettle, uds