Kettle or Santa Maria....

IFlyEm

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I am thinking about adding a charcoal or wood grill to my collection. Originally I was thinking about just getting a Weber kettle but the more I see Santa Maria grills the more I am thinking about cruising over to California to pick one up.

66174693_1281878235302526_902574646971334656_n.jpg

Talk me out of it!

Two different cookers for sure. Which better meets your needs and the way/things you tend to cook?

That looks like a seriously fun piece of kit.

That said... my $149 22.5" kettle from Weber is ridiculously versatile, and makes great 'cue (especially when I'm just cooking for my immediate family).

The addition of a Vortex and a set of firebricks turn this humble kettle into just about whatever sort of cooker I need.

Absolutely no bias... just a couple of thoughts to add to the pot.

Also, I'd be curious to know what you fly. :wink:

Kind regards and thin blue.

Two different cookers for sure. Which better meets your needs and the way/things you tend to cook?

I'm thinking just things like burgers, steaks, tri tip etc. Basically everything I do on my Egg. I am debating on selling it actually. I rarely use it anymore with my Lone Star and Yoder.

Awww, I see that you already have a great cooking arsenal. If you just want a FUN cooker that will turn out some fantastic grilled meat... that SM grill can’t be beat. That said, if you want an all-season, brain dead simple and highly versatile grill that also happens to make for a fantastic charcoal smoker... then the kettle is gonna be hard to beat. Tough choice buddy ;)

That looks like a seriously fun piece of kit.

That said... my $149 22.5" kettle from Weber is ridiculously versatile, and makes great 'cue (especially when I'm just cooking for my immediate family).

The addition of a Vortex and a set of firebricks turn this humble kettle into just about whatever sort of cooker I need.

Absolutely no bias... just a couple of thoughts to add to the pot.

Also, I'd be curious to know what you fly. :wink:

Kind regards and thin blue.

Sweet! I'll have to check out the Vortex.

I fly an Airbus 320

I have had a Klose, have a Shirley, a drum, and a nice weber gas grill. Ive cooked on kettles and pellet grills too and in my opinion santa maria grills make the best chicken and tri tip hands down. Patience, fuel and grill jockeying are needed to use a santa maria though the food off a SM grill is incredible.

So I am thinking about adding a charcoal or wood grill to my collection. Originally I was thinking about just getting a Weber kettle but the more I see Santa Maria grills the more I am thinking about cruising over to California to pick one up.

66174693_1281878235302526_902574646971334656_n.jpg

Talk me out of it!

I have a built-in Santa Maria and love it. I also have a Kettle and love it. My vote is one of each...:mrgreen:

A Santa Maria is on the wish list so no personal experience with one. Given your current lineup though I think it's the one that would add more fun for you. A Kettle is incredibly versatile but you don't really need a single grill that will do everything

I’ve had a Santa Maria with a regular grate and an Argentine V grate. I now have a Weber 26. For me, I’ve tried many others and keep coming back to Weber. The 26 is so versatile!

It was mentioned above but someone makes a pretty serious looking attachment for a kettle. I think Babyback Maniac had a video about it if memory serves.....agree with an above statement......looks like a seriously fun device.......let us know what you get!!!

I have a SM, I love it. and it is a blast to cook on for sure but I will not be without a kettle.

The way I see it, the SM is a luxury and a kettle is a necessity.

4c2dbdd42e25031c883d8c4431475399.jpg
il_fullxfull.999618163_h94d.jpg

Cost of shipping is holding me back, but I'm very tempted.

Pick up a Weber for cheap on CL then cruise over to California and getcha a SM!

I got mine from Old Pioneer Manufacturing in Buellton, CA and would purchase from them again.

If you get a SM I strongly encourage a wind block, it helps a lot with the wind :crazy:, safety, and heat. Or get a SM with a lid from AZ BBQ Outfitters! Also consider a firebox door that opens, it makes ash cleanup very easy.

And I use the lid off my Weber on the SM when I need to.

Attachments

• EEE760B7-698E-46CC-BECD-1153695087B1.jpg
    EEE760B7-698E-46CC-BECD-1153695087B1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 51
Back