Pork Loin Help

GatorBeerGeek

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
While looking through the Roadmap for Pork Loin and following some links, I came across this post and it seemed to be very close to what I was looking/hoping to do.

I have a couple of reservations about it due to trying to make everyone in the house happy and was hoping some more experienced cooks could help me out with how to change it. I do not know what the TexasRub is that he mentions, but I assume it will have some heat which will not work for the wife. She can't stand much of anything (black pepper and even cumin are not welcome) in terms of spice. I would like to rub down the outside to get a bit of a crust, but would salt, onion powder, and garlic powder accomplish much? Are there any tips for getting a bit of a bark while not offending my wife with spice?

Also, a lot of Florentine style oven recipes call for wilting the spinach first on the stove before rolling, is that not needed for a smoker?

If anyone has a good video showing a butterfly technique for getting a nice spiral for a pork loin I would greatly appreciate it. My searches seem to mainly be hitting on pork tenderloins where they are just sliced in half and stuffed. I dont think that will work well for the large 5" diameter loins like they sell at Sam's.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Yes SPOG works great and is usually non offensive to most. I like roll cutting a pork loin, below is a video.

My SPOG.
2 ounces kosher salt
2 ounces course pepper
1 ounce granulated garlic powder
1 ounce granulated onion powder

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131.61kTeFuHzoA#kpvalbx=1

Now I feel stupid. I watched that video (but without audio because of work) and gave up when she just sliced the first one in half. Thanks for making me take a longer look.

Now I feel stupid. I watched that video (but without audio because of work) and gave up when she just sliced the first one in half. Thanks for making me take a longer look.

Yeah got to watch the video to the end to see both methods.:p

SPOG and wrap in bacon. Pull to tent at 145°

As mentioned, my wife cant take the P in SPOG, so I was a bit worried by SOG not creating much bark. Half because the unfortunate acronym and half because for me pepper is the star of the show and I assumed, likely incorrectly, it was the main part that formed the bark. I'll just give it a go and see how it works out.

Back