MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #946
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
That hurts Bob.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Steven Raichlen's new Project Smoke series on PBS features the PBC among other cookers. While he does at times use lump charcoal and addd some exotic woods and spices to the coal basket, in all cases so far he lights charcoal in a chimney and dumps the contents on top of his charcoal base. No pure minion method for him. Guess he is a mish mash guy.
Not everyone can be perfect Bob! You know the saying ....Expert of all and master of none! So who's your expert Steven Raichlen or meathead? I can't straighten everyone up Bobbie...All i know is cooking with fire goes back to the caveman days and they didn't mishmash their charcoal.

Quote:
Some people just can't take a compliment!
I can Bob!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #947
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Not everyone can be perfect Bob! You know the saying ....Expert of all and master of none! So who's your expert Steven Raichlen or meathead? I can't straighten everyone up Bobbie...All i know is cooking with fire goes back to the caveman days and they didn't mishmash their charcoal.

I can Bob!
We do not know how Meathead lights his coals in the PBC. As he says, the PBC breaks all of the rules, so it is quite likely that he uses Noah's successful, well-tested methods of lighting rather than his usual method.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #948
Fwismoker

Quote:
We do not know how Meathead lights his coals in the PBC. As he says, the PBC breaks all of the rules, so it is quite likely that he uses Noah's successful, well-tested methods of lighting rather than his usual method.
You're probably right Bob...I'll contact meathead and see if he and Dr.Blonder can change/update their info. If the rules of fire and smoke don't apply in the confines of the PB this is truly earth shattering in the world of BBQ and when I get mine eventually I have a new learning curve.

Your PM is full so if you find a CL old school non porcelain near me PLEASE let me know! I can't do the porcelain because i want to weld something on. TY

Old 08-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #949
Fwismoker

Jsmorrow, please disregard what worked out for you (no more Ron's method) ....I'm going back with Bob.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #950
Bob C Cue

Quote:
You're probably right Bob...I'll contact meathead and see if he and Dr.Blonder can change/update their info. If the rules of fire and smoke don't apply in the confines of the PB this is truly earth shattering in the world of BBQ and when I get mine eventually I have a new learning curve.

Your PM is full so if you find a CL old school non porcelain near me PLEASE let me know! I can't do the porcelain because i want to weld something on. TY
The Amazing ribs site says this about MODs:

WARNING: Do not modify your Pit Barrel. Unlike many other inexpensive smokers, Pit Barrel should work great right out of the box. If it does not, call the manufacturer. You're probably doing something wrong. We occasionally hear about some well thought out and well executed mods. Indeed our Pit Barrel Maven, Jerod Broussard, has supercharged his PBC. However, as Dave Parrish, another of our Moderators, points out, "When Max states you shouldn't mod your cooker he was speaking to the legion of folks who cannot resist modding something the second they get it home. Many of these folks are coming from cheap offset smokers and had to mod their COS to get it to work. PBCs work great right out of the box. My PBC is mod free and works great."

And says this about the PBC instructions:

We planned to begin our tests with a couple slabs of ribs, hanging one on each rod. You could easily fit eight slabs. The Pit Barrel website has a number of clear instructional videos for lighting the coal and making various recipes from Ribs to Pizza to Rack of Lamb. Use our recipes for preparation, but follow Pit Barrel's cooking instruction because it cooks faster than most smokers. You may start the coal with lighter fluid or a chimney.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].

Old 08-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #951
Fwismoker

Quote:
The Amazing ribs site says this about MODs:

WARNING: Do not modify your Pit Barrel. Unlike many other inexpensive smokers, Pit Barrel should work great right out of the box. If it does not, call the manufacturer. You're probably doing something wrong. We occasionally hear about some well thought out and well executed mods. Indeed our Pit Barrel Maven, Jerod Broussard, has supercharged his PBC. However, as Dave Parrish, another of our Moderators, points out, "When Max states you shouldn't mod your cooker he was speaking to the legion of folks who cannot resist modding something the second they get it home. Many of these folks are coming from cheap offset smokers and had to mod their COS to get it to work. PBCs work great right out of the box. My PBC is mod free and works great."

And says this about the PBC instructions:

We planned to begin our tests with a couple slabs of ribs, hanging one on each rod. You could easily fit eight slabs. The Pit Barrel website has a number of clear instructional videos for lighting the coal and making various recipes from Ribs to Pizza to Rack of Lamb. Use our recipes for preparation, but follow Pit Barrel's cooking instruction because it cooks faster than most smokers. You may start the coal with lighter fluid or a chimney.
It would of looked bad if they would have trashed Noah's instructions? PM Ron and let him know about this stat Bob! I don't want to be responsible for anyone ruining their food! Better get Jsmorrow back on the straight and narrow too!

So Did Meathead write that or was it someone else? I'm more worried about him hurting his reputation putting out bad information on the fire and smoke article. He should at least do an amended version taking into consideration the PB!

Old 08-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #952
Bob C Cue

Quote:
It would of looked bad if they would have trashed Noah's instructions? PM Ron and let him know about this stat Bob! I don't want to be responsible for anyone ruining their food! Better get Jsmorrow back on the straight and narrow too!

So Did Meathead write that or was it someone else? I'm more worried about him hurting his reputation putting out bad information on the fire and smoke article. He should at least do an amended version taking into consideration the PB!
I know you just like to stir up stuff, but when you tell those who are new to the PBC to disregard the instructions and what works for thousands and thousands of users, people start to talk and wonder what your motives are. Why do you think my PM box was full?

I have never denied that other methods of lightening the PBC won't work, but it makes absolutely no sense to tell someone who is new to the PBC how to light their unit when you do not have one. But like I said we all know you like to stir it up.

PS. The reason you are having problems finding a used PBC is that people love them and do not want to get rid of them. The poor guy in Chicago was ordered to sell his unit by his wife as they just hand twins and I guess he needs to spend more time with them!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Old 08-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #953
Fwismoker

Quote:
I know you just like to stir up stuff, but when you tell those who are new to the PBC to disregard the instructions and what works for thousands and thousands of users, people start to talk and wonder what your motives are. Why do you think my PM box was full?

I have never denied that other methods of lightening the PBC won't work, but it makes absolutely no sense to tell someone who is new to the PBC how to light their unit when you do not have one. But like I said we all know you like to stir it up.

PS. The reason you are having problems finding a used PBC is that people love them and do not want to get rid of them. The poor guy in Chicago was ordered to sell his unit by his wife as they just hand twins and I guess he needs to spend more time with them!
Bob I would never stir anything up that is sacred to me such as BBQ!

Jsmorrow had a issue and the only person that nailed what his issue was...was me. No one else got it right that bad smoke was the problem. He followed PBC's instructions to a T. Unfortunately the "crew" and the crews leaders never thought that possible.

His cook last night was successful, his smoke went from thick to thin and his chicken was the best he's had so if you want me to apologize i will.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #954
Bob C Cue

Someone else want to jump in a deal with this maroon? I'm gonna take a break.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Last edited by Bob C Cue; 08-04-2015 at 12:14 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #955
Fwismoker

That's unfortunate.

This forum is about helping people and offering our suggestions and advice on any cooker.

WSM's instructions say use a water pan, many here do not but if anyone suggests to not use one no one calls them names and belittles them.

Cookers have instructions and it's not against any rules to try to help someone try a different way or method if what they have tried has failed.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #956
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

I think the both of you like to stir things up - against each other. It isn't helping this thread.

I'd like to ask you both to make nice and post like gentlemen. People are coming to this thread for information and help and they are getting a bit too much noise mixed in, IMO. Keith likes to explore all things BBQ and to help others. This can be seen all over the site. Bob is rightly happy with the PBC and frustrated by all the scoffing by those who have never cooked on one. Both of you like to rise to a challenge a bit too quickly.

Just my 2 cents.
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #957
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

If I had the money to spare I'd buy a shiny new one for myself and ship you mine!

Quote:
I've been looking for a PBC on craigslist but unfortunately I can't find one close to me yet. I did find this one outside Chicago if it can help someone.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/for/5150372276.html

Old 08-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #958
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar8302 View Post
Huli-Huli chicken (recipe from here: http://briantissot.com/2015/05/25/bb...barrel-cooker/)

Quite possibly the best chicken I've ever had. :)

This look wickedly good - fine job!

Old 08-04-2015, 02:22 PM   #959
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Folk... Best to play nice now that mods are on alert. As always any and all constructive solutions are encouraged here and we leave it to the op to determine which to try. Don't shoot down a response that has merit even if you don't agree or don't know about it. That's not how we work here.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2015, 02:46 PM   #960
16Adams

My new lucky fishing glasses. Costa's.

Or they will be lucky when I baptize them in Pit Barrel Cooker smoke tomorrow.

Last edited by 16Adams; 09-02-2015 at 03:06 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it