Craigs list find...is this a good deal???

HumboldtSmokeBBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
I am answer shopping here, my soon to be wife may not let me buy this for the "oh so low price of $200.00". I plan to build a double Barrel smoker after the wedding as a winter project. I maight have a hard time justifying both...Which is better, by DBS that is on the Horizon, or this. I want both of course, but what would you do? no such thing as a stupid response, I can provide dimensions if needed. location:Brookings Oregon
grill1.jpg

grill2.jpg

grill3.jpg

grill4.jpg

$200.00 seems like a good price for a Santa Maria style grill. I have priced them over $1500.00.

This is a Santa Maria GRILL. While it's worth a helluva lot more than $200 (meaning,
if it's what you want, it's a STEAL), it's in no way, shape, or form a smoker. It'll
grill a mean steak and other stuff, but it's not a smoker...

you should be able to grill direct or indirect as is.
you could add a cover and smoke i believe it would be easy to make a top, maybe a half barrel lid that raises and lowers under grate.
jon

I understand, sorry about that last post, i know it is not a smoker...not what i meant really, I meant to ask if I could still do indirect grilling on it.
But it really is that good a deal????
I caould have my soon to be built DBS and this as my two main cookers...a man can dream.

To me, it looks to be VERY heavy duty, particularly to be on rollers. If I were any where
near that area, I'd be on this faster'n a tick on a... nevermind. YES, it seems like
a GREAT deal, IF it's what you're looking for. The guys that grill on these swear by
them. I understand that a steak done Texas style (over oak) on one of these is
WONDERFUL.

I have a lot of oak...look how deep that sucker is! I should really jump all over this thing I think...
Just to have along side my cheap off set for now, and this winter is a long one, I can build my DBS super slow if money is an issue. I just wish would hold it till after the wedding.

Ok, I asked the guy if he would hold it for me...It looks really fun. I will keep you all posted. I hope he holds it for me. It has been on CL for awhile. the more I look at it, the more i want it. I bet that thing would be a blast for alike a lamb leg or something. I keep thinking about a rotisserie for it.

Indirect grilling doesn't work without a lid... similar to smoking. Most of the heat rises us and not necessarily towards the meat. I know I tried beer butt chicken without a lid... total disaster. Had to try something though, the grill I was going to use was busted and no one told me.

I would buy it and put my wedding on hold until I could raise more cash for the wedding.
Dave

UI hear you buddy, trust me...what a PIA this wedding thing has been...I wish we could just BBQ in the back yard...
OK, i am going to scrape up $200.00 and while she is away this weekend at her bacholerette/bridal shower party, I am driving the 90 miles to pick up my new Grill...and then this winter build me a DBS, and next spring have a new signiture on my Brethren posts!!!!
I got to take a stand on this one! Thanks Brethren! Pics to follow so you know it happened!

What is she gonna do not marry you????
Who's gonna wear the pants in that family of yours????
Git er done!!!!!!!

UI hear you buddy, trust me...what a PIA this wedding thing has been...I wish we could just BBQ in the back yard...
OK, i am going to scrape up $200.00 and while she is away this weekend at her bacholerette/bridal shower party, I am driving the 90 miles to pick up my new Grill...and then this winter build me a DBS, and next spring have a new signiture on my Brethren posts!!!!
I got to take a stand on this one! Thanks Brethren! Pics to follow so you know it happened!

Ok here is a plan, if you have not already talked to her about this. Get it cleaned up and painted, make it look new, then have a friend give it to you for a wedding gift. That way you will get your new wedded life off to a good start based on your ability too keep a secret er I mean well you know what I mean. :wink:
Dave

Back