New LSG Mini - Seasoning and Naked Fattys

nweave2614

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Nick
So my mini was just delivered today, as everyone else mentioned its a tank and the build quality is extremely high. It took 3 guys to get it up on my deck, but once it was up there I sprayed her down with pam and started the seasoning run using Harleykids method to start the fire and my fireboard drive.

Couple things I noticed.
1. The fireboard fan was basically on at 100% all the way up to 220 degrees then it dropped to 60%, which lead to a 20 degree overshoot, set point was 225 and it ended up settling in at 245. No big deal but something I will have to plan for if the fireboard does not "learn" to shut the fan down earlier.

2. Once the fireboard fan shut down it never came back on, not once, had the ball valve set at 1/3 and stack at 1/3 and the temp held rock solid for 4 hours at 240 (it dropped from 245 when I added my fatties).

3. At hour 4 right now, and the temp is starting to creep up, its sitting at 253 right now, the only thing I could think is I stoked the fire when I opened the door to take the fatties out.

4. The fatties tasted amazing, I just used KBB and some cherry wood I have had sitting around forever for the seasoning run, I have high hopes when I start using my 100% hardwood chefs select and the better seasoned wood I picked up. The wood taste was very clean compared to my PBC.

Attachments

• IMG_20190624_222125.jpg
    IMG_20190624_222125.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_20190624_174144.jpg
    IMG_20190624_174144.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 211
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 206
:clap: Very nice. I should be making a trip down to Willis this week to get my LSG. I hope my results are as good as yours.

My fireboard tends to overshoot on my IVS as well.

I set the initial temp 25 or so degrees below my final temp. Let it hit that or more likely overshoot it and start coming back down a little. Then change temp to the final temp.

I also limit the fan to 50%.

Congrats! I also have switched from a PBC to a cabinet smoker. I have been struggling a little bit getting used to it. But even so, I think in the long run I will be happier. Keep us posted on your journey!

Congrats! I also have switched from a PBC to a cabinet smoker. I have been struggling a little bit getting used to it. But even so, I think in the long run I will be happier. Keep us posted on your journey!

Will do! Planning on an overnight shoulder tonight so we will see how that goes.

I will say I emptied the ash pan today and I was surprised at how much charcoal and wood did not fully burn out in my snake, not sure if the fire was not high quality enough or what but there was quite a bit of half burnt and unburnt coals all the way around the snake path that I made, I forgot to take a picture so we will see tonight if it burns any better. Planning to run at 225 without water, put about 10 lbs of coal and 2 lbs of applewood in the firebox. Should be plenty for an 8 lb shoulder

She's a beaut! I'm sure some more runs under your belt and things will smooth out with the charcoal

Back