MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default I cooked, in case ya'll forgot

from time to time, I cook something. It has been months, various issues from work to doing my best imitation of a pincushion. Here is the preliminary pron, there will be more details to follow.

I am gonna just say, I really rocked the kettle today. Thanks to Steph of Simply Marvelous and Tom of Big Butz for the assist.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
landarc

Oh, in case you were wondering...

pretty clean bite, tiny tiny chicken thigh

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
Wampus

HE'S BACK!!!!

I just wanna say, I love bratwurst. There......that's it.

Oh, and......what's that green tomato relish like? Spicy? Tart? Never tried such a thing!

There......THAT is all I wanted to say.

For now.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Big Jim BBQ
Take a breath!

You obviously haven't forgot what you're doing. Looks deeeelicious.

[B]Charbroil CB940X[/B]
[B]Charbroil Bandera and an Old NB Bandera (in restoration)[/B]
[B]Charbroil [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR][COLOR=black] infrared[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=black]Small Charbroil gasser (sorry), Weber Performer, Thermos Grill-to - Go[/COLOR][/B]
[B]UDS x 2[/B]
[B]Super-Fast, Splash Proof, Precisely Accurate, Highly Visible [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] Thermapen[/B]
[B]Fast, Accurate and Shipped Free [COLOR=navy]BLUE [/COLOR]Thermapen, Maverick ET-73, Maverick ET-732 x2[/B]
Big Jim BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
N8man
Babbling Farker

Welcome To The BBQ Brethren!!!!
Now, Git On Over To The Cattle Call And Tell Us A Little 'Bout Yourself....

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
landarc

Wamp, this one is more like Bread and Butter pickles. The real Chow-chow, which I had hoped this would be is a lot more piquant, not hot, but with a bite. This stuff is good, but, it could be better for my palate. I do have some pulled pork that it is gonna get tested on as well.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 07-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
bigabyte

That stuff looks great! I would love to dig in and help you eat it. Isn't that about 6 months worth of meat for you though?
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Who left the gate from Wood Pile unlocked? Looks great.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Who are you and what have you done with Landarc?

Nice looking food, Bob!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
That stuff looks great! I would love to dig in and help you eat it. Isn't that about 6 months worth of meat for you though?
No, it should last...hey, where did all that meat go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Who left the gate from Wood Pile unlocked? Looks great.
I think it was Bigabyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Who are you and what have you done with Landarc?
I don't know. (yes, that is an inside joke)

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
gtr

Nice! You will most definitely not be banned for that.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #13
landarc

below is my entire blog post for the pulled pork, no need to go to blog.
I made pulled pork today, not some fancy plated braised in stout pulled pork or raised by loving hands of Russian maidens and allowed to eat only Italian acorns pulled pork. Just plain old traditional pulled pork, from an unnamed pig, slow cooked over charcoal and wood. I chose to use a mix of "Cherry Rub" and "Sweet and Spicy Rub" made by Steph Franklin from Simply Marvelous BBQ, Steph is making some of the best rubs out there and it is my go to rub. I mixed these two half/half mostly because I wanted to rub heavily and I didn't order soon enough to have a full bottle of either.

I had the kettle set up for off-set heat, settled in at 275F and waiting for the pork. I had purchased a 3.5lb partial butt, since my usual folks that I dump my leftover sack-O-pork on are traveling. It was a mediocre piece of butchering, but, an excellent piece of pork. Here it is with the first coating of rub.
As you can see, the butt is a little loose, it was partially separated in the fat vein and at the bone, I had to practice a little butcher twine work to get it to a more or less uniform shape (depending on your feeling in uniform). In this next image, the pork has been tied and sat for 40 minutes with a fan running, this sets a skin (pellicle) to adhere the second coating of rub to. The combination of sugar, salt and the proteins drawn from the meat forming the pellicle allows for adhering the rub without using any other ingredients. Next image is with the second rub.

Basically, once this was done and the rub was set a little more, I placed the now well coated hunk of meat into the kettle at 275F for the next 6 hours, this created a very nice bark, a deep rich color and a very tender pork butt. Here is it just prior to resting.
I wrapped into the foil, then inside of a warmed towel to rest and continue to cook slowly and cruise down to pulling temperature. This process takes an hour, believe it or not, an hour is really minimal for this part of the cook. Then I pulled the meat into chunks for cooling and storing, as I intend to eat tomorrow.
Initial taste testing and snacking indicates that this is some terrific pulled pork, I actually added in some more of the original rub mix and will allow to cool. Tomorrow, I will reheat for sandwiches, I can't say how many at this point. Here is a close-up showing the texture, which I hope you can see, is not the least mushy.
A funny aside, I forgot that I had tied the butt, so when I went to pull it, the meat would not pull. My first thought was 'oh no, I pulled a rookie mistake! How could I do that?'. But, no, it was then I noticed the string, cut it and the whole thing came right apart. Whew!

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 07-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #14
landarc

and now the asparagus post, again, in it's entirety, so Vinny doesn't need to ask...
I eat veggies, well, asparagus

I ate something other than meat, actually, dinner consisted completely of grilled asparagus. I found some very good looking asparagus with large diameter spears, which work best on a grill. I cleaned, trimmed, washed them, then coated with olive oil, kosher salt and Phu Quoc black and white pepper mix. Here is the raw stuff.
These were grilled direct over the hot coals of the kettle as the pork butt was cooking. They cooked up very nicely on the lower heat of the kettle that I normally use for smoking. Here is the end result.
I basically ate this plate for lunch, a little mayo was added for some of the asparagus. although it didn't really need it. I really like what the incredibly aromatic Phu Quoc black/white pepper mix does for grilled foods.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 07-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
landarc

And finally the chicken, which included human experimentation...
I am back! Chicken Beta testing

Thanks to Tom from Big Butz BBQ Sauce, I actually got back on the kettle today. Due to recent health issues, I haven't been cooking out there (the backyard, oh Lordy!). After hacking the kettle loose from what Spring hath wrought during my rehab, I got it fired up to cooking around 275F, this was mostly because I was going to cook a pork butt for tomorrow. Tom had sent me some BBQ rubs to test, they are in late beta testing and I think he has a winner.

I chose to go with chicken thighs, easy to cook, easy to eat. I skewered them, as I intended to cook them vertically in my kettle, which allows for some more effective rendering at lower heats. I rubbed with Tom's new rub, cleverly code named 'Chicken Dust' (they'll never guess what this is for Mooohaahaha) . Then into the kettle along with the pork butt (which had been in there for a few hours already.

The chicken pieces were half sauced and half dry, this was to get a taste for the rub alone and the rub with the sauce. I consider this very important, as the way the rub and the sauce work together is the real way that we taste sauced BBQ. I happen to prefer sauced chicken off the grill. The texture of the new rub was excellent, a medium grain, not a dust really, handled easily, coated and adhered well, evenly distributed when dusted a' la chef sprinkling.
The chicken cooked for 45 minutes until almost done, when I applied some Big Butz Hot-style BBQ Sauce to two of the thighs. 15 minutes later, it was removed. I allow chicken to rest for 15 minutes lightly tented. Here is what we end up with. First, chicken with no sauce and then chicken with sauce.
I hope Tom brings this rub to market, it has an exceptional flavor and has a good balance. It also worked very well with the sauce, really complementing the overall flavor. Tom's stated goal was to get a rub that really says 'chicken' which I think he has gotten very close to hitting that nail squarely.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]