Celery Seed Cured Smoked Bacon

D

Derek

Hello Hermano's & Hermana's.

I have a talked inclusively to all the butchers in my local town & to some of you guys and gals ( cowgirl in particular ).

And they said to get away from the salt cures use celery seed brine for 3 days in the fridge.

So this morning I took the liberty and got my honey & garlic out and made a savory honey & garlic injection mix. And injected that into the bacon!

Anyways, Here's some photo's of the progress. I'll let you guys know what happens in 3 day's when I smoke it.

Hopefully I will be able to take it to 140*f to kill the germs then to cut it and refreeze the slices for future use!

The Pork Belly!
823637086_qkybC-L.jpg

The Pork Belly Rub!
823637205_tdBYp-L.jpg

The Honey flavored Galric mix
823637105_QRAxn-L.jpg

The celery seed brine!
823637248_hkZMi-L.jpg

Damn Derek you sure are cooking your arse off! I'm liking all your pron. I'm really anxious to see how the bacon comes out. Looks and sounds great so far! :-D

Damn Derek you sure are cooking your arse off! I'm liking all your pron. I'm really anxious to see how the bacon comes out. Looks and sounds great so far! :-D
Thanks bro, I love cooking specially with smoke.

Now once I actually get a smoker that produces fire & smoke LQQK OUT! :)

Thank you everyone. I really love smoking and it's in my BLOOD 4 LIFE!

here's A PHOTO of my pbelly in the mix

823637260_YYtZJ-L.jpg

Man I'm so very addicted to smoking/grilling it's not even funny at all!

Okay Derek...my turn...

I sure would like to get some more information on this celery seed cure. I've Googled every combination and can't find anything that would show me how this works. Since you've started the process maybe you can enlighten me/us.

What properties are there in celery seed that actually cures the bacon? Inquiring minds want to know.

Okay Derek...my turn...

I sure would like to get some more information on this celery seed cure. I've Googled every combination and can't find anything that would show me how this works. Since you've started the process maybe you can enlighten me/us.

What properties are there in celery seed that actually cures the bacon? Inquiring minds want to know.
According to my butcher I always go to his distributor said that celery seed does curing some what like salt does. And his distributor is a small town fellow like some of you guys and cowgirl who does his own meat thanks to his farm!

He said the celery seed bacon tasted good since it's been cured that way! and I'll let everyone know.......

Great looking cook you done got started for sure!
Thanks man.

According to my butcher I always go to his distributor said that celery seed does curing some what like salt does. And his distributor is a small town fellow like some of you guys and cowgirl who does his own meat thanks to his farm!

He said the celery seed bacon tasted good since it's been cured that way! and I'll let everyone know.......

Thanks man.

Come on! You've got to do better than that. Did they give you a recipe? What's the ratios?

Okay Derek...my turn...

Hey Larry, it looks like essentially the celery seed & juice have natural nitrates in them, essentially he would be getting natural sodium nitrate instead of chemically produced nitrates found in TQ and such

The fellow is all sorts of angry about something to do with it - http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/697741

Come on! You've got to do better than that. Did they give you a recipe? What's the ratios?
He gave me the recipe it's celery seed and h2o.

Seriously that's it and let it be in the fridge for a week ( but that was for more then a few pounds though ) so I'm doing 3 day's not 7 day's honestly I can give you the place and you can talk to the fellow if you don't believe me!

Google "Celery Seed" & "Cure" and it comes back with 1,000s of hits about GOUT.

Go figure. I'm going to have to look into this for my Snouts to Tails blog...

Very interesting...I have never heard of this before, but very intrigued. I love Celery Seed so I'm actually interested in finding out about this myself.

Google "Celery Seed" & "Cure" and it comes back with 1,000s of hits about GOUT.

Go figure. I'm going to have to look into this for my Snouts to Tails blog...
If you want me too I can call my butcher next friday when hes in and I can see what else he say's!

Here is an article about vegetables containing high levels of nitrates, but does not specifically address using them to cure meat.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/nutrition/DJ0974.html

Here's a patent application for a process of curing meat with celery nitrates:
http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20080305213

And finally an article discussing how concentrated celery juice is used for creating "no-nitrate cured meats" at places like Whole Foods (I have never heard of these before though, guess I missed them)
http://wholefoodusa.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/nitrate-cured-meats-salami-hot-dogs-etc/

Back